New Calling - any advice?

AmyKate88

Hey all!

I got a new calling from my bishop on Sunday so now I have two... Eek! :eek:

The new calling is "Welcoming Committee Chair", basically, as I understand it, I am in charge of keeping track of new members in the ward, making sure their paperwork is in order (records, etc), getting their home & visiting teachers, and making them feel welcome & needed. I also get to go to the early morning ward leadership meetings....

Has anyone ever had this calling? If so, do you have any advice/good ideas? Thanks! :D

That's a new one on me. I thought the ward clerk was responsible for making sure their records were there and that the Priesthood quorum and visiting teaching coordinator made sure that they had people assigned to visit.

But have fun. Sounds like it could be fun and give you a chance to get to know the new members as they come in.

I also get to go to the early morning ward leadership meetings....

Get to go? Wait till you do have to get up much earlier to be there..you might not think such a great idea after all. :P

Edited by pam

Dito with Pam! It's always been the Ward Clerk who is responsible for the records and the EQ/HP Leaders and RS Pres. who takes care of HT & VT. In the past the Welcome Committee have been responsible to "welcome" and see that the families know when and where, what numbers to call is things are needed, Stake and Ward positions and local church facilities, (other buildings, temple, distribution center, etc.).

Double check what the bishop is asking of you and then have fun!! This can be a great calling and you could be helping new members more than you know. My daughter was welcomed as a visitor to RS again, (she has lived there 7 months and goes every Sunday).

Dito with Pam! It's always been the Ward Clerk who is responsible for the records and the EQ/HP Leaders and RS Pres. who takes care of HT & VT. In the past the Welcome Committee have been responsible to "welcome" and see that the families know when and where, what numbers to call is things are needed, Stake and Ward positions and local church facilities, (other buildings, temple, distribution center, etc.).

Double check what the bishop is asking of you and then have fun!! This can be a great calling and you could be helping new members more than you know. My daughter was welcomed as a visitor to RS again, (she has lived there 7 months and goes every Sunday).

What she doesn't yet realize is that she is the new clerk, but the bishop doesn't want to draw attention to himself by giving her the official title. She'll be ordained an elder at her first early morning meeting.

The new calling is "Welcoming Committee Chair", basically, as I understand it, I am in charge of keeping track of new members in the ward, making sure their paperwork is in order (records, etc), getting their home & visiting teachers, and making them feel welcome & needed. I also get to go to the early morning ward leadership meetings....

:D

When I read the description of your new calling I felt quite confused at what it actually was. It sounded to me like a cross between R/S, EQ/HP leaders, Ward Clerk and the Welcoming committee.

I agree with WmLee that it would be best to check with your Bishop to remove the burden you feel. Request a description of the duties for your new calling. Your Bishop is the one who called you so he would know what is required of you. Pay special attention to what is/was said when you are/were set apart, particularly to any counsel or special blessings that are bestowed.

Rely on prayer and scripture study to help you solve problems. Blessings come when you do your best in whatever capacity you are called to serve and all callings are important in the church. If you do all you can, Heavenly Father will make up the rest.

There is no point remaining confused about your calling requirements because Satan will further stick his nose in and cause unnecessary misery and deny you the joy of serving the Lord.

All the best.

Hey all!

I got a new calling from my bishop on Sunday so now I have two... Eek! :eek:

Has anyone ever had this calling? If so, do you have any advice/good ideas? Thanks! :D

no counsel from this one; with the exception of a spelling correction; I;E.. its spelled Eeeeeeekkkk!!!!!:o