Does creationism have to conflict with evolution?

song_of_the_sun

What do people think? Is there a way to see the truth in both? Are they truly mutually exclusive?

Yes, by definition, Creationism explicitly denies evolution. The two are therefore utterly incompatible.

But then, I don't believe in Creationism, and it surely is not LDS doctrine. I do believe in the divine creation of the world; but I see no contradiction between that idea and the current theories of organic evolution.

But then, I don't believe in Creationism, and it surely is not LDS doctrine. I do believe in the divine creation of the world; but I see no contradiction between that idea and the current theories of organic evolution.

Could you refresh me on what is LDS doctrine in reference to the beginning of the world and of us? I remember being taught that all the elements and ingredients were here on earth and god and us stirred them up, or something to that effect. What of Adam and Eve?

I have been away from church for awhile

What do people think? Is there a way to see the truth in both? Are they truly mutually exclusive?

The people that have coined the phrase “Creationism” have several ideas that are counter to evolution. For example it is purported that G-d created the first of every creature and that there is no significant genetic drift from what G-d created to additional species. Many Christians will say they believe in micro evolution but not macro evolution.

I have attempted to counter this thinking in the past by pointing out that without evolution Noah would not have enough room on the ark for housing just all the known species of worms. I am convinced that creationist do not want to consider all the evidence G-d has placed under our very noses. They have interpreted the “Bible” to suit them and they will not hear of anything else because, I think, they fear it will interfere with their belief in G-d, as the creator and they will thus lose their salvation. An so it is and appears to me that they will jump through any hoop, denounce any truth and support any notion that they think disproves evolution of the species.

The Traveler

The normal definition of Creationism is that the earth was created in 6 24-hour periods. They also believe the earth to be about 6000 years old. That conflicts with science, which states the earth was formed over billions of years old, and that man (or a man-like creature has been around for hundreds of thousands of years.

Where religion and science agree, I consider both on the right track. When neither agrees, and there is no definitive response from modern prophets, I keep an open mind; as there are hypotheses in both science and religion (even in Mormonism, which has very little actual official doctrine).

Could you refresh me on what is LDS doctrine in reference to the beginning of the world and of us?

Sure. God created the world and all that is in it, including us. Adam was the first man, and Adam and Eve are our primal parents, the common ancestors of all human beings.

Other than this, I know of no LDS doctrine on these subjects.