Missionaries and Gifts?

vestig8or

Hi,

Happy 4th of July, everyone.

Question: Is it appropriate for members to give gifts/cash to missionaries for specific events, such as baptisms, holidays, or (in this case) when a missionary is leaving the stake to serve in a different area? One elder who was instrumental to preparing me for baptism is stopping by this evening to say goodbye to my husband and me. Feels appropriate to give him a card with a couple bucks inside, but not sure if that's "kosher." ;)

Thanks!

I like John's thoughts, something sentimental instead of pecuniary. You said preparing you, are you baptized yet? As a card with a picture of you in your jumpsuit (though no pictures of the actual baptism) would probably be appreciated when you finally are baptized.

Hi,

Happy 4th of July, everyone.

Question: Is it appropriate for members to give gifts/cash to missionaries for specific events, such as baptisms, holidays, or (in this case) when a missionary is leaving the stake to serve in a different area? One elder who was instrumental to preparing me for baptism is stopping by this evening to say goodbye to my husband and me. Feels appropriate to give him a card with a couple bucks inside, but not sure if that's "kosher." ;)

Thanks!

I do agree with John in not giving money. I have given gifts to departing missionaries but never money. Always look for an item they are in need of. Here is an example our family did for two sets of missionaries;

I remember when I released and return back to my own ward, the question was raised among the High Priest quorum, summer is nearing and the missionaries needed a large fan for their apartment. It was first suggested to purchase them a fan. The local Bishop stated no but seeking donation only. Then someone raised their hand and stated they would give the missionaries a fan. I remembered for a few summers in our area, it was quite uncomfortable for most people to sleep at night unless you had either central air or room type A/C. After the meeting, I approach the missionaries off to the side and ask it was ok for them to accept a 12K BTU A/C stand up unit. They were ecstatically delighted. And yes! It was a terrible summer that year. At least after a hard day proselytizing, they could rest in comfort for the next day.

Even the Bishop made the right decision in not accepting monies from the members but sought only donations. To give of one property or find a gift that could be used, is far better than money itself. They will cherish it more when it is given by the heart and not by the wallet.

I for one am grateful for members who seek always show their gratitude not only to the Lord but to those who were instrumentals in their lives. God bless.

I don't know about in other countries, but I served in the USA, and we were specifically instructed (while I was in the MTC, not just in my own mission) that we were not allowed as missionaries to accept cash. If you wanted to give more than a card or a picture, a small gift card might be appropriate -- $10 to the grocery store, $5 to an ice cream store, etc.

Thanks, everyone! I like the idea of a gift card to a local ice cream shop. He mentioned that it's supposed to get really hot where he's going. Wonder what the young adults prefer these days? Cold Stone Creamery or Baskin Robbins...

In my experience small amounts of money go further at Baskin Robbins than Cold Stone.

I actually prefer Baskin Robbins myself. They seem to have more flavor options and Cold Stone seems to be almost too sweet for me. I was actually sick to my stomach last time I had Cold Stone and couldn't even finish the small sized ice cream. And I didn't add much in the way of toppings either.

Wonder what the young adults prefer these days? Cold Stone Creamery or Baskin Robbins...

In my experience small amounts of money go further at Baskin Robbins than Cold Stone.

While that's true, missionaries are more likely to be able to afford the odd trip to BR on their own, whereas Cold Stone is too expensive. Cold Stone is a real treat, even for me, because it is more expensive, and I go there less frequently.