Health care study.

annewandering

I ran across this news story and thought you all might be interested.

45,000 American deaths associated with lack of insurance - CNN.com

This does seem to be the hot topic, doesn't it?

I read the article too, and thought it was a good one. It's the chronic conditions that you would see a doctor for that don't get treated. How many doctors will see a patient in their office for free? And you don't go to the ER for a simple 'blah', no matter how many years you feel that way.

Hidden

Poll Finds Most Doctors Support Public Option : NPR

Most doctors — 63 percent — say they favor giving patients a choice that would include both public and private insurance. That's the position of President Obama and of many congressional Democrats. In addition, another 10 percent of doctors say they favor a public option only; they'd like to see a single-payer health care system. Together, the two groups add up to 73 percent.

When the American public is polled, anywhere from 50 to 70 percent favor a public option. So that means that when compared to their patients, doctors are bigger supporters of a public option.

Elphaba

When I had my problem, talisyn, what was it that you guys did that convinced me to go to the doctor again? I remember thinking it was a waste of time since they had already told me that no one would do anything for me.

I know why I decided to go though. When I died I didn't want you all to think you hadn't done all you could do. I did know it was a matter of hours or very short days before I died since only one more episode would have been my last.

Emergency rooms cost so much I would never have done that at all.

I ran across this news story and thought you all might be interested.

45,000 American deaths associated with lack of insurance - CNN.com

Absolutely! i wonder how many people whom have insurance and are protesting this issue actually understand the facts and horrible realities that millions of hard working patriotic citizens go thru every day, and also how many billions go out the window every year, or millions every day; because of emergency room treatment on the uninsured; {by the way the statistic you quoted went up from a known 18,000 to an updated 45,000}. Thank you for sharing!:)

Absolutely! i wonder how many people whom have insurance and are protesting this issue actually understand the facts and horrible realities that millions of hard working patriotic citizens go thru every day, and also how many billions go out the window every year, or millions every day; because of emergency room treatment on the uninsured; {by the way the statistic you quoted went up from a known 18,000 to an updated 45,000}. Thank you for sharing!:)

me...I am part of an Angry Mob.....

Sounds like the people mentioned in the article dies out of ignorance to me.

I want to see a statistic of how many of these 45,000 people own cars with a monthly car loan payment and are paying insurance on them... own big screen TVs, pay monthly cable bills, pay monthly cellphone bills, have a mortgage on a house with a bonus room, eat at McDonald's 3 times a week, smoke, drink alcohol, etc. etc.

I want to see a statistic of how many of these 45,000 people own cars with a monthly car loan payment and are paying insurance on them... own big screen TVs, pay monthly cable bills, pay monthly cellphone bills, have a mortgage on a house with a bonus room, eat at McDonald's 3 times a week, smoke, drink alcohol, etc. etc.

You wicked conservative sounding person you :eek::lol: How dare you call for personal responsibility!!

Well I can give you the stats of 1...when I was without insurance I lived with my baby in a back bedroom at my parents house, working full time at Wal-Mart. My paycheck covered food (no fast food, real food that needed cooking), gas to drive the 50 miles to and from work each day, and the rest for electricity and water. No cell, no TV, no cable, $500.00 car was paid for. Thank you for asking :cool:

Well I can give you the stats of 1...when I was without insurance I lived with my baby in a back bedroom at my parents house, working full time at Wal-Mart. My paycheck covered food (no fast food, real food that needed cooking), gas to drive the 50 miles to and from work each day, and the rest for electricity and water. No cell, no TV, no cable, $500.00 car was paid for. Thank you for asking :cool:

you don't count....the 45,000 people thats being asked about are all dead....you are still alive, so you don't count.:)

I'll give you another stat of 2... when we didn't have insurance, we didn't have kids, led healthy lives, made over $60K a year, and went to a holistic doctor paid in cash. We didn't want insurance. If we would have died then, we'll be in the 45,000 stat.

Doctors who support a health care plan are fraudulent because they did a study on the correlation between no insurance and dying?

Maybe it is their experience that led them to do the study? Maybe it was their experience that led to their support of health care insurance?

If you are referring to my comment....read the post. Clearly, Doctors are opposed to the idea, not in support of it.

Two-thirds, or 65%, of doctors say they oppose the proposed government expansion plan. This contradicts the administration's claims that doctors are part of an "unprecedented coalition" supporting a medical overhaul.

It also differs with findings of a poll released Monday by National Public Radio that suggests a "majority of physicians want public and private insurance options," and clashes with media reports such as Tuesday's front-page story in the Los Angeles Times with the headline "Doctors Go For Obama's Reform."

Nowhere in the Times story does it say doctors as a whole back the overhaul. It says only that the AMA — the "association representing the nation's physicians" and what "many still regard as the country's premier lobbying force" — is "lobbying and advertising to win public support for President Obama's sweeping plan."

The AMA, in fact, represents approximately 18% of physicians and has been hit with a number of defections by members opposed to the AMA's support of Democrats' proposed health care overhaul.

We need to merge these 2 threads...

Anne, please read this post.

The post gives one reason why many, many, many doctors oppose the public option. The private option is bad enough as it stands. This is not the healthcare reform they are looking for.

If you are referring to my comment....read the post. Clearly, Doctors are opposed to the idea, not in support of it.

Two-thirds, or 65%, of doctors say they oppose the proposed government expansion plan. This contradicts the administration's claims that doctors are part of an "unprecedented coalition" supporting a medical overhaul.

It also differs with findings of a poll released Monday by National Public Radio that suggests a "majority of physicians want public and private insurance options," and clashes with media reports such as Tuesday's front-page story in the Los Angeles Times with the headline "Doctors Go For Obama's Reform."

Nowhere in the Times story does it say doctors as a whole back the overhaul. It says only that the AMA — the "association representing the nation's physicians" and what "many still regard as the country's premier lobbying force" — is "lobbying and advertising to win public support for President Obama's sweeping plan."

The AMA, in fact, represents approximately 18% of physicians and has been hit with a number of defections by members opposed to the AMA's support of Democrats' proposed health care overhaul.

Related to my comments about medical schools, it's the AMA who is restricting an expansion of teaching schools because they saw medical salaries dropping, and created an artificial reduction in supply so doctors could keep their salaries high. This led to the creation of "physician assistants" who are essentially old time doctors who aren't allowed to hold the title, because the AMA doesn't want a saturation of cheaper labor. You gotta keep up that prestige and salary.