Get yer used children's books while they last . . .

Just_A_Guy

The concern is that old books had lead in the ink. And no, Pam, it's unfortunately not a joke. Remember all those lead-tainted toys from China we were hearing about last year? Well, Congress had to Do Somethingâ„¢. And CPSIA is what they did.

The same congressional act also applies to used children's clothing and toys: it has to be tested for lead before it's sold at a secondhand store, and last I heard new clothing for children under 12 is now not allowed to have rhinestones (which apparently contain trace amounts of lead).

Overlawyered.com has been chronicling the situation for some time, but the major media outlets seem to be largely ignoring the issue.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

If it's the legislation I'm thinking about, it's also threatening to put lots of people out of business. Child's ATV's have lead in engine compartments. Some kid furniture has lead components. My next door neighbor runs a Catholic website - he estimates this could impact 20-30% of his business (people buying stuff for a kid's first communion.

It's madness, and it needs to be stopped.

LM

President Bush was the president who signed CPSIA. The regulatory agency had been "bending" the text of the statute in an attempt to not apply it to situations like this; but a recent court decision held that the agency must conform to the plain language of the statute.

Guest Believer_1829

President Bush was the president who signed CPSIA. The regulatory agency had been "bending" the text of the statute in an attempt to not apply it to situations like this; but a recent court decision held that the agency must conform to the plain language of the statute.

Who was in charge of Congress when it passed? What was the Congressional vote total?

Who was in charge of Congress when it passed? What was the Congressional vote total?

So glad you asked:

On the final Conference committee version:

House 424-1 (the 1 being Ron Paul, Republican).

Senate 89-3 (the 3 being Jon Kyl, Tom Coburn, and Jim DeMint--all Republicans).

Signed the Bill: George W. Bush, Republican.

Guest Believer_1829

So glad you asked:

On the final Conference committee version:

House 424-1 (the 1 being Ron Paul, Republican).

Senate 89-3 (the 3 being Jon Kyl, Tom Coburn, and Jim DeMint--all Republicans).

Signed the Bill: George W. Bush, Republican.

So the 4 to vote against it were Republican, Ok.

Now, who introduced the bill?

I am assuming the Demoncrats were in control of Congress when it was passed?

Seeing those numbers wouldn't a veto have been overridden anyways?

Believer, if you're out to exonerate Bush on this--you're going to fail.

Even if he felt his hands were tied, he didn't have to sign the bill. Bills not signed or vetoed within ten days of passage become the law unless Congress adjourns during that time.

Guest Believer_1829

Believer, if you're out to exonerate Bush on this--you're going to fail.

Even if he felt his hands were tied, he didn't have to sign the bill. Bills not signed or vetoed within ten days of passage become the law unless Congress adjourns during that time.

Fail on trying to blame Bush for you, good sir.

OK. We both failed. It wasn't Bush's fault, and it wasn't not his fault. Whatever.

And apparently a bunch of alien body snatchers came in and replaced almost the entire Republican delegation. But only for that vote (er . . . six votes). :rolleyes:

Seriously I'm glad I kept most of the books since my childhood. They hold a lot of sentimental value. Plus so many of those books are better than some of the books put out today.

It just makes me sick to think that good books just because they are older will be destroyed.

Seriously I'm glad I kept most of the books since my childhood. They hold a lot of sentimental value. Plus so many of those books are better than some of the books put out today.

It just makes me sick to think that good books just because they are older will be destroyed.

They aren't being destroyed because they're old but because they may contain lead. Probably a distinction without a difference, but a distinction nonetheless.