Gift of the Holy Ghost

tspark

I was wondering the mormon belief is that the Gift of the Holy Spirit is only given through laying on of hands by those who have authority Right?

Could you explain what happends in these verses from the Bible:

Act 2:1 And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.

Act 2:2 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.

Act 2:3 And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.

Act 2:4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

And

Act 10:44 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.

Act 10:45 And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Act 10:46 For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter,

Act 10:47 Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?

Act 10:48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.

Thanks

In Christ

Tom

OKay, before Jesus had left them, they had already recieved the laying on of hands. The day of pentecost is when He arrived. There are many examples of the apostles carrying out this ordinance in the NT

The Holy Ghost can come upon someone BEFORE they have had the laying on of hands, but it is temporary and He leaves. When you receive the GIFT of the Holy Ghost through laying on of hands after baptism (also referred to as baptism by fire) it is permanent, as long as you stay in a way that you can hear his still, small voice.

so

Act 10:45 And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Doesn't mean they received the Gift just it was sent unto them?

In Christ

Tom

It's a truly powerful and wonderful time when the Holy Ghost manifests himself in the life of an individual! Great great stuff!!

yes i concur it a very powerful on going experience:

Rom 8:13 For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.

In Christ

Tom

When you receive the Holy Ghost through the laying on of hands, after baptism, it is permanent. Before that it is temporary. I experience the Holy Ghost telling me the truth of things before I was baptized. Now that I have been baptized and had the laying on of hands, He is with me always.

There is a lesson on this in our Gospel Principles book. It is available online at lds.org, gospel library.

When you receive the Holy Ghost through the laying on of hands, after baptism, it is permanent. Before that it is temporary. I experience the Holy Ghost telling me the truth of things before I was baptized. Now that I have been baptized and had the laying on of hands, He is with me always.

There is a lesson on this in our Gospel Principles book. It is available online at lds.org, gospel library.

cool. but what does the scripture in chapter 10 of the Book acts say to you? especially vs 45,46?

In Christ

Tom

so

Doesn't mean they received the Gift just it was sent unto them?

In Christ

Tom

Acts 10:44-48, the Prophet Joseph Smith made this comment:

There is a difference between the Holy Ghost and the gift of the Holy Ghost. Cornelius received the Holy host before he was baptized, which was the convincing power of God unto him of the truth of the gospel. But he could not receive the gift of the Holy Ghost until after he was baptized. And had he not taken this sign [or] ordinances upon him, the Holy Ghost, which convinced him of the truth of God, would have left him until he obeyed those ordinances and received the gift of the Holy Ghost by the laying on of hands, according to the order of God. (Discourse of 20 March 1842, recorded by Wilford Woodruff; WJS, 108)

Acts 10:44-48, the Prophet Joseph Smith made this comment:

There is a difference between the Holy Ghost and the gift of the Holy Ghost. Cornelius received the Holy host before he was baptized, which was the convincing power of God unto him of the truth of the gospel. But he could not receive the gift of the Holy Ghost until after he was baptized. And had he not taken this sign [or] ordinances upon him, the Holy Ghost, which convinced him of the truth of God, would have left him until he obeyed those ordinances and received the gift of the Holy Ghost by the laying on of hands, according to the order of God. (Discourse of 20 March 1842, recorded by Wilford Woodruff; WJS, 108)

Oh i see, ok thank you for that info, i was just curious, thanks again for All the help, everyone.

In Christ

Tom

The Gift of the Holy Ghost

• What is the difference between the Holy Ghost and the gift of the Holy Ghost?

The gift of the Holy Ghost is the privilege—given to people who have placed their faith in Jesus Christ, been baptized, and been confirmed as members of the Church—to receive continual guidance and inspiration from the Holy Ghost.

Joseph Smith said we believe in the gift of the Holy Ghost being enjoyed now as much as it was enjoyed in the days of the first Apostles. We believe in this gift in all its fulness, power, greatness, and glory. (See Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Joseph Smith [2007], 97–98.)

A person may be temporarily guided by the Holy Ghost without receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost (see D&C 130:23). However, this guidance will not be continuous unless the person is baptized and receives the laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost. We read in Acts 10 that the Roman soldier Cornelius received inspiration from the Holy Ghost so that he knew the gospel of Jesus Christ was true. But Cornelius did not receive the gift of the Holy Ghost until after he was baptized. The Prophet Joseph Smith taught that if Cornelius had not received baptism and the gift of the Holy Ghost, the Holy Ghost would have left him (see Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Joseph Smith, 97).

Today people who are not members of the Church learn by the power of the Holy Ghost that the Book of Mormon is true (see Moroni 10:4–5). But that initial testimony leaves them if they do not receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. They do not receive the continuing assurance that can come to those who have the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Receiving the Gift of the Holy Ghost

What must we do to receive the constant companionship of the Holy Ghost?

After people are baptized, they are confirmed members of the Church and given the gift of the Holy Ghost by the laying on of hands. The Lord said, “Whoso having faith you shall confirm in my church, by the laying on of the hands, and I will bestow the gift of the Holy Ghost upon them” (D&C 33:15).

Every worthy elder of the Church, when authorized, may give the gift of the Holy Ghost to another person. However, there is no guarantee that the person will receive inspiration and guidance from the Holy Ghost just because the elders have laid their hands on his or her head. Each person must “receive the Holy Ghost.” This means that the Holy Ghost will come to us only when we are faithful and desire help from this heavenly messenger.

To be worthy to have the help of the Holy Ghost, we must seek earnestly to obey the commandments of God. We must keep our thoughts and actions pure.

Gospel Principles Chapter 21

People may have the Holy Ghost come upon them and give them spiritual gifts, such as a testimony of Christ. It is different from the Gift of the Holy Ghost, which is conferred upon us. Occasionally, the Bible uses the same term for both instances.

Also, note on the confirmation that there is no command for the Holy Ghost to come upon us, but we are commanded to "receive the Holy Ghost." We do read in Acts that the Gift was given only by the priesthood authority, as when Simon Magus saw this was how people received the gift under Peter's hands.

Act 10:44 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.

Act 10:46 For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter,

Act 10:47 Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?

Act 10:48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.

I think others have addressed Acts 2 for you with the difference between the Holy Ghost (not tarrying) and the Gift of the Holy Ghost.

Acts 10 is more difficult. Joseph Smith taught (it's quoted earlier by hemidakota) that Cornelius had not received the Gift of the Holy Ghost, but was experiencing a manifestation of the Spirit. And yet, right there in the text they were astonished "that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost." I have not found an answer that fully satisfies me in this respect. It is one of those things for which I await further light and knowledge. In the meantime, I consider that maybe the emphasis is that they have received the gift of the Holy Ghost - that is, of all the spiritual gifts that the Holy Ghost poured out in the early period of the church, speaking in tongues was the quickest way to recognize that the Holy Ghost was present.

Something else to consider:

The translation of the Bible was done by those that may not have known the difference between the "Gift of the Holy Ghost" and a manifestation of the Holy Ghost. So in my mind, when the scriptures say "on the gentiles was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost", it could very well mean a manifestation of the Holy Ghost, or "gifts from the Holy Ghost".

I have nothing to back that up with, but was a thought I had on the subject.

I hadn't really noticed this thread until now, but I'll answer the original post. Not sure what the OP has in mind, but here we go.

The first thing you need to determine is, "Who is 'they'?" in this passage. Any student of the bible knows that chapters and verses are a modern invention, to make the Bible easier to read. In the original text, those breaks aren't there.

Acts Chapter 1

24 And they prayed, and said, Thou, Lord, which knowest the hearts of all men, shew whether of these two thou hast chosen,

25 That he may take part of this ministry and apostleship, from which Judas by transgression fell, that he might go to his own place.

26 And they gave forth their lots; and the lot fell upon Matthias; and he was numbered with the eleven apostles.

Acts Chapter 2

1 And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.

2 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.

3 And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.

4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

5 And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven.

6 Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.

7 And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans?

8 And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?

"They" appears to be the Apostles. Can't be 100% certain of that because we have a jump forward in time from the choosing of Matthias to the Day of Penticost, but it's the most likely case. So we're seeing the gifts of the Holy Spirit poured out upon Apostles. They proceed to speak to the gathering crowd. Some of the crowd were from many diverse nations and everyone hears their words in their native language. A wonderful example of the gifts of the Spirit!

This comes right after Peter's dream of the unclean beasts, where he is commanded to "kill and eat." This is a very interesting turning point in the ministry of the Apostles. Christ had already told them to go and teach all nations, but the Apostles had failed to understand. They thought they were to go to the Jews in all nations. It was very ingrained into Judaism of that day that Jews and Gentiles just weren't supposed to mix. Inspired though they were, the Apostles were unable to see past this false tradition.

The wake-up call needed to be loud and clear. So while Peter preached to them the Spirit of God fell upon the Gentiles that heard. The gift of tongues and probably other gifts were manifest.

As it relates to the Gift of the Holy Ghost -- these may not be the most compelling scriptures to use to make any claims against it. In both cases, the Apostles are present and their hearers are receiving spiritual gifts while the Apostles are present. So the Holy Ghost might be said to be present because the Apostles are present and are preaching the Gospel of Christ.

If it were an example of the Holy Ghost being manifest when there is no-one who already has the Gift of the Holy Ghost present, that would be more useful in making the point I think you're trying to make.

Having said that, I want to be very clear. We do not claim an exclusive right to the Holy Ghost. Other people in other religions feel the Spirit and through their faith they are often blessed with spiritual gifts of all sorts. The Gift of the Holy Ghost is something greater than that. It is the right to the Holy Ghost's continual presence -- contingent upon faithfulness. I am not a convert to the Church, so I can't tell you much about the difference. A former Pentacostal minister who joined the Church tells me it's the same Spirit, but taken to greater level. More constant and more powerful.

I hope that answers the question.