Joseph and Polygamy

riverogue

so you think Jesus was illegitimate?

Do you think God is a murderer?

I don't know if you right or wrong but you're applying human commandments to God. God makes rules for the children that he himself doesn't follow. Same as every parent.

Edited by hordak

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am looking for the best answer to a puzzling question that I have been confronted with repeatedly about Joseph Smith's marriage to a 14 year old girl. I don't remember her name. But they say that Joseph Smith couldn't have been a true prophet of even a righteous person, because he married a 14 year old girl. Joseph had said to the effect, that he didn't want to marry her, but was told by an angel that if he didn't, he would be struck down by the angel with a sword. So he did marry the girl. Now-a-days everyone of us would write-off a man claiming this as another Warren Jeffs. How do I explain this to my non-member friends that bring this up?

^_^ Oh man, at least would you think they can at least get the facts right? Not likely....I am sure by now someone had already gave you the answer.

To really understand Polygamy, read D&C 132 and note what the Lord states to the church. ;)

why we have polygamy

30 For if I will, saith the Lord of Hosts, raise up seed unto me, I will command my people...

(Book of Mormon | Jacob 2:30)

polygamy is the only way for a perfect being to have children.

Understanding Polygamy, read D&C 131 and D&C 132. First hand account from the Lord Himself.

Now Eve, even in the garden was perfectly capable of having offspring. What was lacking was knowledge. That is key when you have child like mind in a adult body.

so you think Jesus was illegitimate?

The problem with really dumb questions is that they only work with really dumb people.

1. No, I don't think Jesus was illegitmate.

2. Yes, I think that your idea that polygamy is required for salvation is wrong and silly.

What seals a marriage? The Holy Spirit does...

The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee...

(New Testament | Luke 1:35)

sounds like the HG binding two people together to me.

No one is asking whether or not you think the idea makes sense to you. You made a claim and I asked for evidence.

Obviously you have none, thus demonstrating my point... you just made the whole thing up.

You are right, Mary was a virgin, but Heavenly Father did sire the Child nonetheless. Would marriage be needed if a man and a woman decided to have a child through artificial insemination and raise it together, where the child would be their literal offspring?

Regards,

Vanhin

But God the Father didn'r raise Jesus, Joseph did and essentially adopted him as his own. It woudl be more akin to say, do you need a marriage if you act as a sperm donor to another couple, and the answer is of course no.

You don't think Heavenly Father raised Jesus?

Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?

Heavenly Father was with Jesus except for a few moments right at the end. Heavenly Father was not a nameless sperm donar. He was an active parent and participant in raising His Son.

I think Heavenly Father had as much hand in raising Jesus as He has a hand in raising all of us.

22 And now, behold, if Adam had not transgressed he would not have fallen, but he would have remained in the garden of Eden. And all things which were created must have remained in the same state in which they were after they were created; and they must have remained forever, and had no end.

23 And they would have had no achildren; wherefore they would have remained in a state of innocence, having no bjoy, for they knew no misery; doing no good, for they knew no sin.

(Book of Mormon | 2 Nephi 2:22 - 23)

Yes, I think Eve, and Heavenly Mother were/are capable of having children, and I agree that in the case of Eve it may have been a lack of knowledge. In the case of H.M. I think it might be a case of choice. I think one day Jesus will not be the only begotten, but that there are some steps that have to be taken before that can perfectly happen...

2 And in order to obtain the highest, a man must enter into this order of the priesthood [meaning the new and everlasting covenant of marriage];

(Doctrine and Covenants | Section 131:2)

It makes sense to me that polygamy is required for the highest degree for several reasons...

The answer for that one is who gave Hagar to Abraham and why...the Lord used this as example when He gave this revelation to Joseph Smith [D&C 93]

But God the Father didn'r raise Jesus, Joseph did and essentially adopted him as his own. It woudl be more akin to say, do you need a marriage if you act as a sperm donor to another couple, and the answer is of course no.

Joseph only taught things of the world but not of eternal truths. I see where ministering Spirits, along with those of the past, visit the Savior to instruct Him and not forgetting the FATHER in the end when He finally reached the level of Fullness, most likely was an open daily dialog.

A given example is Joseph Smith life...