Which books of old testament been included in brass plates

Gerasim

Just need help from you people here on forum. I been involve in discasion with one investigator about brass plates and his question was ''what books of old testament been included in brass plates'' that Nephi and his brothers bring from Jerusalem to father Lehi ?

I give him to read verses from 1. Ne 5:10-13, this was not enough for him and he want to know exact list of books ? Can you name them and make some list. Thank you

10 And after they had given thanks unto the God of Israel, my father, Lehi, took the records which were engraven upon the plates of brass, and he did search them from the beginning.

11 And he beheld that they did contain the five books of Moses, which gave an account of the creation of the world, and also of Adam and Eve, who were our first parents;

12 And also a record of the Jews from the beginning, even down to the commencement of the reign of Zedekiah, king of Judah;

13 And also the prophecies of the holy prophets, from the beginning, even down to the commencement of the reign of Zedekiah; and also many prophecies which have been spoken by the mouth of Jeremiah. (1. Ne 5:10-13)

The only insight I will add is that they were written in Egyptian. That being the case, we know they originated during or after the time of Joseph of Egypt. I don't think Adam or Enoch wrote in Egyptian, even though the records of their lives were included in the Brass Plates.

I don't know of a more complete list than you've already given.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, thanks but than we can say that they take with them scriptures on plates as listed, ...

Job

Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy

Joshua, Judges

Ruth, Samuel, Psalms, Song of Solomon, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes

Obadiah, Joel

Jonah, Amos, Hosea, Isaiah, Micah

Nahum, Zephaniah

Jeremiah, Lamentations, Habakkuk, Kings

Malachi

... if I am wrong, please make corrections ! Thank you !

Just need help from you people here on forum. I been involve in discasion with one investigator about brass plates and his question was ''what books of old testament been included in brass plates'' that Nephi and his brothers bring from Jerusalem to father Lehi ?

What does this question have to do with faith, repentance and baptism?

How would the answer to this question help your investigator come closer to Christ?

3 Nephi 11:40

And whoso shall declare more or less than this, and establish it for my doctrine, the same cometh of evil, and is not built upon my rock; but he buildeth upon a sandy foundation, and the gates of hell stand open to receive such when the floods come and the winds beat upon them.

However, keep in mind that Lehi lived around the time of Jeremiah in the Old Testament (~600 BC), so it would be highly doubtful that they would have any books written after that time.

A better question for your investigators would be "Why did they go to such great lengths to get the scriptures to take to the new land? What can we learn about how WE should view our scriptures?"

Keep discussions with investigators FAITH promoting with gospel principles, not necessarily with the details of minutae. Details won't convert. Only the Lord will help convert with the Holy Spirit.

I give him to read verses from 1. Ne 5:10-13, this was not enough for him and he want to know exact list of books ? Can you name them and make some list. Thank you

10 And after they had given thanks unto the God of Israel, my father, Lehi, took the records which were engraven upon the plates of brass, and he did search them from the beginning.

11 And he beheld that they did contain the five books of Moses, which gave an account of the creation of the world, and also of Adam and Eve, who were our first parents;

12 And also a record of the Jews from the beginning, even down to the commencement of the reign of Zedekiah, king of Judah;

13 And also the prophecies of the holy prophets, from the beginning, even down to the commencement of the reign of Zedekiah; and also many prophecies which have been spoken by the mouth of Jeremiah. (1. Ne 5:10-13)

Looking back at the Book of Mormon, two groups of people manage to bring forth two records to the promise land. The Jaredites brought forth the records of the Patriarchs (meaning - the records from Adam to Noah), and the Lehi's family, brought forth the record that we have today called the Old Testament (partial but not complete as our today); only to the prophets living prior to their leaving the Land of Jerusalem around 600 BC.

[My opinion here] Being a narration or abridgement of Mormon from Lehi to his own book – called the record of or Book of Mormon - there are many records or plates that were not included by this great prophet. I can only suspect of the amount of plates required to cover the span for almost a 1000-years span would outweigh his time and tasking. As there were many diver prophets, even among the Lamanites and Nephites, that we can safely assumed, were not included due to space and time. Mormon is the author of the book, along with his son, Moroni, covering what he felt was the spiritual highlights of the society, or areas that we and the latter-day Lamanites could benefit from. That being said, it would not likely be in the book today, in reading the writings of Isaiah if Martin Harris didn’t loose the 116-page manuscript. By loosing the manuscript, the smaller plates of Nephite, was incorporate by Joseph Smith to cover the abridgement portion from Lehi to King Benjamin. Mormon was not the author but those whom the book (records) was called after. There is no abridgement here to read but directly from the original author.

Your list is complete, as per what we know from the book of mormon. it is impossible to know further than what is given to us. Keep in mind that the bible we have today is nothing like what it was then. you might even conjecture that the translation of what was taken from the golden plates of the book of mormon and given to us as the list of books is actually an approximation of the functional equilivant of what we know as the bible, and not what they actually had. It had to be told to us in a manner we would understand, and relate to as our scriptures in existance.