Baptism, blessings, etc.

JThimm88

If you watch the Sacrement meeting that is used on BYU channel every Sunday they do not begin until after the sacrement which is not shown. Sacred things do not need to be passed around.

I've watched Seminary and Sunday School videos that show the sacrament being passed. Sometime in the last year, a special Sacrament meeting was held in my meetinghouse on a Saturday morning specifically for the purpose of filming a new church video (I'm not sure if it was curriculum material, or what). It does happen, though it's with a clear purpose and with clearance from much higher up than the local bishop.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, let me see if I get this straight.

Absolutly no cameras, video or audio equipment allowed in the church chapel.....unless it's the church owned university or for curriculum purposes.....or if you sneak in a small audio recording device -- record it -- transcribe it -- then destroy the audio recording?

What part am I missing about Paleriders comments about absolutly none of these devices allowed in the Chapel?

So, obviously it's okay for BYU/TV or educational curiculum etc. but not for the local members/ward? Because of the handbook regulations/policy -- does that sound in the ballpark or am I way off?

I guess I should clarify, actually. The only real issue against audio recording the naming and blessing of a child is that it typically happens in Sacrament meeting, where we are discouraged of making recordings of any kind. If it were to happen in any other arena, there would be no issue with recording it for transcription. Such is allowed for father's blessings and other blessings of comfort and counsel.

In general, audio recordings of blessings are fine. Some exceptions are that we are asked not to make our own audio recordings of patriarchal blessings, nor of blessings where we are set apart to a calling, including to full-time missionary service.

Would a recording of a blessing be possible if the recipient is blind? I suppose it could be transcribed into braille. But, there needs to be a machine to do that.

Just curious.

Actually MOE I really was in agreement with what you just said. I just know how people are and would want to debate this.

OK, I'll bite:

The baptismal prayer is, semantically, addressed to the new convert.

Ergo: recordable?

---

Also, FWIW: both my wife, and myself, specifically remember passages of our patriarchal blessings that did not make it into the "official" transcription. She actually asked her patriarch about it and he admitted that sometimes he'll get specific ideas or perspectives about a recipient, but will actually "soften" it in the transcript.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

Also, FWIW: both my wife, and myself, specifically remember passages of our patriarchal blessings that did not make it into the "official" transcription. She actually asked her patriarch about it and he admitted that sometimes he'll get specific ideas or perspectives about a recipient, but will actually "soften" it in the transcript.

I dated a guy once whose mom remembered things from his patriarchal blessing that didn't end up in the transcript.