What makes economies grow: Hell

Elphaba

Satan, the great motivator

The curious economic effects of religion

What makes economies grow? It’s a question that has occupied thinkers for centuries. Most of us would tick off things like education levels, openness to trade, natural resources, and political systems.

Here’s one you might not have considered: hell.

A pair of Harvard researchers recently examined 40 years of data from dozens of countries, trying to sort out the economic impact of religious beliefs or practices. They found that religion has a measurable effect on developing economies - and the most powerful influence relates to how strongly people believe in hell.

That hell could matter to economic growth might seem surprising, since you can’t prove it exists, let alone quantify it. It stands as one of the more intriguing findings in a growing body of recent research exploring how religion might influence the wealth and prosperity of societies. In recent years, Italian economists have presented findings that religion can boost GDP by increasing trust within a society; researchers in the United States showed that religion reduces corruption and increases respect for law in ways that boost overall economic growth. A number of researchers have documented how merchants used religious backgrounds to establish one another’s reliability.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I thought an interesting angle to this was that the Founding Fathers felt that religion had a positive effect on the populace. They themselves were not Christians--most of them were deists. (It was more complex than that, but for the sake of this post, I won’t expound on that.) But they urged the people to attend religious services, because they felt it would make for a more moral populace, which would, in turn, help to make the fledgling country a success. It looks like there may have been an economic benefit too, even though they might not have been aware of it.

Elphaba

I once knew an atheist who insisted he was more moral than I, because he did good simply to do good, not due to fear of God. Now, years later, I realize he lied to me. He just did it for the money!!! :-)

I don't understand. What did he say he was doing that was "good" that ended up with money in his pocket?

I don't think atheists are more moral than theists when they "do good," but I do think the reasons for doing what they do can be very different.

I bristle at the thought that theists only contribute to charity because their church told them to, though I do think this happens. However, I believe the vast majory do so because they truly want to help, and their Church provides the opportunities for them to contribute, whether it be money, volunteerism or something else.

Members of my very TBM family are extremely charitable, whether it's by monetary contributions in addition to the tithing they pay, or by volunteerism. I don't believe they do this because they are theists, but rather, because their charity is geuinely heartfelt.

Atheists don't have a "church" to help them discover ways to contribute, so, they must seek out ways to do so on their own, and I think that is the major difference between them and theists. But their reasons for wanting to help are every bit as charitable as are theists, and vice versa.

Elphaba

They themselves were not Christians--most of them were deists.

Most???? I think Madison, Hamilton and Jay were all Christian....didn't they write the Constitution? George Washing was certainly no Deist....Episcopalian I think. Ben Franklin and Thoma Jefferson? Did they actually EVER profess to being avowed Deists?

I don't understand. What did he say he was doing that was "good" that ended up with money in his pocket?

:::cough::: so much for my feeble attempt at humor. Even if the joke wasn't funny, the :-) should have indicated what I was trying for. No...he would not personally get direct money for his good deeds, but rather a better economy and plusher society.

Atheists don't have a "church" to help them discover ways to contribute, so, they must seek out ways to do so on their own, and I think that is the major difference between them and theists. But their reasons for wanting to help are every bit as charitable as are theists, and vice versa.

Elphaba

United Way

Communities in Schools

Boys & Girls Clubs

Big Brothers/Sisters

Public School tutoring and other volunteer activities

Non-sectarian food banks, homeless shelters, abuse centers, etc.

And I know that many do participate in such activites. Elpha, I was just funning a little. Although, I have actually heard/read an atheist make the moral superiority argument. I considered it a bit of hyperbole to counter the moral pride that many religionists probably seem to exhibit.

Well, maybe its just because religion promotes good moral values - even if they are cultivated because of the fear of going to hell. It seems obvious to me that immorality rides great waves of success but crash profoundly taking everything with them.

Religions often promote a specific set of values. Whether those values are objectively moral or not depends on the religion and what values it promotes.