8.5 earthquake hits near Concepcion, Chile

pam

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rockies vs. Appalachians notwithstanding, here's an update from the LDS Newsroom:

Church leaders have identified that food, water, tents, blankets, hygiene kits and sleeping mats are needed to assist people in the affected region. Representatives of the Church in Chile have been in contact with the country’s Interior Ministry to determine how the Church can most appropriately assist in relief efforts. Emergency response personnel at Church headquarters are poised to provide assistance as appropriate.

Full article

I've been making little comments about 'earthquakes in diverse places' lately to my friends, but this new earthquake in Turkey has me wondering Death toll in Turkey earthquake reaches 57: report We had earthquakes in Haiti, Chile, Taiwan, and now Turkey all in a geologically short time. Is this important or simply Mother Earth having a nice stretch? Lol this is me getting paranoid :P

I've been making little comments about 'earthquakes in diverse places' lately to my friends, but this new earthquake in Turkey has me wondering Death toll in Turkey earthquake reaches 57: report We had earthquakes in Haiti, Chile, Taiwan, and now Turkey all in a geologically short time. Is this important or simply Mother Earth having a nice stretch? Lol this is me getting paranoid :P

It'd be really hard to tell. We have better communication than ever before, and news of these events travels so quickly that we hear about them more often. Plus you have a media that's always trying to have the big story because they need readers and viewers to help their bottom line.

Ultimately, I think we're experiencing more recall bias than we are increased natural disasters. It does tend to leave you with the same psychological effect though.

It'd be really hard to tell. We have better communication than ever before, and news of these events travels so quickly that we hear about them more often. Plus you have a media that's always trying to have the big story because they need readers and viewers to help their bottom line.

Ultimately, I think we're experiencing more recall bias than we are increased natural disasters. It does tend to leave you with the same psychological effect though.

For what it is worth my Geology professor mentioned that the number of earth quakes (and their sizes) this year haven't exceeded what one might reasonably expect. It sticks out more when Haiti and Chile get hit in quick succession, but the earth doesn't care about headlines, it just does its thing.