Recipes?

Michael68

My basics currently include pinto and black beans, red and white wheat, rice, potato flakes, powdered milk, quick oats, dehydrated onions and misc other stuff like flour, sugar, seasonings, canned: beef, tomatoes,green beans, and some hot peppers. Looking at that list, my simplisticness see's only a few options. Chili, refried beans, bread, mashed taters, and oatmeal from the "dry" goods. Variety is definately an issue.......

For Pam: :D

Recipe for tree bark soup:

2 quarts fresh spring water

1 large chunk of any bark

Boil for 1/2 hour

Season with old leather boot for flavor if needed

There are probably better options out there!

Should be able to do the American form of Shepherd's Pie using the potatoes, green beans, beef and if desired tomatoes. Soup also looks like a good bed, beans, rice, green beans and beef (you can also use the potato flakes to thicken the soup). I'm in agreement with beans (learn how to make your own refried, just don't rely on the dehydrated refried beans) and rice, good combo plus a complete protein without having to use your beef.

Also, make sure you know how to make bread, handy stuff. Also if you make a bread dough (or biscuit dough if you have some solid fat) you can make meat roll ups. Think cinnamon roles but meat instead of sugar and cinnamon on the inside, bonus points if you have cheese. I like to spoon tomato sauce (you can make that from your canned 'maters) over the top properly seasoned (which for me means with some spice). Also, learning how to make tortillas are a good idea, gives you lots of options besides traditional leavened bread. Noodles as well.

I’m working on the same project of recipes from food storage. Try the book “I Can’t Believe It’s Food Storage” by Crystal Godfrey, or “Country Beans” by Rita Bingham.

Also there is a website Hillbilly Housewife

I’m also trying to convert by family recipes to include food storage. The problem I have is when the recipe says “one 15oz can of pinto beans”, how much by weight or by volume is the equal amount of dried pinto beans. (trial and error, I guess)

I would publish some of my recipes, by a friend says I have “the culinary sophistication of a coyote”. (Remember I like Spam) :rolleyes:

I’m also trying to convert by family recipes to include food storage. The problem I have is when the recipe says “one 15oz can of pinto beans”, how much by weight or by volume is the equal amount of dried pinto beans. (trial and error, I guess)

:

** Dry beans expand to about 2-1/2 times their original size when soaked.

** A one-pound package of dry beans equals about 2 cups dry, or 5-6 cups cooked.

** One 15 ounce can (drained) equals about 1-2/3 cups cooked beans.

So if you figure 1 cup of dry turns to 2 1/2 to 3 cups of cooked, then I'd say cook up ~2/3 cup per can or there abouts (~1 2/3 to ~2 cups cooked). It should be a good starting place at least. Dried beans have such a superior texture to canned, its worth it IMHO.

• 1 month later...

one of the easiest recipes ever i've been told of is this

Corn + Flour

you mash in the corn in with the flour, you want enough corn for the flour to make it pretty sticky. All you need to do is really work the corn into the flour (good hand exercise) you can add flour if you think theres too much corn or more corn if theres not enough flour (the dough will be slightly yellow colored). then grab some and and flatten it onto a cooking pan or skillet and cook them until light-medium brown. eat plain, or have with syrup or about anything else really.

The person who told me this called them navajo corn bread. I use about a handful of corn (maybe a little more) with around a cup of flour.

Edited by Blackmarch