Road Show - Looking for Stories

CTRMann

Hey Everyone –

When I joined the Church in 1995 I was in the Young Men's program. That year we did a Road Show in our Stake in Southern California. I am not sure if the Church still supports/encourages Wards and States to do these. I know I have not heard about them being done in the last 10 years though.

For those who do not know what a Road Show is; every year there was a theme given and the youth and many times parents/adults would put together a play on that theme. This play might have been about 30 min or so. They would have a cast, crew, and were produced much like any other play. Then the performers would travel around a Stake or even an area and put the plays on.

I am writing a 200ish page essay on the current culture in the LDS church. Much of this will be on the activities that are held. What it is that I am looking for are stories about these Road Shows. Personal experiences people had while working with a Road Show or even seeing a Road Shows. This might be spiritual in nature, something funny that happened, or even something that you or others might not be so proud of. Anything is up for sharing. Please share any stories or experiences you or others had while putting these shows together or putting them on.

Thanks!

Dennis

I had always heard of road shows growing up (I grew up in Southern California), but never actually saw one until I was able to participate in one (only one) as a youth outside Portland, Oregon. That would have been 1996, I think. I've not heard of them since then, and even then, it seemed like an attempt at revival.

I loved roadshows when I was growing up. Back when they were really "road" shows. We traveled to two different buildings to perform and compete.

If there was any activity that brought the youth of our ward together it was that. We had the most wonderful lady in our ward that was actually professionally trained in theater and we took the sweepstakes award almost every year.

35 years later..I can still sing the main song of one of our roadshows. That's how much of an impression it had on me. It's funny..because when I see friends from those days...we all can sing the same song.

If you go to LDS.org and do a general search for "Roadshow" a number of articles from church publication (i.e. New Era) come up. However, most of them come from the late-70s to mid-80s. It would be nice if the church brought this program back. It think it was really good for the youth.

I just moved into a new Ward about 4 months ago. I just found out from the YM President that my new Stake does the RS every other year. How great! I know the Stake I was last in (for 10 years) never did it. I wonder if it's just preference by Stake Presidents or what? Anyhow, I am excited to hear it.