Bishop disciplinary council

Guest EmmaLeah05

Guest EmmaLeah05

I have sinned. I did a horrible thing and while participating in this sin, I had no idea what I was doing. I over time, somehow let satan weasel his way into my head and got me to believe what I was doing "wasn't that big of a deal." But it definitely was. For a while (2 months) I felt no guilt for what I was doing, but thankfully something changed one day and I had a huge flood of guilt and pain come over me. The next day, I told my husband what had been going on. (before I had absolutely NO intention of ever telling him EVER. I told myself he had no need to know....satan's words).

I then went and confessed to the bishop, which was one of the HARDEST things I've ever had to do. As the days went by, the magnitude of my sin really began to weigh on me as I realized how serious it really was. Satan had put blinders on me to keep me from realizing this while it was going on.

After a 2nd meeting with my bishop, he decided the bishopric would hold a bishops disciplinary council. I've never heard of this before even being a member of the church my whole life. Few details were given to me about it and I didn't really ask any questions because I was in a bit of a state of shock.

My disciplinary council is tomorrow night. I have had over a week to prepare myself for it. I have really committed myself 100% to this repentance process. I can't stand to live in the dark lonely painful place I have been. I have been praying, fasting and reading my scriptures on a daily basis, I read "the miracle of forgiveness" which is an AMAZING book btw, and I have been pondering MANY things constantly. I want to badly to be back on the right path.

So the advice I'm seeking..... I have no idea what to expect in this counsil. Will I have to confess the sin again? And go into details? It was so hard to do the first time and it is not something I like to talk about. But if it is what I have to do, I'm fine with it. I would appreciate some info as what to expect from someone who has gone through a bishops counsil. I understand I COULD be excommunicated. I hope that isn't the outcome, but if that's the Lord's will, I'm preparing myself for that.

How the disciplinary council is held depends a lot on the nature of your transgression, the duration in which you were engaging it, and the individuals holding the council (in your case, the bishopric). It is my opinion that you shouldn't need to go into detail about your transgressions, but your bishopric may feel differently.

What will (at least it should) happen is that you will be asked to explain why your transgression was wrong, what principles of the Gospel it violated, and how you feel about your understanding and the fact that you committed the transgression anyway. There should be instruction and counsel from the bishopric on these same topics.

Disciplinary councils can be very uplifting and empowering if you go into them with humility and a mind and heart willing to receive the teachings and decisions that are given by the Spirit. As long as you are willing to admit your transgressions and accept whatever penalty comes of them, you will not be disappointed (regardless of whether or not you're excommunicated...yes, excommunication can be a positive result)

I can't speak to the specifics - they're different for everyone. But I can say one thing:

I have really committed myself 100% to this repentance process. I can't stand to live in the dark lonely painful place I have been. I have been praying, fasting and reading my scriptures on a daily basis, I read "the miracle of forgiveness" which is an AMAZING book btw, and I have been pondering MANY things constantly. I want to badly to be back on the right path.

It sounds like you very much are on the right path.

Guest mormonmusic

EmmaLeah:

I just sent you a private message on this. Hope it helps you.

I agree with Loumouth Mormon that you're on the right track.

I went through a diciplinary counsel over a year ago. It was a very comforting experience. I was very scared when I went into it but it turned out just fine.

The purpose behind a diciplinary counsel is to determine what kind of repentance needs to be done for the sinner to be completely forgiven. It will consist of your bishopric. They will have you come into the room with them, they will usually open with prayer, then they will ask you questions about your sin. There is a pretty good chance that you will have to re-confess what you did. They will ask you questions about how you feel about what you did. Then they will ask you to step outside. They will then discuss and pray about what you need to do for repentance. When they have received an answer they will ask you to come back in. They will then tell you what conclusion they have come to. They will usually not excommunicate you but will have you repent via a different manner such as disfellowshiping, or formal probation. They will tell you what you need to do for whichever repentance process you are given. Usually weekly or monthly meetings with the bishop are included in these instructions. You will need to schedule these meetings with the Executive Secretary. Depending on what you needed to do to repent you may have a follow up diciplinary counsel after you have been forgiven. This will be to end the disfellowshiping or formal probation.

As I mentioned before, the purpose of the counsel is not to dicipline but rather to comfort and help you on the road to repentance. As long as you approach it with a repentant heart you will be just fine.

Guest EmmaLeah05

Thank you everyone for your responses and information. I appreciate it very much! I will buy a copy of that book next time I'm at Deseret Book. It definitely sounds like something I could use.

Relax.

I have been in a few from the other side. I will tell you that there is nothing but love and a desire to help you get your life right with God.

Be calm and honest. and all will go ok. You have the correct attitude, and we all make mistakes. The Bishopric knows this, and has a desire to help and love you.

Keep on the track!