Practicing Humility - Practically

Horus_53

How does one truly practice meekness and humility? In the church, we talk alot about practicing meekness and humility. However, the more I attempt this - the more I seem to encounter the following experiences;

1. Most business relationships find this character trait as a weakness. While this might be attributable to my attempts to work this - most see it as an opportunity to take advantage of me - overtly or covertly.

I have even encountered this among church 'careerists' who work their leadership calling like a business position.

2. Most personal relationships work similarly. While the results may be more 'benign', the result is the same. Generally I've found the more meek a person becomes, the more others will impose their will upon them.

My question is this - knowing the foregoing may result from practicing humility - how does one cultivate the serenity and inner peace needed to accept it?

I understand the sentiment that the humble we seem to be, the more proud of that fact we often become. However, based on the problems you sound like you've encountered, I think you may be missing the true meaning of humility. Humility isn't putting oneself down or having an "aw, shucks" attitude. It means not flaunting yourself, especially at the expense of another. That doesn't mean that you can't talk yourself up on your resume, but rather than when you go to the interview, be honest about both your shortcomings and your strengths. You don't need to stick your nose in either the air or the dirt.

I personally believe it is more of a balance of both humility and knowing when to stand your ground. I do reference the Lord's handling of the Jerusalem Temple situation. You can see His humility in previous writing before the event and after entering the temple of what He did witnesses. He could of have been humbled and loving but instead, He made a statement for what was occurring in His FATHER's house [temple]; more or less, I would call it a displeasure moment.

Guest mormonmusic

Wow, what a great question.

In my experience, when I'm around arrogant people my own humility leads to the problems you mention.

Most arrogant people think very highly of themselves due to being right all the time, or some other skill they have -- and when you humbly acknowledge your weaknesses, it only reinforces their arrogant and un-self-aware perception of themselves. It fuels their arrogance and they treat you as a weak person.

Around such people, I rarely if ever acknowledge any weakness I may have, nor do I complement them humbly on their strengths. This only feeds their arrogance.

Personally, I think the best kind of humility is the humlity you confess to God -- for his greatness, your dependence on him, etcetera. He doesn't take advantage of you as a result -- in fact, he strengthens you when you are humble. Be humble to God, and you will have strength around others without arrogance. You will know when and how to be humble in front of them, and there will be fewer instances of being taken advantage of.

Edited by mormonmusic

I think often times we confuse humility with false humility. Often times I observe people describing others as humble just because they seem submissive or they are shy and talk softly. These are not necessarily descriptions of humility in my opinion. For me, a person who is truly humble does not acknowledge his/her own humility, he/she is teachable, does not get offended quickly and does not need to "win" an argument or disagreement just for the sake of thinking he/she is right but instead, knows how and when to pick up his battles and leave.

A person who is truly humble, forgets about themselves while they are serving others. They really do not care how they are seen or perceived because they have reach a spiritual stage in their lives where what men think or do makes no difference to them and they continue pressing forward.

The humble guy is that guy that you see in the back bench at Church, who hardly speaks at times, who many think he is either a new member or even less active. The one that spends his days and nights caring for the poor and the afflicted, the one that never, ever mentions what he does for others.

Guest mormonmusic

For me, a person who is truly humble does not acknowledge his/her own humility...

Someone once said that humility is a virtue which, as soon as you admit you have it, you lose it.