LDS Faith Monotheistic?

lattelady

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Elohel,

I just wanted to say one thing about the comments you made about God and Him being worshipped. You said -He doesn't have an ego problem, -He doesn't have some odd need for us to worship Him, -it's not our purpose to worship Him, -and He can get along just fine without our worship.

There is a story in the Bible in the gospel of Mark about a woman who came into a home (Simon's) where Jesus was having supper and took a very expensive/precious bottle of perfume and broke it and poured it on Jesus' head. People who were there who saw it were angry at the waste of it. They judged her and said if she was just going to dump it out she could've just sold it and given the money to the poor. Jesus told them to leave her alone. "Let her alone; why trouble ye her? she hath wrought a good work on me. for ye have the poor with you always, and whensoever ye will ye may do them good: but me ye have not always. She hath done what she could: she is come aforehand to anoint my body to the burying. Verily I say unto yo u, wheresoever this gospel shall be preached throughout the whole world, this also that she hath done shall be spoken of for a memorial of her." Mark 14:6-9

I think this is such a beautiful picture of worship. (showing God how much He is WORTH). Does He have an ego problem? No. Did he have an odd need to be worshipped? No. Was it her purpose to worship Him and bring Him glory? Yes. And she would from then on be honored world-wide because she did what she could to honor her savior before His death. She was paying Him honor and respect. Can He get along just fine without it? OF couse. He's all-sufficient. He's God. But He loves to hear our praise. And He deserves our praise.

Edited by lattelady

Elohel,

I just wanted to say one thing about the comments you made about God and Him being worshipped. You said -He doesn't have an ego problem, -He doesn't have some odd need for us to worship Him, -it's not our purpose to worship Him, -and He can get along just fine without our worship.

There is a story in the Bible in the gospel of Mark about a woman who came into a home (Simon's) where Jesus was having supper and took a very expensive/precious bottle of perfume and broke it and poured it on Jesus' head. People who were there who say it were angry at the waste of it. They judged her and said if she was just going to dump it out she couldn't sold it and given the money to the poor. Jesus told them to leave her alone. "Let her alone; why trouble ye her? she hath wrought a good work on me. for ye have the poor with you always, and whensoever ye will ye may do them good: but me ye have not always. She hath done what she could: she is come aforehand to anoint my body to the burying. Verily I say unto yo u, wheresoever this gospel shall be preached throughout the whole world, this also that she hath done shall be spoken of for a memorial of her." Mark 14:6-9

I think this is such a beautiful picture of worship. (showing God how much He is WORTH). Does He have an ego problem? No. Did he have an odd need to be worshipped? No. Was it her purpose? Yes. And she would from then on be honored world-wide because she did what she could to honor her savior before His death. She was paying Him honor and respect. Can He get along just fine without it? OF couse. He's all-sufficient. He's God. But He loves to hear our praise. And He deserves our praise.

I think he does want our gratitude and thanks. Praise conjures up thoughts of repetitive platitudes. Christ said, if you love me, keep my commandments. Obedience and being submissive to the Lord's will in all things shows our Love to our Heavenly Father for the gift of Jesus Christ and HIS Infinite and Eternal Atonement.

Hidden

Anatess,

I'm not Catholic or LDS; but I WILL explain to you, just so you know for SURE what my salvation hinges on: it hinges on Christ alone and what He has done for me on the Cross. The gospel message is what my salvation hinges on: that Christ died for me, because I am a sinner and was separated from a Holy God because of my sin. He took my sin and shame upon Himself and became my substitute. In my sin, my punishment should've been death. But Christ took my punishment for me. He died in my place, was buried and then rose again by the power of God after three days! My salvation hinges on my faith in that--my HEART belief, not just head-belief--my faith that Jesus died for my sins. Romans 10:9,10 "If you confess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved."

Anatess, LDS can completely agree with this. Where we tend to view things differently is on the term "saved." We believe as Jesus taught "in my Father's house are many mansions." We also believe Paul when he said he knew a man who went to the "third heaven." We believe there are levels of salvation, beginning with a simple faith in Christ's atonement. Above and beyond that, we can develop our faith through obedience to the laws of Christ, and as our faith grows, we become eligible for greater rewards and blessings in heaven.