San Diego broadcaster apologizes for comments about BYU

pam

ksl.com - San Diego broadcaster apologizes for comments about BYU

SALT LAKE CITY -- A member of the San Diego State football broadcast team is apologizing after a hateful rant against BYU on his talk show.

Thursday afternoon, color analyst Chris Ello, who is also an early afternoon host on radio station XTRA in San Diego, said BYU has no honor, is "100 percent hypocritical," and that BYU players make racial slurs.

Bah. From what I can tell, the most inflammatory thing he said was that BYU players hurl racial epithets at their opponents. If what he said is true, then he shouldn't have to back down from it. In context, this guy seems to have been talking about the BYU team. It isn't like it's Max Hall going off on every single Ute student, alumnus, and fan out there.

Split loyalty; and if I had to break it'd be for the Cougars.

Maybe I'm just curmudgeonly tonight; but I'm not feeling like playing the "persecuted Mormon" card just because some BYU football players very probably exhibited boorish behavior, and got called on it.

Split loyalty; and if I had to break it'd be for the Cougars.

Maybe I'm just curmudgeonly tonight; but I'm not feeling like playing the "persecuted Mormon" card just because some BYU football players very probably exhibited boorish behavior, and got called on it.

You can't be curmudgeonly. Only Captain Curmudgeon can be curmudgeonly.

I think he was playing to his audience, and didn't intend for people outside their audience to hear it. I would bet his audience won't hear his apology or it will be so quick that no one notices it. SDSU has been upset with BYU ever since they announced their independence, so this rant does not surprise me at all. Even their coach ranted about it right after the announcement.

If the claims of racial epithets hold water (which would surprise me since there are many blacks and Polynesians on BYU's teams), they need to be addressed through the Athletic Directors of each team. On the other hand, I can imagine BYU receives as much trash talk as they give out. Some of that is part of the game, players trying to bait the other guy into making a mistake. I've heard of many times various black guys playing (or coaching) for BYU getting called 'token blacks'. Does that count as a racial epithet?