Authority

Guest john146truth

Guest john146truth

I once had a card which traced my priesthood authority back to

Joseph Smith and - allegedly - to Jesus Christ. I remember in 1982, when

I became active again in the church, observing a discussion where

two men compared their cards, and found that one had a line of authority that

went through Brigham Young while the other's did not.

And the LDS church contends that Christian churches, because they don't

have that line of authority, in fact have no authority (this is part, of

course, of the larger doctrine of the total apostasy, but that's not a

major factor here). Mormonism makes a big deal out of the "fact" that it

has authority, and other churches don't. (It ignores the fact that its

theory of authority is little different in principle from the Catholic

idea of apostolic succession. This isn't surprising, since the Mormon

church even today has a distinct anti-Catholic bias on top of its generic

distaste for Christianity.)

The fact is, however, that genuine Christians possess ALL the authority

they need - without the intervention of any organization or chain of

ordinations. Jesus said, "All authority has been given to Me in heaven

and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations,

baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit,

teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you

always, even to the end of the age." (Matt. 28:18-20) That is a pretty clear command.

Now Christ, by His explicit statement, has all authority in heaven and

earth. He has, therefore, the authority - the right - to tell His people

to do whatever He pleases to tell them to do. And here in the Great

Commission He specifically commands them to 1) make disciples, 2) baptize

those disciples, and 3) teach these baptized disciples all that Christ

commanded. Now, what authority do we need to carry out that commission?

Christ's command is all the authority we need. What He commands, by

definition He authorizes. Whom He commands, by definition has the right

- and the obligation! - to carry out the command. If, while I was in the

Air Force, the Commander-in-Chief has ordered me to carry his suitcase to

the car, I wouldn't have needed a card to verify that so and so had

authority from such and such. The president's order was all the

authority I needed to pick up that suitcase and carry it to the car.

When Christ commands a thing, the command is itself the authority. Has

He commanded me to make disciples, to baptize disciples, and to teach

disciples? Then I have all the authority I need to do precisely that.

And anyone who would say otherwise must, before I'll believe him,

demonstrate that he has greater authority than the Lord Christ - a

demonstration which is inherently impossible.

So where does my authority come from? I got it direct from Christ,

and have the "card" right there in the text of the Bible.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Member_Deleted

Originally posted by john146truth@Nov 5 2005, 09:58 PM

I once had a card which traced my priesthood authority back to

Joseph Smith and - allegedly - to Jesus Christ.  I remember in 1982, when

I became active again in the church, observing a discussion where

two men compared their cards, and found that one had a line of authority that

went through Brigham Young while the other's did not.

And the LDS church contends that Christian churches, because they don't

have that line of authority, in fact have no authority (this is part, of

course, of the larger doctrine of the total apostasy, but that's not a

major factor here).  Mormonism makes a big deal out of the "fact" that it

has authority, and other churches don't.  (It ignores the fact that its

theory of authority is little different in principle from the Catholic

idea of apostolic succession.  This isn't surprising, since the Mormon

church even today has a distinct anti-Catholic bias on top of its generic

distaste for Christianity.)

ordinations.  Jesus said, "All authority has been given to Me in heaven

and on earth.  Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations,

baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit,

teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you

always, even to the end of the age." (Matt. 28:18-20)  That is a pretty clear command.

Now Christ, by His explicit statement, has all authority in heaven and

earth.  He has, therefore, the authority - the right - to tell His people

to do whatever He pleases to tell them to do.  And here in the Great

Commission He specifically commands them to 1) make disciples, 2) baptize

those disciples, and 3) teach these baptized disciples all that Christ

commanded.  Now, what authority do we need to carry out that commission?

Christ's command is all the authority we need.  What He commands, by

definition He authorizes.  Whom He commands, by definition has the right

- and the obligation! - to carry out the command.  If, while I was in the

Air Force, the Commander-in-Chief has ordered me to carry his suitcase to

the car, I wouldn't have needed a card to verify that so and so had

authority from such and such.  The president's order was all the

authority I needed to pick up that suitcase and carry it to the car.

When Christ commands a thing, the command is itself the authority.  Has

He commanded me to make disciples, to baptize disciples, and to teach

disciples?  Then I have all the authority I need to do precisely that.

And anyone who would say otherwise must, before I'll believe him,

demonstrate that he has greater authority than the Lord Christ - a

demonstration which is inherently impossible.

So where does my authority come from?  I  got it direct from Christ,

and have the "card" right there in the text of the Bible.

I'll make it simple for you.... once your linage hits a prophet... it goes from that prophet right to Christ... doesn't matter which latter-day propeht... so all you have said here has absolutely no foundation and you are way up in the night... looking for crap... and actually finding nothing but your own perverse thoughts and reasonings...

You really are desperately impressed by the darkness ....

Originally posted by john146truth@Nov 5 2005, 07:58 PM

ordinations.

Golly, wouldn't that be a niffty little trick if all one had to do is declare something a fact, and poof, presto-chango, it in fact becomes a fact.

If only it were all that simple...

The OP is probably more correct that you are giving him credit for. While there certainly were some of the early Apostolic churches who believed in a handed down authority, certainly not all of the Apostolic churches taught or believe like this.

If you're open-minded enough to care, check out this link.

open minded? i dont think checking out anti mormon stuff is being open minded, or if your open minded *which i know you are so thats a good thing * check out this link www.lds.org and go to media library and click on the preisthood and the signs of the times .. tell me if you belive in any of it.. The authority has to come from Christ

John146truth picked just about the worst scripture he possibly could have to support his idea about authority to act in God’s name.

John maintains that ALL Christians possess all the authority necessary simply by virtue of being Christian. A Christian is one who accepts Christ as their Savior. So, anyone who accepts Christ can baptize, found a church, heal the sick, teach, binding whatsoever on earth and having it bound in heaven... in short, act in God’s name, be you Augustine, or Jimmy Swaggart or the local butcher, whatever - you have the authority to act in God’s name and bind in heaven.

Right John? As proof you offered Matt. 28:18-20 “"All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age."

So, does your scripture support your contention?

1. According to the scripture, authority was given to Christ. He did not take it himself as you suggest the believers do.

2. Who was Christ talking to? Specifically the remaining 11 apostles/disciples. How did the 11 get the authority to do the things that Christ instructs them to do? Christ choose them, called them, ordained them and appointed them. (Matt 10:1, Mark 3:14, Luke 6:13, John 15:16, Luke 10:1, etc, etc, etc)

Essentially, your scripture says just the opposite of what you represent it to say.

And by the way you are mistaken when you say: “(It ignores the fact that its theory of authority is little different in principle from the Catholic idea of apostolic succession. This isn't surprising, since the Mormon church even today has a distinct anti-Catholic bias on top of its generic distaste for Christianity.)”

Mormons have a pretty clear idea that the theory behind apostolic succession and LDS transmission of authority is very similar. The point is made fairly frequently that of all churches, only the Catholic and LDS have potentially legitimate claims to authority.

And finally, you are also mistaken when you say that Mormons have an anti-Catholic bias. Non-Catholic Americans have had a long-standing historical bias against Catholics that persists to this day but there is nothing distinct about LDS sentiments.

Of course, you might have a point - care to prove it? You spoke in the present tense. The Church HAS. Please feel free to present any present day statement or behaviors from the Church that support your contention. Note: I already know that you won't so my invitation is a less than genuine request, mostly it's just a way to embarrass you.

Guest Member_Deleted

Originally posted by dizzysmiles@Nov 6 2005, 11:14 AM

open minded? i dont think checking out anti mormon stuff is being open minded, or  if your open minded *which i know you are so thats a good thing * check out this link www.lds.org and go to media library and click on the preisthood and the signs of the times .. tell me if you belive in any of it.. The authority has to come from Christ

LOL... AMEN... but Jason... when it comes to LDS faith is extremely closed minded... :D

Originally posted by Snow@Nov 6 2005, 10:06 AM

Of course, you might have a point - care to prove it? You spoke in the present tense. The Church HAS. Please feel free to present any present day statement or behaviors from the Church that support your contention. Note: I already know that you won't so my invitation is a less than genuine request, mostly it's just a way to embarrass you.

Golly - now how did I know that John146truth was just a troll who twisted scripture to try and make a point when there was none and when caught would run like he just stole something?

Guest Member_Deleted

Originally posted by Snow+Nov 9 2005, 10:51 PM-->

<!--QuoteBegin-Snow@Nov 6 2005, 10:06 AM

Golly - now how did I know that John146truth was just a troll who twisted scripture to try and make a point when there was none and when caught would run like he just stole something?

These are the times I really appreciate your style... :)

Originally posted by dizzysmiles@Nov 6 2005, 10:14 AM

open minded? i dont think checking out anti mormon stuff is being open minded, or  if your open minded *which i know you are so thats a good thing * check out this link www.lds.org and go to media library and click on the preisthood and the signs of the times .. tell me if you belive in any of it.. The authority has to come from Christ

dizzy - Explain to me please how a book titled Early Christian Worship: A Basic Introduction to Ideas and Practice (by Paul F. Bradshaw) is anti mormon stuff.

M.

Guest Member_Deleted

Originally posted by Maureen+Nov 10 2005, 11:13 AM-->

<!--QuoteBegin-dizzysmiles@Nov 6 2005, 10:14 AM

dizzy - Explain to me please how a book titled Early Christian Worship: A Basic Introduction to Ideas and Practice (by Paul F. Bradshaw) is anti mormon stuff.

M.

I would think it depended upon the guys bias... not the title of his book... don't you?

First of all John146:

That the cards of priesthood holders arent the same, that sould plain logic tell it to you. Such line of priesthood declares from who each person got it until you. They dont have to be the same, for it would not even make sense. The priesthood doesnot always have the same people, but always end with Jo Sm or Oliver Cowd.

And as tou your reasoning of Christ's command to the apostles;

When did He tell them to do that? At the END of His ministry, so you see, FIRST in Matt.10, you'll see that Jesus GAVE THEM AUTHORITY. They didnt get it by saying : Im with Christ, for Christ also in the gospel of John told them: I have placed you...and later "I chose you, you didnt choose me"...

So thats for you to mediate, what Hebrews 5;4 says about levitical priesthood and Christ, for if Christ Himself had to be APPOINTED by God with such authority, why not mere men?

Regards, lol

Originally posted by Please+Nov 10 2005, 10:19 AM-->

Originally posted by Maureen@Nov 10 2005, 11:13 AM

I would think it depended upon the guys bias... not the title of his book... don't you?

But without reading the book itself, how would a person know that the contents of the book is anti mormon stuff? That's what I would like dizzy to explain to me. She never said she read the book.

M.

Guest Member_Deleted

Originally posted by Maureen+Nov 10 2005, 12:23 PM-->

Originally posted by Please@Nov 10 2005, 10:19 AM

Originally posted by Maureen@Nov 10 2005, 11:13 AM

But without reading the book itself, how would a person know that the contents of the book is anti mormon stuff? That's what I would like dizzy to explain to me. She never said she read the book.

M.

From reviews done by others... and from where it is found. If it is found on an anit- site... then you know... don't you?

If it is being recommended by someone who has left the church... that would be another clue... wouldn't it?

Originally posted by Please@Nov 10 2005, 11:35 AM

From reviews done by others... and from where it is found. If it is found on an anit- site... then you know... don't you?

If you did like I did and just clicked on the link that Jason provided you would have seen it is amazon.com (sells books on-line) and the title of the book. If you go further, you could read a review. So now my question to you Please is, do you really consider amazon.com an anti mormon site and the one and only review of this book is also giving you the impression that the book is anti-mormon? If so, please explain.

If it is being recommended by someone who has left the church... that would be another clue... wouldn't it?

Not at all. If Jason recommended the Harry Potter series as great reading would you also say that those books are also anti-mormon?

M.

Guest Member_Deleted

Originally posted by Maureen+Nov 10 2005, 01:38 PM-->

<!--QuoteBegin-Please@Nov 10 2005, 11:35 AM

If you did like I did and just clicked on the link that Jason provided you would have seen it is amazon.com (sells books on-line) and the title of the book. If you go further, you could read a review. So now my question to you Please is, do you really consider amazon.com an anti mormon site and the one and only review of this book is also giving you the impression that the book is anti-mormon? If so, please explain.

Not at all. If Jason recommended the Harry Potter series as great reading would you also say that those books are also anti-mormon?

M.

That is a whole other thing... :glare:

Originally posted by Please+Nov 10 2005, 12:41 PM-->

Originally posted by Maureen@Nov 10 2005, 01:38 PM

M.

What is a whole other thing? :huh:

M.

John146truth picked just about the worst scripture he possibly could have to support his idea about authority to act in God’s name.

John maintains that ALL Christians possess all the authority necessary simply by virtue of being Christian. A Christian is one who accepts Christ as their Savior. So, anyone who accepts Christ can baptize, found a church, heal the sick, teach, binding whatsoever on earth and having it bound in heaven... in short, act in God’s name, be you Augustine, or Jimmy Swaggart or the local butcher, whatever - you have the authority to act in God’s name and bind in heaven.

:idea: Actually, you are right on this point. Anybody can claim a calling and start ministry. As a pastor, I see my role as training the believers to witness, to teach, and to disciple. While we usually leave the baptizing to clergy, it would not be out of the question for the one being baptized to ask his mentor to perform the sacrament. Additionally, we have seen mid-career, mature believers receive a call to preach. This is especially common in South and Central America. They often begin by repreaching sermons they have heard broadcast or delivered. As they form churches, more mature pastors will mentor them, they will take correspondence Bible college courses, and quite often they do marvelous works. Those denominations bound by the rigid formula of study first, then ordain, then minister under supervision, have seen much slower growth.

A key check on this seeming chaos is, does the self-proclaimed minister submit himself to spiritual leadership? Does s/he seek out mentors. Is there any organizational 'covering?' Jimmy Swaggart is an example. He achieved ordination through my denomination, the Assemblies of God. When he had a moral failure he sought to circumvent the system by negotiating a rehabilitation plan with his local authority, rather than through the national office. Checks were in place, and ultimately, Swaggart surrendered his ordination, and went independent. Some still followed him, but there was a clear warning--he would not submit to spiritual authority.

Right John? As proof you offered Matthew. 28:18-20 “"All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age."

So, does your scripture support your contention?

1. According to the scripture, authority was given to Christ. He did not take it himself as you suggest the believers do.

:idea: Jesus was given the authority by the Father. He gave the authority to his disciples in Matthew 28. However, in Luke 10 Jesus gives the authority to the 72. In Acts 1:8 Jesus promises power from the Holy Spirit to witness to a group of believers gathered for prayer. Those Christians who believe in "the priesthood of all believers" see that Jesus was commissioning his church, his followers, to gospel work. The Apostles held special legitimacy because they saw all that Jesus did, and were mentored by him. However, we do not place emphasis on their uniqueness, but rather seem them as examples to follow.

2. Who was Christ talking to? Specifically the remaining 11 apostles/disciples. How did the 11 get the authority to do the things that Christ instructs them to do? Christ choose them, called them, ordained them and appointed them. (Matt 10:1, Mark 3:14, Luke 6:13, John 15:16, Luke 10:1, etc, etc, etc)

Essentially, your scripture says just the opposite of what you represent it to say.

:idea: See above answers. If you look to Matthew 28 and ask: Who gave Jesus his authority? Who was he talking to? Why were they special? These questions would lead to a hierarchical view of gospel dissemination.

However, if you ask: What was Jesus telling the disciples to do? What was his purpose? How did he help them to do it (giving authority and power)? What was his ultimate goal (wide spreading of the Good News)? Different questions might lead to different conclusions based upon presuppositions.

Bottom-line: All Christian churches, including the LDS, have both spiritual hierarchy and a level of spiritual work that all adherents are expected to take part in. Evangelicals and fundamentalists tend to emphasize the general work more. Rather than asking, "By what authority?" Our question is, "By who's power?" I'm not expert enough to comment on the importance of authority for LDS, but there do seem to be some parallels, based on this string of posts, with the Roman Catholic emphasis on apostolic succession.

Originally posted by Maureen+Nov 10 2005, 01:47 PM-->

Originally posted by Please@Nov 10 2005, 12:41 PM

M.

M.

I believe both Please and Dizzy would say: "It it's not from Deseret Book, it's not true!"

And I think it's obvious that Dizzy never bothered to check the link.

We believe that a man must be called of God, by prophecy, and by the laying on of hands by those who are in authority, to preach the Gospel and administer in the ordinances thereof. - Articles of Faith, #5

Or in other words, we don’t believe any man has any authority to preach the gospel and administer the ordinances thereof unless he has received authority from those who are in authority, and God has revealed to them by prophecy that they should lay their hands upon another man to give him authority.

For instance, if a man came up to me and claimed he had authority to preach the gospel and administer the ordinances thereof, I would ask him what makes him any different from any other man who claims to have authority to preach the gospel and administer the ordinances thereof…

and if he then told me that he received his authority from a group of men in a church, I would then ask him how that group of men in a church got their authority from God …

and if he then told me that they received authority from God by reading a book which said that God gave authority to Jesus Christ, and Jesus Christ gave authority to some other men, telling them to go and preach the gospel to everybody else, teaching them what they knew, and that all they knew was written in the Bible, and that by reading the Bible they now know what they knew, I would then ask him where in the Bible it says that the apostles were to give their authority to everybody else they taught the gospel to, and how they were to give their authority to others…

and if he then told me that he received authority from some leaders in their church who laid their hands upon his head, because that is how it was done in the Bible, I would then ask him how those leaders received their authority from Jesus Christ, or from the apostles whom Jesus had laid His hands upon…

and if he then told me that those leaders traced their authority directly to Peter, James & John through the laying on of hands, and prophecy of God, I would then say, okay, that sounds about right, so what else do you have to teach?

Originally posted by Maureen+Nov 10 2005, 09:13 AM-->

M.

She probably clicked on Jason's personal blog by mistake.

Guest Member_Deleted

Originally posted by Maureen+Nov 10 2005, 01:47 PM-->

M.

M.

I was afraid you wouldn't get it..

Here is the thing... we were speaking specifially about religion.... books about religion and churches...

Harry Potter has no application to the subject at hand... you should be able to see that...

Guest Member_Deleted

Originally posted by Jason+Nov 10 2005, 05:01 PM-->

Originally posted by Maureen@Nov 10 2005, 01:47 PM

M.

M.

I believe both Please and Dizzy would say: "It it's not from Deseret Book, it's not true!"

And I think it's obvious that Dizzy never bothered to check the link.

I have read a lot of books from everywhere... but I have to admit after 50 years... I am becoming a lot more discerning in my tastes... because I find I haven't got time to keep getting lost and trying to find my way out...

You, on the other hand, probably will have quite a few more years of it...

Originally posted by Please@Nov 10 2005, 08:42 PM

I have read a lot of books from everywhere... but I have to admit after 50 years... I am becoming a lot more discerning in my tastes... because I find I haven't got time to keep getting lost and trying to find my way out...

Hey Please, when you get your "book" finished, do you think I can an edited version? I realize that it would reduce to book to about 1/3 of it's original length, but all those elipses and "LOL's" are getting hard on my eyes.

:wacko:

Guest Member_Deleted

Originally posted by Jason+Nov 10 2005, 09:38 PM-->

<!--QuoteBegin-Please@Nov 10 2005, 08:42 PM

Hey Please, when you get your "book" finished, do you think I can an edited version? I realize that it would reduce to book to about 1/3 of it's original length, but all those elipses and "LOL's" are getting hard on my eyes.

:wacko:

So far there aren't any lols in my book... but maybe it would really make it work... LOL... course most the old ladies reading it won't know what it means... LOL

btw I think the first book will be around 200 pages... maybe more...

the 2nd will be more like 300 pages...