Question about Mormon tithing

It is my understanding that the Mormon church still follows the law of tithing. I was wondering how that is justified since tithing was part of the law of Moses and I thought Christianity was based on the law of Moses being no longer in force. In the bible it went to support the Levites. Do Mormons still follow the law of Moses?

It is my understanding that the Mormon church still follows the law of tithing. I was wondering how that is justified since tithing was part of the law of Moses and I thought Christianity was based on the law of Moses being no longer in force. In the bible it went to support the Levites. Do Mormons still follow the law of Moses?

Good question. There are several points you need to understand:

• The law of Moses was fulfilled in Christ. That law itself was based on eternal principles; saying that the law of Moses was fulfilled doesn't therefore mean that we don't keep the Ten Commandments any more. The parts we no longer keep are those parts specific to the law of Moses, such as animal sacrifice and the various elements of ritual purity (e.g. don't eat pork, avoid menstruating women). The other elements, such as the Ten Commandments and the law of tithing, are eternal principles. Of course we keep them.
  • In the same vein, Mormons do not follow the law of Moses per se, but we certainly do strive to follow the principles upon which that law was based.
  • We have been specifically commanded to pay tithing; see D&C 119. So tithing is not ony an ancient law, but a modern one, as well.

According to Wikipedia there is far more to Tithing than just the Law of Moses. Apparently it was practiced in the time of Abraham as well. Put simply, a lot of people outside of the LDS Faith feel tithes are not just a Law of Moses thing.

Tithe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In the time of Abraham

According to the Genesis account, Abram, returning from a battle by the Dead Sea, was hailed by Melchizedek, king of Salem (Jerusalem) who was also the priest of El Elyon ("the Most High God") (Genesis 14:18):

18. And Melchizedek king of Salem brought forth bread and wine: and he was the priest of the most high God.

19. And he blessed him, and said, Blessed be Abram of the most high God, possessor of heaven and earth:

20. And blessed be the most high God, which hath delivered thine enemies into thy hand. And he gave him tithes of all.

(Genesis 14:18-20, Holy Bible, King James Version)

When Melchizedek appeared and offered Abram bread and wine and blessed him in the name of God, tithes were exchanged. While the biblical text is not precise in naming who actually gave the tithes, most believe Abram gave the tithes to Melchizedek. The verse records, "…and he gave him a tenth of everything;" the "he" could stand for either Melchizedek or Abram, or perhaps El Elyon Himself. A reference found in Hebrews 7:2 expresses the tradition that Abram gave Melchizedek the tithes, and this is the belief that is held by most Christians. Hebrews 7:4 indicates that Abram gave a tenth of the spoils and not necessarily all of his personal wealth. Also, this was the only reference of Abram tithing.

Later, in (Genesis 28:22), Abraham's grandson Jacob also made a commitment to give God back a tenth of his increase.

According to Christians, tithes are received by priests and high priests according to Hebrews 7:5. This may reflect the practice in the Second Temple period following Ezra's decree penalizing the Leviim for their failure to return to Israel en masse. The Hebrew Scriptures state that there is a distinct difference between priests (kohanim), the sons of Aaron, and the Leviim, the rest of the sons of Levi. The sons of Aaron were appointed to be priests and the tribe of Levi were appointed to minister to the priests and help in sacred matters(Numbers 18:1-7). The Children of Israel were commanded by God to give Bikkurim and Terumah to the kohanim and tithes to the sons of Levi. Numbers 18:11-24 In turn, the Leviim were commanded by God to give a tithe (a tenth) of the tithes they received to a priest. Numbers 18:26

The law of tithing precedes the Law of Moses. Abraham paid tithes to Melchizedek, but was not under the Law of Moses.

Second, new prophets can be guided as to what laws the Lord wishes us to abide in our day. One of those was a commandment to pay tithes.

Tithing is NOT "completely voluntary" in the Church. It is a commandment. To be baptized, one must covenant in the baptismal interview to live the law of tithing. To enter the temple, one must tithe. To hold major callings in the Church, one must tithe.

A person is not considered a member in full standing if that individual does not pay a full tithe. For this reason, we have every December in each ward a tithing settlement meeting between the bishop and the individual. The person declares to the bishop if he/she has been a full tithe payer or not.

Edited by rameumptom

A good example, during a meeting with the High Priests on Sunday, a brother mentioned a single mother needs a washer fix after she return from a family trip home. I look over and stated, why fix it, we should all provide the monies to purchase a new one for her. Now, if you can see the blank expression of those who do pay tithing faithfully but failed in understanding, those who are temple active are under a greater law than tithing when it comes to consecrating our time, talents, even our goods to the church or others. Yet, we have members who are barely making it, may miss a tithing payment but do not have problem in donating monies or goods to others in greater need.

The Law of Consecration is SWEET! It would be cool to get a large enough group together to live it.

At the risk of imitating a broken record: We are to live the law of consecration right now, or at least those of us who have received our endowment. We have already made that covenant. The fact that we don't currently live a united order is beside the point.

At the risk of imitating a broken record: We are to live the law of consecration right now, or at least those of us who have received our endowment. We have already made that covenant. The fact that we don't currently live a united order is beside the point.

Sorry for being a little dense about Mormonism but what exactly is the law of consecration? Is like having all things in common?

Tithing is NOT "completely voluntary" in the Church. It is a commandment. To be baptized, one must covenant in the baptismal interview to live the law of tithing. To enter the temple, one must tithe. To hold major callings in the Church, one must tithe.

Well, just about anything is voluntary in the church.

By calling the tithe voluntary, I mean the bishopric don't knock down your door to get it.

Even though it is a commandment, you are in charge of paying your tithe and paying it honestly.

I've had too many non-Mormons come up to me and tell me: "Those are the Mormons. They are forced to pay %10 of their earnings to be members, or they get kicked out."

I should have explained further than just one sentence on this matter.

-Max

"The law of consecration is a divine principle whereby men and women voluntarily dedicate their time, talents, and material wealth to the establishment and building up of God’s kingdom." (Guide to the Scriptures: Consecrate, Law of Consecration).

Latter-day Saints make a covenant with God, in our temples, to live the law of consecration. According to our scriptures, we are the stewards of our own time, talents, and material wealth, with which God has blessed us, and will therefore be accountable to the Lord for the discharge of this covenant. (D&C 104:12-13)

At times, God has established an order, based on the law of consecration, which is an "organization through which the Saints in the early days of the restored Church sought to live the law of consecration. Individuals shared property, goods, and profits, receiving these things according to their wants and needs" (Guide to the Scriptures: United Order).

This United Order is the application of the law of consecration and stewardship of property, and it has been withdrawn by the Lord, for now, because the Saints were not prepared to live it, and instead the Lord gave the Church the law of tithing. (see D&C 119 section heading)

Under the law of tithing, members of the Church donate a tenth of their annual increase to the Lord through the Church. "Tithing funds are used to build churches and temples, to sustain missionary work, and to build the kingdom of God on earth." (Guide to the Scriptures: Tithes, Tithing).

Regards,

Vanhin

Well, just about anything is voluntary in the church.

By calling the tithe voluntary, I mean the bishopric don't knock down your door to get it.

Even though it is a commandment, you are in charge of paying your tithe and paying it honestly.

I've had too many non-Mormons come up to me and tell me: "Those are the Mormons. They are forced to pay %10 of their earnings to be members, or they get kicked out."

I should have explained further than just one sentence on this matter.

-Max

"Voluntary" is perfectly fine without any extra explanations. Tithing donations are voluntary. The consequences to our voluntary choices are involuntary, however, and are fixed.

I thank God that I am an agent unto myself, and that He has made men free, because there is no other way for us to reach our potential. We must choose it.

Therefore, O my son, whosoever will come may come and partake of the waters of life freely; and whosoever will not come the same is not compelled to come; but in the last day it shall be restored unto him according to his deeds. (Alma 42:27)

Regards,

Vanhin

Edited by Vanhin
I meant "Alma" not D&C

Guest mormonmusic

I had an Institute lesson where we read that we also live the law of consecration in our families where everything we have goes to support others in our family. For example, I work, earn money and then use that to support my wife and children.

"Voluntary" is perfectly fine without any extra explanations. Tithing donations are voluntary. The consequences to our voluntary choices are involuntary, however, and are fixed.

I thank God that I am an agent unto myself, and that He has made men free, because there is no other way for us to reach our potential. We must choose it.

Therefore, O my son, whosoever will come may come and partake of the waters of life freely; and whosoever will not come the same is not compelled to come; but in the last day it shall be restored unto him according to his deeds. (Alma 42:27)

Regards,

Vanhin

The perfect time to mention agency.

Yes we have commandments, and we have the agency to follow them.

Agency gives us two options:

Choose the right, or die....

*Die spiritually

Because the Lord has commanded us to in a revelation given on July 8, 1838

D&C 119: 3-4

3 And this shall be the beginning of the tithing of my people.

4 And after that, those who have thus been tithed shall pay one-tenth of all their interest annually; and this shall be a standing law unto them forever, for my holy priesthood, saith the Lord.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for being a little dense about Mormonism but what exactly is the law of consecration? Is like having all things in common?

Sorry Mohammad, it seems we missed your question (Or I missed it being answered which is just a testament to my being blind). :)

We believe and promise to basically consecrate everything we have (material possessions, time, ability, etc.) to the building up of Gods kingdom. This means that everything we do, should in some fashion act to build up that kingdom. This doesn't negate our own physical and mental needs, so there is room for the building up of ourselves, though I personally view that as being part of building up His kingdom when done with the appropriate attitude.

I hope this answered your question.