Career Help From The Church?

Melissa569

Ok, so my situation is that I am currently unemployed, and I really think I need to get into office work as soon as possible. I was wondering if there was any way the church might be able to help.

I have a really fussy gallbladder (but I fall between the cracks on insurance, so can’t get it removed). It causes back pain on the right side when it acts up. But not constantly, usually after standing too long, and/or a while of physical strain. I also have scoliosis (a sort of lop-sided spine), you can’t tell by looking at me, but X-rays show a slightly abnormal lean to the side. Both of these have kept me from being able to work the labor jobs (like food service, and jobs where I’m doing heavy lifting, or not allowed to sit down for several hours). I've done them for a short time, but I would eventually have to quit, because the pain was slowing me down significantly, and my bosses would get angry. Basically, after about 20 minutes of standing, lifting, etc., it REALLY starts to hurt. So bad, I frequently have to sneak off to the bathroom, and lay on the floor, and I often cry when it gets really bad. I’ve tried pain killers, they don’t work.

But I’m really good on the computer, so working with one, and running a few errands here and there wouldnt be a problem. So that’s why I really want to get into office work, because I don’t want to stay unemployed, or depend on someone else (I hate that). I also don't want to just stay home and collect dissability (for one, they don't pay enough to live on, and two, its almost impossible to get, especially when you're young). I’m not sure if I can go to the local community college for training, because we don’t really have extra tuition money, and I don’t qualify for the grants.

Problem is, most office jobs (especially in this bad economy) require either experience, training, or both. And I don't have any. I was looking on the LDS main website, and I found the following pages:

Career Rehab:

Individualized Vocational Assessment Process

Career Training:

Who Does Deseret Industries Help?

So I was wondering, has anyone ever gone through these routes to get career training? Can the church help you get training, if you can’t afford it? I’m just looking for a way out of this impossible rut, lol.

Edited by Melissa569

Ok, so my situation is that I am currently unemployed, and I really think I need to get into office work as soon as possible. I was wondering if there was any way the church might be able to help.

I have a really fussy gallbladder (but I fall between the cracks on insurance, so can’t get it removed). It causes back pain on the right side when it acts up. But not constantly, usually after standing too long, and/or a while of physical strain. I also have scoliosis (a sort of lop-sided spine), you can’t tell by looking at me, but X-rays show a slightly abnormal lean to the side. Both of these have kept me from being able to work the labor jobs (like food service, and jobs where I’m doing heavy lifting, or not allowed to sit down for several hours). I've done them for a short time, but I would eventually have to quit, because the pain was slowing me down significantly, and my bosses would get angry. Basically, after about 20 minutes of standing, lifting, etc., it REALLY starts to hurt. So bad, I frequently have to sneak off to the bathroom, and lay on the floor, and I often cry when it gets really bad. I’ve tried pain killers, they don’t work.

But I’m really good on the computer, so working with one, and running a few errands here and there wouldnt be a problem. So that’s why I really want to get into office work, because I don’t want to stay unemployed, or depend on someone else (I hate that). I also don't want to just stay home and collect dissability (for one, they don't pay enough to live on, and two, its almost impossible to get, especially when you're young). I’m not sure if I can go to the local community college for training, because we don’t really have extra tuition money, and I don’t qualify for the grants.

Problem is, most office jobs (especially in this bad economy) require either experience, training, or both. And I don't have any. I was looking on the LDS main website, and I found the following pages:

Career Rehab:

Individualized Vocational Assessment Process

Career Training:

Who Does Deseret Industries Help?

So I was wondering, has anyone ever gone through these routes to get career training? Can the church help you get training, if you can’t afford it? I’m just looking for a way out of this impossible rut, lol.

Trust me on this; talk to your stake president.:)

I don't mean to be the "bearer of bad news" but do you have specific office skills? (E.G. Billing and coding, altus, legal research and writing, blue book citation. etc. )

Everyone who graduated from high school since the late 90s has computer skills, if you're referring to word, excel, powerpoint etc. You need something that distinguishes you from the rest.

Perhaps it is time to look into an education for an office type job?

I don't mean to be the "bearer of bad news" but do you have specific office skills? (E.G. Billing and coding, altus, legal research and writing, blue book citation. etc. )

Everyone who graduated from high school since the late 90s has computer skills, if you're referring to word, excel, powerpoint etc. You need something that distinguishes you from the rest.

Perhaps it is time to look into an education for an office type job?

Yeah, that's what I was asking about, the training. It says on one of those pages/links I posted, that they can help you get the training, if its needed.