What freeze dried food is best.

WyomingEMT

There's a company that sell's a freeze dried stew or chicken ala king type dried food. All you do is add water and they say the stuff lasts for 15 plus years on the shelf. The catch is that they what to sell you a 6 month or more supply of everything. Has anyone bought freeze dried in the past and tried it? Is it worth buying all the other number 10 cans that goes with the 1 can ready to eat meals that I want in my storage? It costs alot, is there a cheaper way, and does freeze dried really last for 15 years.

I know the research I've done states that freeze dried can last for years and years...but once you open the can you need to use within a few days. The company I go through for a lot of my supply sells things like the freeze dried stew etc. and you can purchase it a can at a time.

• 2 weeks later...

I usually purchase mountain house #10 cans of various freeze dried foods, although not for home storage (I decant them into smaller pouches for backpacking using a seal-a-meal). Amazon.com sometimes has sales on MH cans, and you can also buy it directly from MH. They have all sorts of stuff, although save your money and don't buy stuff like mac-and-cheese (kraft makes it better).

I take that back- I do have one #10 can of ground beef for home storage. If we have an earthquake and our place is leveled, at least I can eat some good tacos. :)

• 2 months later...

I love the Mountain House freeze-dried meals, BUT since my daughter is married and off on her own now, it's just the wife and I and my elderly mother, so instead of #10 cans which I couldn't possibly use before they went bad, I've been stockpiling the individual (what they call "Pro-Packs") and 2 person meals they sell at Emergency Essentials.

They're a bit expensive, but they are DELICIOUS. In fact, I have a hard time keeping them on the shelves ha ha

Mountain House Pouches

• 2 weeks later...

,,,This is another decent brand; not as good as SamAndy: Walton Feed...

Actually, I like the Walton Feed product. The only problem with any of the #10 cans is once you open it you have to use it pretty quick. My parents had a restaurant. They bought a lot of stuff in the #10 cans and it worked fine for a commercial operation. For a family, unless it's a large one, the product at the bottom of the can could be pretty stale.