Well, Whynot?

Whynot

I enjoy sharing ideas and scriptures on message boards, and on another site was informed about this one, so I'm here to share and learn. I've always been the type to ask questions, so that's why 'Whynot' seemed a good 'handle' for me to use.

After a number of years of study into various Christian fellowships, I've found a kinship in that LDS seem to be the only ones who DON'T argue against keeping the commandments of Jesus - and that as we grow in doing what He taught, the process involves both increased appreciation of the gospel as preached by Jesus Christ , but also that we try to reflect Him in our lives and become more like Him. We're all a work in process - including myself:-)

I have a web site about all the teachings of Jesus. They help me keep my sanity and head screwed on straight in this upside-down world we find ourselves in today:-)

One Disciple to Another

Looking forward to meeting you all and our sharing ideas and experiences we have in our beliefs and goals in life - here and hereafter.

Maybe..... ....because you're not really here for friendly conversation?

From your website BEFORE you deleted it, sometime AFTER Oct 3, 2010:

I challange you to re-visit all the teachings of Jesus and see where He ever taught 'priesthood authority' or doing what the apostles commanded if it were not the same as what He had taught them. Either His words have not passed away or there is no reason to believe someone who claims that they have restored lost teachings of Jesus. It's your soul, but these things are prepared for you to consider. Lower on the page you can find a listing of other contradictions between the Bible, Book of Mormon, Pearl of Great Price and D&C.

The teachings of Jesus Christ in the Book of Mormon

My accounting of the teachings of Jesus was started due to various discussions with Mormons, and their Sacrament prayer says that they believe keeping the commandments of Jesus Christ is part of their covenant of the gospel. These comments are not intended to disparage their faith in Jesus, but if you compare the teachings of Jesus in the Bible to the book of Mormon you can easily note they are not the same teachings.

May God use His word to identify who really believe and obey Jesus Christ, as it is still His words of eternal life recorded in our Bible that will judge us on that day. May those found worthy of salvation truly look to Jesus and never be ashamed of His words. May we all wash ourselves in the word of God and the blood of the Lamb of God and be found to be faithful and overcomers, that we have the faith of Jesus and keep the commandents of God. May we all repent of anything amiss in our lives and any belief not founded on the rock, Jesus Christ, and His true and faithful witness.

I issue a challenge to LDS based upon your own scripture in 3 Nephi 10, .."And now whoso readeth, let him understand; he that hath the scriptures, let him search them and see,.."if" all these things are not unto the fulfilling of the prophecies of many of the holy prophets.". You have the Bible and the Book of Mormon in on hand, open your Bible and see if it is so.

I leave an open invitation for anyone to prove the testimony of the Book of Mormon is in accord to the Holy Bible. Please contact me via the link provided. If good and sound reason is given that proves my viewpoints given here are wrong, I will make that known and correct what is written here.

(A quote attributed to Grant Palmer is in place here: I don't know how to repent of the truth)

[email protected]

Can you say "Wolf in sheep's clothing"? Or can it be otherwise?

HiJolly

Edited by HiJolly
Added date at top of quote

I put that back up at the request of someone (LDS member), and I took it back down after they had ample time to review my work comparing the teachings of Jesus in the Book of Mormon to what I found in the Bible.

You could do the same comparison - anyone can. Do you disagree with my statements? If you do, then perhaps you could open up a thread on the topic. I'd rather focus on the things we have in common than fight or argue over what we don't. I may be prone to bring up teachings of Jesus from the Bible, but since you believe the Bible is also true and Scripture, we shouldn't have much contention over His commandments - do we?

No, I took it down because I have a lot of personal respect for most every Mormon I know. LDS get enough grief already for believing Jesus said we are to obey. Since I realized it, well, most Evangelicals think I'm a heretic!:-)

How about some peace instead of contention? We should have much to share.

Edited by Whynot

I put that back up at the request of someone (LDS member), and I took it back down after they had ample time to review my work comparing the teachings of Jesus in the Book of Mormon to what I found in the Bible.

I see.

You could do the same comparison - anyone can. Do you disagree with my statements?

Yes, with several of them.

If you do, then perhaps you could open up a thread on the topic. I'd rather focus on the things we have in common than fight or argue over what we don't.

I agree with that.

I may be prone to bring up teachings of Jesus from the Bible, but since you believe the Bible is also true and Scripture, we shouldn't have much contention over His commandments - do we?

Commandments? No too much, I don't suppose. Doctrine. Oy.

How about some peace instead of contention? We should have much to share.

I like the sentiment. We'll see how things go.

HiJolly

Did you think Grant Palmer was a wolf?

I read Grant's book when it came out. Checked it out from the library and read it all the way through. I don't think he sees himself as a 'wolf', yet I'm thinking that quite likely, he is a 'wolf' in a pragmatic sense.

I felt very sad that the very research that we both undertook in common, led us so far from a common conclusion. Just goes to show that 'factual' history is a bit subjective, after all.

Then again, I'm sure our personal experiences with both the Church and God Himself are quite different, and if we can't be informed by our individual experiences, then what's the use of living? We all have a right to our opinions and views, regardless of who agrees with us or not.

Nevertheless, I was deeply saddened by his writing about his drastic loss of faith. His supervisors must have been exceptionally kind and non-judgmental to keep him on with Church employment as long as they did, and this where I feel he was rather dishonest in continuing to work for the Church even after he had convinced himself that it was all a fraud.

I am glad he retained a faith in Jesus. Though I kind of wonder how he managed it.

HiJolly

Welcome. It is kind of funny as I been a Lutheran half of my life and a mormon the other half and I dont feel my faith or my Jeesus has changed at all in all those years. The only thing that has changed is my knowledge of the gospel. I have learned so much more about Jeesus Christ and everything.

Edited by Maya

Here is something I wrote a few years back, FWIW:

Personal Beliefs » HiJolly comes clean » LDS Mormon Network

HiJolly

Very interesting, and certainly as thoughtful and honest a post as I've seen in a long time.

Indeed. I was raised to think one thing and discovered the truth along the way. There is a certain comfort in immaturity in life or faith that if we are true to truth we are bound to investigate beyond our front porch. Not that we'll ever be able to know the sun, moon or stars beyond only what we see, as opposed to being there on our porch or yard or wherever we finally get to in this life. But this we know: the sun is full of light, which is reflected by the moon for us to see at night. So what color of cheese is the Moon made of?:-)

My appreciation for Jesus changed radically once I took the 'Jesus test'. We can believe a teaching is true, an event is true, that Jesus was a man who lived and died and resurrected to save my soul, but no matter of study and heart/mind faith can equal the test results that Jesus wants us to have.

He said we can know if what He taught was of God by doing what He taught - then we will know if it is truly of God or not. I would encourage anyone to take that exam. Then as you do it, you know it. There are a lot of half quote half baked doctrines in some Churches - and surely the inventions of man if they leave out key things Jesus did teach.

One example is 'You shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free!' How many times have you heard that one? and they tell you to accept whatever it is THEY want to indoctrinate you with, and if you don't accept that, well, you are not worthy! Oddly, this is a conditional teaching of Jesus; it was predicated with a practice required to achieve the thing spoken of: "IF you abide in My word, you are My disciples indeed."

I really believe that's where real Christianity is at. Totally missed by Luther, Westly, Campbell, and most everyone else I've ever read. It isn't of myself - Jesus showed it to me. It's been there all along - as all His words/doctrines/promises/precepts/prophecies have been.

That's my testimony of Jesus Christ:-) and my testimony of the Father as well, since the knowing is from the Father Himself! and Jesus told us how to do it - but it takes the active faith to do it because you believe and because you have faith and because you hear His voice in His words.

Edited by Whynot

When I log in I get this area is for members only. That's what I've always seen, and the profile button isn't there.

# Become familiar with your "My Account" page and all of its features. This is the page you are taken to when you login, and also linked at the top of every page in the link bar. This page will link you to each section of the site where you can contribute and it's also where you can go to manage all of your previous contributions.

When I log in I get this area is for members only. That's what I've always seen, and the profile button isn't there.

# Become familiar with your "My Account" page and all of its features. This is the page you are taken to when you login, and also linked at the top of every page in the link bar. This page will link you to each section of the site where you can contribute and it's also where you can go to manage all of your previous contributions.

Chances are you internet security settings might be to high for the site or your computer isn't liking the cookies....you could go into internet options and try adding the site to your safe sites and and an exception for the site into your firewall if your using one.Those ideas might help with that problem.