Question About Joining A Local LDS Church?

Melissa569

Ok, I haven't been to the LDS church since I was 12 (I'm 28 now). I am baptized though, that happened when I was 8.

Tomorrow, I am planning on going in and attending church for the first time in well over a decade. I plan on joining this local ward, but I wanted to know...

What all do I have to do? What will happen? I probably won't get a reply so soon tonight, but just hoping :)

I just want to know, should I ask to see the bishop? Should I do it as soon as I get there? Or after the temple gathering? How will I know where to go? (I know after the temple gathering, everyone splits up; the children go to primary, teens go to young mens/womens... Don't know where adults go though, particularly married ones, lol. That's new territory for me).

The last time I was there, I was a kid, and everything was different... Help?

Ok, I haven't been to the LDS church since I was 12 (I'm 28 now). I am baptized though, that happened when I was 8.

Tomorrow, I am planning on going in and attending church for the first time in well over a decade. I plan on joining this local ward, but I wanted to know...

What all do I have to do? What will happen? I probably won't get a reply so soon tonight, but just hoping :)

I just want to know, should I ask to see the bishop? Should I do it as soon as I get there? Or after the temple gathering? How will I know where to go? (I know after the temple gathering, everyone splits up; the children go to primary, teens go to young mens/womens... Don't know where adults go though, particularly married ones, lol. That's new territory for me).

I would go to the ward, and not partake of the Sacrament just yet. After sacrament meeting (which I believe you are referring to and not Temple Gathering), attend the Gospel Essentials class (or the Gospel Doctrine). Then relief society.

Find out who the ward clerk is, schedule a meeting with the Bishop.

Do not wait for anyone to introduce themselves to you, find out who is the relief society president and introduce yourself to her (probably after relief society).

Request visiting teachers and home teachers, maybe ask to have the missionaries come over and visit with you.

Keep in mind, it is a Fast and Testimony meeting.

Find out who the ward clerk is, schedule a meeting with the Bishop.

The executive secretary schedules the Bishop's appointments. The ward clerk does not. In this young lady's case, it might be simpler (and therefore more likely to be accomplished) if she approaches the Bishop or one of his counselors after Sacrament meeting (since they will be easily identifiable, having been on the stand the whole time) and asks them who she should talk to for scheduling an appointment.

It's been mentioned but not directly. I'm fairly sure the meeting you are referring to is Sacrament (not temple gathering). And yes, as mentioned it'll be Fast and Testimony meeting, so instead of talks people will be getting up out of the congregation (as they feel moved to, you aren't called on) and bearing testimonies.

I'm highly in favor of introducing yourself to the Bishop (Push comes to shove walk up to the stand after the meeting and if you haven't figured out who the Bishop is just ask somebody, they'll be able to point you in the right direction), just let him know you haven't been to church since you were a kid and could use some help with the grown up schedule. Also, if you have a testimony (even if of Jesus Christ and not particular LDS doctrines at this point), bearing your testimony is a good way to introduce yourself, but I can understand perfectly if you don't feel comfortable with that (on multiple levels even).

The executive secretary schedules the Bishop's appointments. The ward clerk does not. In this young lady's case, it might be simpler (and therefore more likely to be accomplished) if she approaches the Bishop or one of his counselors after Sacrament meeting (since they will be easily identifiable, having been on the stand the whole time) and asks them who she should talk to for scheduling an appointment.

That is what I meant lol...sorry was up way too late.

It's okay Seattle. It's not wrong to refer to Ward Clerk who in turn can refer to the Executive Secretary. At least you have the person going in the right direction. Especially since they probably sit in the same office.

Here are some links that will help with attending a church service:

What to Expect

How to Attend a Mormon Service if You're Not Mormon | eHow.com

Because you are a baptized member, your records will be transferred to your ward. Each member is assigned a ward according to geography, so the ward you visit may not be the one you are assigned to, but the bishop can figure that out for you.

Don't worry, when you attend service, you will be greeted by at least a half dozen random people who will all be willing to help you connect with the right classes, and the right people. It's a very friendly and welcoming atmosphere.

Here are some links that will help with attending a church service:

What to Expect

How to Attend a Mormon Service if You're Not Mormon | eHow.com

Because you are a baptized member, your records will be transferred to your ward. Each member is assigned a ward according to geography, so the ward you visit may not be the one you are assigned to, but the bishop can figure that out for you.

Don't worry, when you attend service, you will be greeted by at least a half dozen random people who will all be willing to help you connect with the right classes, and the right people. It's a very friendly and welcoming atmosphere.

Keeping my fingers crossed on that one... :P

Welcome, Melissa569. It's good to have you back.

Melissa569,

The folks here gave you all some technically correct answers. Let me give you the answer that I hope you'll get when you show up at church.

WELCOME BACK! WE ARE SO HAPPY YOU'VE COME BACK TO CHURCH!

What a blessing it will be to them and to you! The Lord's love will fill your life. There will be celebrations in heaven as well!

Thanks everyone. :)

My uncle John is well known in the priesthood over in the next town. I called him and told him I wanted to join a local ward. So he called around and found out which church I'm supposed to go to based on where I live. I went there today (second ward at 1:00pm), and spoke to the bishop. It was such a nice church, and it was great to be back!

But the bishop said that because of the particular section of town I live in, I'm supposed to attend the first ward, at 9:00am. He did however invite me to stay and listen to everyone's testemonies and meet a few people. Everyone was really nice there!

So I guess next sunday, I will go at 9:00am, and meet "my" bishop and ward. I can't wait to feel like I belong again, I already feel like I made a positive move.

One of the members there got up and did a testemony, which really hit home for me-- he said he was born into the church, but for the past 20 years, he never went. Then he returned a few months ago, and its made his life a lot better. He said that during the years he did not attend, he figured (like I did) that church was just an over-glorified counselling session, or a support system-- one that he did not need. But his attitude changed after he ran into some difficult times.

Its was practically my own story! lol. After sacrament, I stopped that man in the hallway and told him how I felt. He is the one who introduced me to the bishop and all. So I really felt like I did the right thing by going in there today.

Edited by Melissa569

My uncle John is well known in the priesthood over in the next town. I called him and told him I wanted to join a local ward. So he called around and found out which church I'm supposed to go to based on where I live. I went there today (second ward at 1:00pm), and spoke to the bishop. It was such a nice church, and it was great to be back!

But the bishop said that because of the particular section of town I live in, I'm supposed to attend the first ward, at 9:00am. He did however invite me to stay and listen to everyone's testemonies and meet a few people. Everyone was really nice there!

So I guess next sunday, I will go at 9:00am, and meet "my" bishop and ward. I can't wait to feel like I belong again, I already feel like I made a positive move.

One of the members there got up and did a testemony, which really hit home for me-- he said he was born into the church, but for the past 20 years, he never went. Then he returned a few months ago, and its made his life a lot better. He said that during the years he did not attend, he figured (like I did) that church was just an over-glorified counselling session, or a support system-- one that he did not need. But his attitude changed after he ran into some difficult times.

Its was practically my own story! lol. After sacrament, I stopped that man in the hallway and told him how I felt. He is the one who introduced me to the boship and all. So I really felt like I did the right thing by going in there today.

You were definitely blessed and the Lord knew right where you needed to be.

By the way, welcome back. My wife and I have been back at church - me, it has been almost 20 years, my wife about a couple years. It is a good thing to be back into the fellowship of the ward. We have good hometeachers, and ward family.

Melissa, I'm so glad to hear you had a positive experience today. The time schedule/geography can take a few tries to sort out, especially at the beginning of a year when the meetings times often rotate, but you'll get it down. My ward had a really great Sunday today too, both testimony-wise and less active-wise. My parents' ward had a great day, too. I think it must be a new year thing.

Melissa569,

The folks here gave you all some technically correct answers. Let me give you the answer that I hope you'll get when you show up at church.

WELCOME BACK! WE ARE SO HAPPY YOU'VE COME BACK TO CHURCH!

What a blessing it will be to them and to you! The Lord's love will fill your life. There will be celebrations in heaven as well!

I said it first :P

One of the members there got up and did a testemony, which really hit home for me-- he said he was born into the church, but for the past 20 years, he never went...

Its was practically my own story! lol. After sacrament, I stopped that man in the hallway and told him how I felt. He is the one who introduced me to the bishop and all. So I really felt like I did the right thing by going in there today.

It sounds like you did go to the right ward (at least for this week.):)

Good. I'm glad that seems to have worked out for you.

:)

Welcome Back to church!

I have been a member for going on six years and it was the greatest decision of my life. what a wonderful decision you made to take the first step to come back. Now the clerk can get your records and the Relief's society can welcome you in and hopefully you will feel the spirit of the Holy Ghost fill your life and you too will find joining or in your case reactivating in the church to be a great decision in your life!

Welcome back and it is good to have you in the church!