White Christmas

Churchmouse

A week out, how many are expecting a white Christmas? Anyone in the eastern third of the United States has a pretty good chance. We live at the western edge of the latest snow storm and we've got 4-5 inches right now. We're expecting it to continue through Monday with temperatures to keep it from melting.

We need a good amount on our roof to hold the sleigh. We put on a new metal roof this summer. Wouldn't want to old fella to slip.

How's the outlook where you live??

I live in the desert. It is 71 and sunny.

Christmas is 5.5 days from now.

Unless your desert is on Jupiter, Christmas is 6.5 days from now. :P

Elphaba

Edited to add: I am old and therefore cannot add. Well, actually I can add, but I was counting the 25th when I shouldn't have. Thanks to Pam for setting me straight and sorry to Max for suggesting you live on Jupiter :).

Elph

Edited by Elphaba

Unless your desert is on Jupiter, Christmas is 6.5 days from now. :P

Elphaba

Well technically it is 5.5 days from now. As it's only 9 more hours to make it 5 days..that puts it closer to 5.5 days than 6.5 days.

We're expecting snow Tuesday and Wednesday but will be clear for Christmas Eve and day. That's good since I'll first be going to my sisters house and then to my brothers. I am a wimp when it comes to driving in snow.

It was heading up here to Nova Scotia, we figure about the time church starts it would hit us. Just heard it is going further East then expected. We are on the other side of the Atlantic Coast, we might get an inch over this side.

In Fairbanks you probably had plenty of white "first days of Spring":):)

In Cleveland we get white Easters all the time.

My family's been watching movies and drinking hot cocoa. A friend of mine posted some pics on Facebook and it looks like it's getting pretty heavy over there.

I just saw a friend's blog in Reston, VA -- he shoveled 8-10 inches at 9:30 this morning, and then scraped almost that much more off the cars again at 5:30 this afternoon. Said it's been nonstop since 9:00 last night.

Well technically it is 5.5 days from now. As it's only 9 more hours to make it 5 days..that puts it closer to 5.5 days than 6.5 days.

Thanks for setting me straight. I was counting Christmas day, but after reading your post, I realized I shouldn't.

I keep telling everyone I got stupid. This is proof. :P

Elph

I live in Pinal County AZ, it has been rather cool here. The locals are wearing down stuffed jackets, knit hats, knit scarves. It is all of 67 degrees!! :estaloco:

I have a very light weight windbreaker that is lined in really thin flannel, and most of the time that is TOO warm for me.

The locals also go berserk with the decorations here! They put up as much Halloween stuff as they do Christmas! Those house high inflatables, lights all over the windows, roof, brick fences, plastic Santa's, snowmen, etc. Christmas themed silhouettes bedecked in lights.

Think I may take a ride with hubby tomorrow just at dusk, and have him take pics of the houses, then I will post them. To me, it is ridiculous!!

When I was a kid, we decorated the tree, put lights on it, tinsel, and ornaments. Then we did glass wax & stencils on all of the windows. ALL of them, even in the bedrooms.

On Jan 1, everything came down. The glass wax is the BEST thing to clean windows with, and we had the cleanest windows to start the new year with.

Also, after New Years breakfast, Daddy took all of us kids outside and he had the older kids teach the next child who turned 10 (there were 7 of us kids) how to check all the fluids in the car, tire pressure included. On each child's 15th new year, he taught us how to change the oil. I never learned that- he had slipped a disc in his back by then and couldn't teach or supervise.

Those house high inflatables, lights all over the windows, roof, brick fences, plastic Santa's, snowmen, etc. Christmas themed silhouettes bedecked in lights.

A friend on Facebook posted a week or so ago: "Inflatable lawn ornaments are like tattoos: people can't stop at just one."

When I was a kid, we decorated the tree, put lights on it, tinsel, and ornaments. Then we did glass wax & stencils on all of the windows.

I don't have many fond memories of my childhood, nor am I plagued by flashbacks of things forgotten. But your post gave me both.

I had completely forgotten about the wax stencils at Christmas, and when I saw your words I experienced a "sensation" of a memory, and it was of pure happiness. For all I know we only did this once, because I don't have a clear or complete memory of it. But I remember loving the "smell" of the wax paper, because it meant "Christmas" to me, a time that was not only magical, but usually free of abuse. That is HUGE!

So, thanks Iggy, for the memory!

Elph

A week out, how many are expecting a white Christmas? Anyone in the eastern third of the United States has a pretty good chance. We live at the western edge of the latest snow storm and we've got 4-5 inches right now. We're expecting it to continue through Monday with temperatures to keep it from melting.

We need a good amount on our roof to hold the sleigh. We put on a new metal roof this summer. Wouldn't want to old fella to slip.

How's the outlook where you live??

No white Christmas for me, guess that's what you get for living in Australia!

No white Christmas for me, guess that's what you get for living in Australia!

Someone I know in Australia told me once that they still give out christmas cards to each other than have snow portrayed on the front on them. Apparently that's normal even though you'll never expect to have that weather there at christmas?

Someone I know in Australia told me once that they still give out christmas cards to each other than have snow portrayed on the front on them. Apparently that's normal even though you'll never expect to have that weather there at christmas?

Bah who wants reality? Actually I bet right about now quite a few of them wouldn't mind if it snowed. :)

Particularly this little guy:

Posted Image