Book of Mormon Trivia

stickybuzz

Stickybuzz I just want you to know that I wasn't arguing this with you. Vort brought up a good question and it was fun to do some research on it. Made me think and do some reading.

It is interesting though..Nephi was so detailed about so many other things..why didn't he mention who this king was he annointed?

Ironically, he probably did. In the Large Plates. The king wasn't a major enough character to warrant discussion in the Small Plates.

How old was Moroni (captain) when he died? Can you give probable causes of death?

He was 43. (Reference: Alma 43:3 gives 18th year of the reign of judges, while Alma 43:17 tells us Moroni was 25 at the time. Alma 63:3 tells us Moroni died in the 36th year of the reign of judges.)

Cause of death? I'm going with an old war wound. :)

He was 43. (Reference: Alma 43:3 gives 18th year of the reign of judges, while Alma 43:17 tells us Moroni was 25 at the time. Alma 63:3 tells us Moroni died in the 36th year of the reign of judges.)

Cause of death? I'm going with an old war wound. :)

Bingo! The only possible problem is that Alma 43:17 does not explicitly say that Moroni assumed command of the armies at that very year when he was 25, only that he assumed command at 25. But the verse certainly seems to indicate that Mormon was referring to events in that very year, which would make Moroni about 43 when he died.

War wounds are a very real and probable cause of death, even years after the battles, in a pre-antibiotic era. Another very real possibility is "fevers", mentioned in Alma 46:40, which may well have been responsible for the seemingly early deaths of others around that time, such as Shiblon. Especially for those weakened by war wounds whose immune systems would already have been somewhat compromised, such "fevers" (perhaps some strain of flu?) might have been fatal epidemics every few years.

Another very real possibility is "fevers", mentioned in Alma 46:40, which may well have been responsible for the seemingly early deaths of others around that time, such as Shiblon.

Haha...I had an institute teacher who used to make fun of that verse. He said he could just picture the prophet's wife hanging over his shoulder as he was engraving the plates, going "Say something about my herbs! Say something about me!!"

Alma 49:4 mentions casting arrows over the wall but doesn't specifically mention the word.

Yes, this was something of, not really a trick question, but an ambiguous question. Your answer of Alma 49:4 is probably the best, which I did not even become aware of until last night AFTER I had posted this question. (Thanks, Jeff Lindsay!) I was originally thinking of Jarom 8, which talks about "the dart, and the javelin". Neither of those sounds exactly like an atlatl, but either could possibly be referring to it. But I like Alma 49:4 better. Much more convincing.

The odd thing is that the Lamanites, having once had the more advanced bow-and-arrow technology, should revert instead to the more primitive, less accurate atlatl. Why would they do this? My opinion: The preexisting natives in the area, whom the Nephites quickly took to calling "Lamanites", did not have bow-and-arrow technology, and like people everywhere, were resistant to change. Just because one person or a group of people had bows and arrows, they were not obviously enough superior to the traditional thrown weapons to cause the natives to abandon their centuries-old technologies with which they were already highly skilled. That is, bows and arrows weren't the fad, so for the time being, they stayed with what they knew.

Was it perhaps to be able to spring more at one time and at a much higher distance than what they could have done with just the bow and arrow one at a time thing? Just thinking out loud here.

Can you give five names known among the Nephites that consist of the phonetic prefix "se" (or an equivalent derivative) attached to an otherwise recognizable name?

EDIT: Deleted my answer to Pam's question -- Wingnut beat me to it.

Edited by Vort

Can you give five names known among the Nephites that consist of the phonetic prefix "se" (or an equivalent derivative) attached to an otherwise recognizable name?

EDIT: Deleted my answer to Pam's question -- Wingnut beat me to it.

Seantum

(without looking in the Topical Guide, that's the onyl one that comes to mind at the moment)