Fun things Mormons can't do

MarginOfError

I've noticed that a lot of life-long members (ie never had a drink of coffee in their life) generally agree with me on this, but some do not. I really wonder if coffee only smells and tastes good to people who have been addicted to it at some point. Thoughts?

That you are incorrect. It wouldn't surprise me if those who been addicted to coffee are more likely to consider its aroma pleasant (smell is a large component of taste and those who enjoy the aroma are more likely to enjoy the taste), but I highly doubt there is causation or even correlation between enjoying the aroma of coffee and having at some point been addicted to it approaching anywhere near 100%. I find the aroma of coffee enjoyable, as do several members of my family. None of us have been addicted to coffee. My mom personally finds the aroma of rubber pleasant, and I find the smell of a mechanics garage (oil and gas) pleasant. My mother has never eaten rubber let alone been addicted to it, nor have I ever resorted to licking the floor of Jiffy Lube.

I get what you're saying Dravin but here's where I'm going with this. Starbucks and other coffee houses go out of their way to fill the air around their shop full of coffee smell. They do this under the assumption that everyone loves the smell of it, and it will bring customers in the doors. They seem oblivious to the fact that a lot of people can't stand the smell of their stuff.

But the vast, vast majority of people who I've met who hate the smell are LDS or have otherwise never had coffee in their life. I've never met a routine coffee drinker who wasn't in love with the smell of it. So I have to wonder why that is.

I get what you're saying Dravin but here's where I'm going with this. Starbucks and other coffee houses go out of their way to fill the air around their shop full of coffee smell. They do this under the assumption that everyone loves the smell of it, and it will bring customers in the doors. They seem oblivious to the fact that a lot of people can't stand the smell of their stuff.

Their main product is coffee, if you hate the smell of coffee you aren't their target demographic really. I imagine a bacon maker isn't to concerned that his product fills Muslims and Jews with disgust, they aren't gonna buy it anyway. Nor is a butcher going to be overly concerned that vegetarians are going to be turned off by the meat on display. This doesn't mean they are oblivious that not everyone likes their product, but if you don't like what a store is selling they don't particularly care about you, tis called business. It's like being surprise, or assuming that Deseret Book is oblivious because they don't change their name and hide all the LDS literature so as not to chase away all those Anti-Mormons.

But the vast, vast majority of people who I've met who hate the smell are LDS or have otherwise never had coffee in their life.

If you hate the smell of eggs, how likely is it that you are going to consume them? I imagine the vast majority of people who hate the smell of eggs (if given the option) have avoided eating them, possibly to the point of never. Coffee kinda gets a leg up because nobody insists that Little Timmy drink his coffee because there are sleepy kids in Africa.

I've never met a routine coffee drinker who wasn't in love with the smell of it. So I have to wonder why that is.

Once again, if you hate the smell of something how likely are you to try it? One would think considering the connection between taste and smell that those who like the taste (or at least tolerate it as evidenced by their consumption) would also be more inclined to to like the smell? Quickly frankly your wonderment is akin to being surprised that people who like the smell and taste of chocolate eat chocolate, or that I, one who likes bread, enjoys the smell of fresh baked bread.

I'm not saying there isn't a correlation (that would be obvious, a correlation between people who enjoy the smell of coffee and who partake of it isn't surprising, at least versus those who detest the smell), just that it isn't 100%. This idea of yours that hey, because someone likes the smell of coffee they must have at some point been addicted to it is nonsensical. Of course not everyone who likes the smell of coffee has been addicted to it, I've given examples to the contrary.

Edited by Dravin

Mormons can't really enjoy an ice-cold Pepsi or Coke product without feeling slightly rebellious.

Only the goody-goodies can't. The rest of us drink Dr. Pepper instead. ;)

I'm racking my brain, but I can't think of a single thing that other people consider "fun" that doesn't lend itself strongly to self destructive behavior. Illicit drugs, alcohol, coffee, tobacco -- they addict you, they all cost money you could have spent on better things and they all stand to shorten your life. Bonus with alcohol of course: You might get pregnant or get somebody else pregnant or cheat on your spouse and not remember a thing! Yeah, so many "fun" things we miss out on.

Somebody mentioned Starbucks. This makes me curious. To me, coffee smells terrible!! Every accidental taste of coffee flavored ice-cream or a coffee flavored jelly bean was absolutely terrible, involving a good bit of gagging and spitting. If you gave me a choice between eating a spoon full of mud and drinking a cup of coffee, it's a coin toss as to which is more disgusting. If I ever find myself near a Starbucks or any other coffee-specializing establishment, I can't wait to get away from the stench.

I've noticed that a lot of life-long members (ie never had a drink of coffee in their life) generally agree with me on this, but some do not. I really wonder if coffee only smells and tastes good to people who have been addicted to it at some point. Thoughts?

Well, I think the first part of your post here is reactionary, but that's not what I'm primarily commenting on. I go to Starbucks occasionally, not for the coffee, but for other non-coffee drinks they make that are delicious. It's not a big to stand inside for a few minutes while I wait. Walking down the grocery store aisle that has coffee mixes is repulsive to me, but actual brewed coffee, in many different varieties, is not completely unpleasant.

Guest Godless

Posted Image

Posted Image

There are some advantages to living in Happy Valley. :)

That stuff is horrid. Posted Image

In regard to coffee, I worked as a grocery bagger in high school and was always glad to see coffee come down the belt because I loved the smell so much. I never tried drinking it until after I joined the Army and I thought it was horrid (probably not a coincidence). To this day, I won't drink it without a ton of cream and sugar. But I still love the smell.

Only the goody-goodies can't. The rest of us drink Dr. Pepper instead.

I've been away from Cherry Coke and Dr. Pepper since Jan. 1, 2010. And I miss it soooooooo much :(

Let see, what else can't Mormons do....(some) Mormons can't quote from their fav movies (like Zombieland) because they have to be a good example to the non-Mormons and don't want to explain to the Mormons where it came from.

That stuff is horrid. Posted Image

I don't recall claiming it tasted good, just that it was Pepsi that is Caffeine is Evil crowd approved. :P Personally I drink Diet Dr. Pepper and savor the bite of the caffeine in every sip. Yum... caffeinelicous, so tasty not even a monkey can resist:

Posted Image

In regard to coffee, I worked as a grocery bagger in high school and was always glad to see coffee come down the belt because I loved the smell so much.

One of the treats of grocery shopping is walking past where people bag and tag their own coffee beans. The aroma makes trudging back to the dairy section worthwhile.