am i just impatient or...

Lbybug

does the main page load a LOT slower with the addition of the facebook "fan" link? With all the stuff on the front page now (chat window, facebook link, video of i think the prophet, and haiti relief fund) it seems to be sooo slow loading, sometimes taking up to a minute before i can even scroll the page down.

is this just me? do i need to update flash player or something again? am i just impatient?

just curious :D

It's been taking longer for me for weeks, with the Haiti widget. Call me insensitive, but it's really annoying the crap out of me. It's taking even longer now with the Facebook widget as well, and the placement of that annoys me too, because I have to scroll a lot farther down to see new posts.

Of course I can't sit back and not respond to this.

What is the mission of TheMoreGoodFoundation?

Illuminate the fruits of LDS Church members (Mormons)

Facilitate personal expressions of faith

Reach out to friends of other faiths using their vocabulary

Publish and market high quality LDS content

Provide a non-authoritative voice

Refer interested people to the Church

MGF also helps to promote messages from the First Presidency that is felt to be of importance to members and non members from around the globe. Currently this focuses on the plight of the people in Haiti.

With the modern uses and ways to reach more people such as Facebook, Twitter, etc. MGF felt it important as well to use these resources to reach more people to inform them of the services and the mission of their organization. It's really about using every resource to spread the gospel. lds.net is TheMoreGoodFoundation's biggest and most widely used site. So it makes sense that they would use it to promote other avenues of communication that they are involved in.

I'm sorry if some feel it's an inconvenience that they now have to scroll an additional inch or two to read what the "latest posts" are. The purpose of this site is not really about convenience. It's about using the internet in good and wholesome ways to promote the gospel of Jesus Christ.

I'm sorry if some feel it's an inconvenience that they now have to scroll an additional inch or two to read what the "latest posts" are. The purpose of this site is not really about convenience. It's about using the internet in good and wholesome ways to promote the gospel of Jesus Christ.

I do understand your point completely, however the bit in bold doesn't entirely make sense. A website is nothing without its userbase. And like every other website, regardless of its purpose, if it's difficult to navigate, takes a long time to load, or otherwise "inconvenient" to use in any other way, people will stop using it and go elsewhere (assuming they don't have a contained customer base). The design of lds.net is NOT bad, however bad designs of other websites/webserver issues have in the past completely driven away the majority of their userbase. I just thought I'd clarify that with this website, as with any other website, convenience of use is very important. Particularly as we get so many investigators here.

Edited by Mahone

i don't mind them being on there at all. my only issue is that with the additions, i go to scroll down, and the widgets scroll with me. and get in the way of everything, which makes me inclined to just skip going to the home page at all....which is really counter-productive to the point of them being there.

i'm not complaining, i just wanted to make sure it wasn't just me :D

I do understand your point completely, however the bit in bold doesn't entirely make sense. A website is nothing without its userbase. And like every other website, regardless of its purpose, if it's difficult to navigate, takes a long time to load, or otherwise "inconvenient" to use in any other way, people will stop using it and go elsewhere (assuming they don't have a contained customer base). The design of lds.net is NOT bad, however bad designs of other websites/webserver issues have in the past completely driven away the majority of their userbase. I just thought I'd clarify that with this website, as with any other website, convenience of use is very important. Particularly as we get so many investigators here.

My point was Mahone, that the site would not leave something they feel is important out just for to keep a member from having to scroll down an inch or so to find something they want to look at.

Personally I never look at the home page. I wasn't aware of the presence of the facebook addon on there until this thread. I just go straight to http://www.lds.net/forums/search.php?do=getnew in order to see new posts. I have this page bookmarked. It's considerably quicker this way.

I've tried using that, but I've always found it incomplete, or to continue to have threads that aren't new anymore (sometimes by almost a week). Maybe it's me.

I've tried using that, but I've always found it incomplete, or to continue to have threads that aren't new anymore (sometimes by almost a week). Maybe it's me.

It always seems to work for me. It works by any threads that have been updated since your last login to the site, as opposed to any new threads that have been added since your last login.

It always seems to work for me. It works by any threads that have been updated since your last login to the site, as opposed to any new threads that have been added since your last login.

Ah. Okay. I prefer to find the new threads added, and then go through the forums to find new one updated. That explains the discrepancy, though.