What Is Pride?

In my post about the importance of regular church attendance I saw the following post from K Anderson

K Anderson wrote.

It is unfortunate that too many Latter-day Saints are willing to DIE for their religion, yet they will not LIVE FOR IT, is a concept I have created.

They will not go to church and there is one simple reason: PRIDE, which is the root of all universal sin with the love of money.

The question is: why won't they go to church?

Answer? Because they think they have already learned everything and cannot be helped more.

The will fall away and will not endure to the end. You can pick them out from the congregations. Tehy wil will become complacent and then they won't care anymore.

This made me think about Pride and how it is manifested in our lives. From what I gather from K Andersons¡Ç quote above, too much pride is when it leads you from that which is right and true to the love of money and what it can produce in our lives.

Now the moral sin of negligence, and not church attendance in this example. If we do not let the power of money be the driving force in making a wrong decision then it is simply negligence. If the root of the wrong decision is more money to ourselves then it is negligence with a pride base... would that be close to being correct?

Would every wrong decision we make be related to pride?

If someone is lost in pride and making most decisions based on how it will benefit them financially or how looks to those around them, how can they get out of that viscous cycle? I would think it to become humble but is there more?

This is the part of the quote that I got this new topic from:

PRIDE is the root of all universal sin with the love of money.

I believe pride is an effort to increas one's importance or to diminish the importance of others. It is an effort to justify one's self or actions over that of others.

Pride is thinking that what we do is okay but what someone else does is not okay.

Pride is shelfishness

The worse thing about pride is - any attempt to over come pride only results in one becoming over come by pride.

Pride is pointing out what is wrong with others.

Pride is what happens when an effort is made (like this post) to excempt one's self from being a problem.

The Traveler

Originally posted by Traveler@Aug 14 2005, 03:32 PM

I believe pride is an effort to increas one's importance or to diminish the importance of others. It is an effort to justify one's self or actions over that of others.

Pride is thinking that what we do is okay but what someone else does is not okay.

Pride is shelfishness

The worse thing about pride is - any attempt to over come pride only results in one becoming over come by pride.

Pride is what happens when an effort is made (like this post) to excempt one's self from being a problem.

The Traveler

Traveler what you said is really confusing to me.

"Pride is what happens when an effort is made (like this post) to excempt one's self from being a problem."

Is pride one of those things we should not talk about for the fear of appearing prideful ourselves? :blink:

And then this..."The worse thing about pride is - any attempt to over come pride only results in one becoming over come by pride."

So what do you do if you have developed some prideful ways? Is your only recourse to die a prideful sinner? :huh:

Originally posted by pushka@Aug 14 2005, 07:23 PM

SF, I was a little confused about Traveller's post too...but too cowardly to admit it...lol. I'm glad you were brave enough to ask him to explain it a little clearer? :)

Ok...I'll jump on the bandwagon....since I'm a LOT confused with this:

I didn't see anything, of the sort, in her post trying to exempt herself from being a problem. :blink:

The word 'pride' has two different definitions. I believe that some have taken the word and turned it into a bad concept all the time, which kind of bothers me. This is a pet peeve.

My MIL says that you shouldn't tell your child that you are 'proud' of them, but rather you are 'pleased' with them.

I say that's BS. When I tell my son I'm proud of him, as I do almost every day in some form or another, I'm not being haughty or arrogant. I'm simply telling him that he did a great job and that I'm satisfied or pleased with what he's doing.

It seems to me that it is something ingrained in the LDS culture that this word has a bad connotation. I don't understand that.

I've been reading and re-reading Traveller's and the original post on this thread today, trying to figure out where Traveller is coming from in his reply...

I hope that I am on the right track in assuming that he is not referring to SF's post as being 'this post', and is actually referring to K Anderson's post instead. That he is thinking that perhaps K Anderson may have become too proud of his own church attendance, and is therefore judging the others in the congregation, who he assumes will become complacent and stop attending church, due to their own pride...hope this is making sense, btw. So, Traveller, can you confirm that you think it is K Anderson who thinks he is not part of this problem of 'pride'?

To me, there is a difference between being genuinely proud of something you or someone else has achieved, and being boastful and I think that is the difference that Traveller was also pointing out...

I feel humbled by the replies.

I think that we all might demonstrate some pride in ourselves as we usually present ourselves clean and groomed everyday. I think the same is true when we treat others kindly and don¡Çt act stupidly. I believe that by doing these things we are also showing pride in ourselves as children of our Heavenly Father.

To me pride gone wrong is when we take in tendencies of the natural man therefore seeking things of the world and placing righteous and true actions secondary. So I guess what I am saying it that we can have pride without acting pride fully. Thinking pride fully would be right in-between the two and having pride, thinking pride fully and then acting pride fully which can place others in a position of being hurt.

Originally posted by pushka@Aug 15 2005, 05:26 AM

I've been reading and re-reading Traveller's and the original post on this thread today, trying to figure out where Traveller is coming from in his reply...

I hope that I am on the right track in assuming that he is not referring to SF's post as being 'this post', and is actually referring to K Anderson's post instead. That he is thinking that perhaps K Anderson may have become too proud of his own church attendance, and is therefore judging the others in the congregation, who he assumes will become complacent and stop attending church, due to their own pride...hope this is making sense, btw. So, Traveller, can you confirm that you think it is K Anderson who thinks he is not part of this problem of 'pride'?

To me, there is a difference between being genuinely proud of something you or someone else has achieved, and being boastful and I think that is the difference that Traveller was also pointing out...

Sorry for the confusion - I was refering to myself and my post. The finger was pointed at me and no one else. I believe the problem of pride is when we try to convince someone else that the pride problem is for them and not for me. Sorry again - as you were.

The Traveler

Something occurred to me... Is it wrong to tell your children that you are proud of them when they do something good. Somewhere probably here I read that it is better to say that you are PLEASED with them and not PROUD of them. It just doesn't seem to carry the same meaning to me.

Originally posted by Strawberry Fields@Aug 27 2005, 10:49 AM

Something occurred to me... Is it wrong to tell your children that you are proud of them when they do something good. Somewhere probably here I read that it is better to say that you are PLEASED with them and not PROUD of them. It just doesn't seem to carry the same meaning to me.

Kind of like "I am pleased that you finished your dinner, but I am proud of you for working extra hard to get a better grade at school"? I'm pleased with my kids when they do what is expected of them, but I am proud of them when they go beyond the normal expectation for them or their peers. Rewarding excellence is a good thing, and being proud of a child who does well is not a bad thing, in my opinion.

God wants us to go beyond the minimum, and I think His words about his eldest son were that He was WELL-PLEASED, not just pleased. He is proud of Jesus, and He let us know about it.

Guest Member_Deleted

Originally posted by Strawberry Fields+Aug 14 2005, 06:46 PM-->

<!--QuoteBegin-Traveler@Aug 14 2005, 03:32 PM

I believe pride is an effort to increas one's importance or to diminish the importance of others.  It is an effort to justify one's self or actions over that of others.

Pride is shelfishness

The Traveler

Traveler what you said is really confusing to me.

"Pride is what happens when an effort is made (like this post) to excempt one's self from being a problem."

Is pride one of those things we should not talk about for the fear of appearing prideful ourselves? :blink:

And then this..."The worse thing about pride is - any attempt to over come pride only results in one becoming over come by pride."

So what do you do if you have developed some prideful ways? Is your only recourse to die a prideful sinner? :huh:

LOL Strawberry! You are a hoot!

Well I think pride can only be over come by totally submitting ourselves to God. Allowing all things in our lives to be put in His hands. This doesn't mean we aren't to do all the work ourselves, but really just letting go of ego, self-wants and desires and allow the Lord to be the one pleased.