Why does the Holy Ghost have to be a spirit?

mark08

The scriptures explain that the Holy Ghost doesn't have a body, otherwise it couldn't dwell within us. But even so, it can only be in one place at a time. I have a testimony of the gospel because of a witness from the Holy Ghost, but I imagine this witness came from his influence, not him actually residing inside of me. If this is the case, then why is it so important that He not have a body? Christ has a body and yet the Light of Christ permeates throughout the universe. Why can't the influence of the Holy Ghost do so in like manner?

FWIW, that section of the D&C comes from the Manuscript History of the Church, which was compiled about ten years after the fact based on contemporary accounts. The text of contemporary accounts that we still have seem to indicate to the contrary--that the Spirit can not dwell within us. See here.

I dunno. Frankly, we're a church that believes in living prophets and continuing revelation, so you could just as easily make the argument that Joseph Smith (or the scribe listening to him) was wrong and Pratt's text--which is what the Church ultimately canonized was the way it should be.

My suspicion is that God as fully embodied is so glorious that were were to feel the full power of God's power we would be engulfed. The Holy Ghost as a spirit gives us only a glimpse of God's glory. We feel the Holy Ghost just as we feel the warmth of the sun, because if we were to stare directly at the sun we would go blind, so it is with the full and complete glory of God,

FWIW, that section of the D&C comes from the Manuscript History of the Church, which was compiled about ten years after the fact based on contemporary accounts. The text of contemporary accounts that we still have seem to indicate to the contrary--that the Spirit can not dwell within us. See here.

Thanks for this post, quite enlightening. I must say that I like the unaltered versions of Joseph Smith's words as recorded by William Clayton and Willard Richards, better than Pratt's text.

The Richards' record seems to give the impression that Joseph Smith was trying to convey two different ideas. One, that the Holy Ghost is a personage of spirit (does not have a body). And Two, that the Holy Ghost's personage cannot reside within a person's heart.

Makes sense to me.

If this is the case, then why is it so important that He not have a body? Christ has a body and yet the Light of Christ permeates throughout the universe. Why can't the influence of the Holy Ghost do so in like manner?

Excellent question. The Light of Christ (at least the portion of it that gives men the ability to sense right from wrong) seems to be a passive influence that all mortals receive regardless of their intent. The Power of the Holy Ghost on the other hand is a much more dynamic power. It would probably be better to compare the Power of the Holy Ghost to the Second Comforter instead of the Light of Christ.

D&C 88:3 discusses the 'second' comforter, and it uses the same terms that Willard Richards used, "that it may abide in your hearts"

Although the Holy Ghost does not currently have a body. We know that he eventually will receive a body like Christ did.

Sermon delivered at Nauvoo temple grounds on Sunday August 27, 1843 Franklin D. Richards "Scriptural Items"

Holy Ghost in Probationary State

Joseph also said that the Holy Ghost is now in a state of Probation which if he should perform in righteousness he may pass through the same or a similar course of things that the Son has.

Joseph Smith, June 16 1844, as recorded in the George Laub Journal

But the holy ghost is yet a Spiritual body and waiting to take to himself a body. as the Savior did or as god did or the gods before them took bodies for the Saviour Says the work that my father did do i also & those are the works he took himself a body & then laid down his life that he might take it up again.

And although the Holy Ghost is now just a personage of spirit. It is possible that he did possess a body in the past...

Edited by mikbone