Edited Movies

JohnnyRudick

I think some site like that had been shut down because of copyright violations. At least, there's a DVD player called Clear Play that does something similar, but the editing is done on one's own TV, leaving the DVD intact which doesn't violate copyright. I think the best option is not to rent movies that have content someone finds offensive, but the Clear Play machine is a better alternative as it allows the art form known as movies to be left intact. Then again, I live near the evil place known as Hollywood.

I think that this is the site my dad looked into. He investigated it and found that they were guilty of some bad business practices: not sending DVDs, etc. He ordered a DVD from them, I think, but as this was only a week or two ago, I don't know that it would have arrived yet. Maybe I'll ask if he ever got it from them.

There was a couple of these sites around. Most have shut down. I think they might have grouped together to sell what is left in stock (even though they keep doing new movies).

I have bought plenty of them. Mostly because the movie I had seen on TV (edited) so I thought I would just watch it again (edited).

Honestly to some extent is proxy sinning. I guess in the end the person watching the movie would have to believe they are sinning.

Clear Play that does something similar, but the editing is done on one's own TV, leaving the DVD intact which doesn't violate copyright.

This is correct, it uses the close caption that is on all movies to know when to skip forward. The only problem is you have to pay a subscription so that new movies get updated with the service. I would rather just buy the edited DVD, then buy a "bad" dvd and skip over the bad parts.

I think some site like that had been shut down because of copyright violations. At least, there's a DVD player called Clear Play that does something similar, but the editing is done on one's own TV, leaving the DVD intact which doesn't violate copyright. I think the best option is not to rent movies that have content someone finds offensive, but the Clear Play machine is a better alternative as it allows the art form known as movies to be left intact. Then again, I live near the evil place known as Hollywood.

I saw those at Target not too long ago- it appeared that you would download a file from their website onto a USB key, and then stick that into the player. I have mixed feelings about this though.

If a movie is bad enough to require editing, then should you be watching it? If it's simply to remove a swear word, do you really think that your kids haven't heard that word before (also, see previous question about 'why')?

For me, I just deal with the swearing/violence- I don't watch a ton of movies, and I'm picky about the ones I DO watch, but of those I watch, I can't imagine how movies like Batman Begins or Schindler's List could be edited and retain their respective levels of awesomeness.

Years ago in the mid or early 90's I wrote quite a few letters to various wigs at some of the big name movie

company's and asked them if they could use the edited movies used by some of the networks and market

them as edited DVD's.

At that time they were doing a whole lot better job at editing then the sloppy jobs they do in this day.

I cannot forget back in about 1986 how shocked I was when my daughter brought home a movie for

us and some guests to watch and the situations and words that started to pour forth from our newly

acquired VHS machine.

I had no idea that movies were made like that.

I had seen this same movie on TV and it was if it were an entirely different movie.

Today they edit very little and there is not alternate situation inserted into the noxious one.

Back then they would insert alternate language and scenarios into these places.

There is little effort today.

They may make a silence in the offending spot and it is not hard for the mind to fill in

the offending language.

I explained to the producers and others how large a market for DVD's is out there as

many do not buy the existing ones but if there were legitimate copies of the same

movie that was produced the way the movie should have been produced in the first

place they could not help but expand their business and profits.

But guess what?

Many of them it seems are not as intent of earning money as they are in educating.

Seems like good business sense to me- offer a "family friendly" version of the movie when possible. Personally though, I think the business model of selling actual media is dead- with companies such as Netflix and Redbox, why pay $20 for a DVD when you can rent it for "free" (subscription), or for very little (redbox).

Clear play is a great company if you are interested in watching movies that are free from offensive material. You buy their DVD player and then download filters via the internet to a USB data stick. You can choose the level of filtering you want. We have used it for years. There is nothing illegal about it. Here is a link to their web site if you want to learn more.

ClearPlay

Clear play is a great company if you are interested in watching movies that are free from offensive material. You buy their DVD player and then download filters via the internet to a USB data stick. You can choose the level of filtering you want. We have used it for years. There is nothing illegal about it. Here is a link to their web site if you want to learn more.

ClearPlay

I got me a player some years ago that did just that:o

It was ajustable to how much of the offending piece you could cut out.

from just taking out the small part of offending matter which every one could

guess what was being said or done in their heads to taking out the whole chapter.

It did not work very well in my world:cool:

I've always found this tactic to be a little... odd. If a movie is bad enough that you can't watch it unedited, aren't you sort of forcing some other person to watch it in all its unedited glory (the editor), so that you can then watch the clean version?

And if the editor works at a place like this, he or she probably has the same morals that you do.

It doesn't seem right to force someone else (willing or not) to expose themselves to the same things you don't want to be exposed to just so you can watch the other 100 minutes of a movie.

Either don't watch the movie, or use fast-forward :)

Just my heathenistic two cents, lol.

I've always found this tactic to be a little... odd. If a movie is bad enough that you can't watch it unedited, aren't you sort of forcing some other person to watch it in all its unedited glory (the editor), so that you can then watch the clean version?

And if the editor works at a place like this, he or she probably has the same morals that you do.

It doesn't seem right to force someone else (willing or not) to expose themselves to the same things you don't want to be exposed to just so you can watch the other 100 minutes of a movie.

Years ago when they use to do it "right",

They while producing the movie would do alternate "takes".

One for the theater and one for network TV.

They do not do that any more as standards have

become so lax to where it seems to be alright to just

edit out the so called offending part.

I assume it is now to costly to do alternate takes.

Yes, If a person is payed to sit and edit out these movies

I take it it is his or her job and perhaps cares less for the

morality of it all as much as the paycheck.

Unless there is a volunteer group doing the editing

then I do see the crime in that.

No, in most cases I will not get to see the new movie

but it is really no loss to me.

They see it as an "art work" and blasphemy to alter it in any way.

Yet I see they do just that to put in alternate endings, etc.

I guess when it suits them. . .

Done "venting" for now:cool:

Oh, and as I hinted at, These movies are already edited and ready to go.

They have been showing them on Network stations for many years now, the older the better.

Just pkg. them up and put them out on the market for people to buy or rent:)

Edited by JohnnyRudick
Fix my smile:-)

I can't imagine how movies like Batman Begins or Schindler's List could be edited and retain their respective levels of awesomeness.

Good point, but what about at least removing all those field of flowers from Dr. Zhivago for those who suffer with hay fever?

Or all those stairs from Vertigo for those of us out of shape?

• 1 year later...

I saw this thread and found it interesting that some people felt they were sinning by proxy by "forcing" someone to watch bad content in order to edit it.

First off no one is forced, they are getting paid. What's the difference between being paid to eliminate bad content and an LDS undercover detective rooting out and eliminating evil? Obviously he is going to be exposed to lots of wickedness. ...

Anywho..I went to my brothers house who has this service and we rented Dinner with Schmucks which I'd seen before (unedited). I couldn't believe how much was removed but at the same time it illustrated how much garbage is put into movies. What was left was mostly a coherent story and everyone enjoyed it and it was allot of fun. I would highly recommend clearplay as a service.

I would add that some might say it would be better for us to simply boycott movies with bad content in the hopes that it would encourage producers to put out more wholesome movies. Here is a news flash ..it won't. R rated movies and unwholesome movies don't make nearly as much money at the box office. Every producer knows that if he wants to make lots of money on a movie that he can get rid of the bad content and make it G or PG. So trying to affect the bottom line does little to encourage producers to put out clean movies.

I will probably purchase this player to watch Game of Thrones.

I would add that some might say it would be better for us to simply boycott movies with bad content in the hopes that it would encourage producers to put out more wholesome movies. Here is a news flash ..it won't. R rated movies and unwholesome movies don't make nearly as much money at the box office. Every producer knows that if he wants to make lots of money on a movie that he can get rid of the bad content and make it G or PG. So trying to affect the bottom line does little to encourage producers to put out clean movies.

This is not true. G and PG movies don't garner as much clientele as PG-13 or R movies. Adults without kids don't usually go to G-rated movies at the theater. It's too kiddy. But between PG-13 and R, the distinction is - if a movie is released in the summer, spring break, or christmas break, releasing it as a PG-13 movie will attract more younger viewers that will impact the bottom line. Releasing a movie as R in the other time will attract more adult viewers that will impact the bottom line. Attracting teen-agers in the middle of a school-year is not as effective. Attracting more adults in the middle of summer where a lot of them avoid the crazy teen-age crowd is not as effective.

Now, there are movies that are geared more to the teen set. For example, releasing Twilight Trilogy as an R-Rated film is going to flop big time because of its tween following. At the same time, releasing it as a G movie is going to flop as well because of the thematic elements of the story.

And there are movies that are geared for the adult set. Releasing Act of Valor as PG-13 will not matter because the target demographic for that movie is the adult set who are either contemplating of joining the military or politically supporting the military. And the R-rating gives them more freedom to match the reality of a Navy Seal.

And then there are action figures - toys. Star Wars has remained PG after the initial movie because it comes with a giant push for toys.

And then there's some stuff that you just can't accomplish under a certain rating. In the case of Star Wars, the last movie had to go to PG-13 because there was no way George Lucas can portray the final battle between Anakin and Obi-Wan under the PG rules. He tried but couldn't get it, so he risked the toys for a PG-13 rating to complete the saga. There's no way you can do the King's Speech justice under the PG-13 rating when an important element of his speech therapy was the use of a certain profanity. Avengers has to be PG-13 because you have people beating up on each other. You can't make Avengers Rated R either because, even though the comic book fans are all adults by now, the superheroes has always been a favorite of the teen set even if they didn't grow up knowing them.

Now, the interesting thing that's happening is that the industry is loosening the requirements for PG-13. You can say the F-word in a PG-13 movie now... as long as you only say it not more than twice in the entire show. You can show tons of skin now. Etc. etc.

Edited by anatess

No it is True. It's not money that motivates most producers.

Mysteries of Moviemaker Motivations - Michael Medved - Townhall Conservative Columnists

And unwholesome movies don't make as much money at the box office.

All Time Box Office Adjusted for Ticket Price Inflation

There may be exceptions, but if its about the bottom line, a sure bet is a Disney or Pixar kid movie, Comic Book based movie.

On this list of the top 200 I can only find a handful I would say were unwholesome. (ie Porkys, The Hangover, perhaps the Austin Powers movies)