temple covenant

scdoyle

If an endowed member breaks any commandment, technically he's breaking his temple covenants. During the endowment, we covenant to follow all of God's commandments. So, yeah, the scenario you posit would be a violation of temple covenants.

However, you can also make the case that it isn't a violation of temple covenants as the Word of Wisdom is not explicitly given as a covenant we take upon ourselves in the temple. Usually, when people talk of temple covenants, they have in mind either the law of sacrifice, the law of the gospel, the law of chastity or the marriage covenant. (for some reason no one really worries about breaking the law of consecration).

However, you can also make the case that it isn't a violation of temple covenants as the Word of Wisdom is not explicitly given as a covenant we take upon ourselves in the temple. Usually, when people talk of temple covenants, they have in mind either the law of sacrifice, the law of the gospel, the law of chastity or the marriage covenant. (for some reason no one really worries about breaking the law of consecration).

This is my understanding. Concerning the Law of C, how can we break it if it isn't in effect at this time?

If a endowed member breaks the WoW is it considered breaking your temple covenants? I know it will keep you from getting a TR.

Reminds me of my wife complaining to me that our son & his wife were "breaking their temple covenants" when they didn't get pregnant in the first 6 months of their marriage. Good Grief! :confused::eek:

Anyway, I look at the WoW to be more of a Church "policy" than a commandment - it was added to the TR questions as a matter of policy and to my mind can be removed or replaced just as easily, as a policy change.

FWIW.

HiJolly

Anyway, I look at the WoW to be more of a Church "policy" than a commandment - it was added to the TR questions as a matter of policy and to my mind can be removed or replaced just as easily, as a policy change.

FWIW.

HiJolly

hmmm. Didn't Brigham Young "change" (can't think of a better word right now) the WoW to a commandment as opposed to just "good counsel".

hmmm. Didn't Brigham Young "change" (can't think of a better word right now) the WoW to a commandment as opposed to just "good counsel".

No. He made some steps in that direction, but it was much later (1940's?) that it was formalized as part of the temple recommend requirements.

I think I would alter HiJolly's statement a little to say that it is a commandment, but not doctrine. Commandments are prone to change from time-to-time as the Lord sees fit. That is to say, abstaining from alcohol is not an eternal principle, but something the Lord saw fit for the people in our time.

More generally still, the Word of Wisdom is a general commandment, but what we are asked to abstain from or indulge in are often matters of policy. For instance, it is not policy that caffeinated beverages violate the commandment, but over consumption would seem to be breaking the spirit of the commandment.

So there you have it...even something as common place as the Word of Wisdom can be evaluated on several levels as to what is doctrine, commandment, and policy.

This is my understanding. Concerning the Law of C, how can we break it if it isn't in effect at this time?

As was said above, it is actually in effect. We don't live in the United Order, which is the understanding of the Law of Consecration most people have (having all things in common, elimination of poverty, etc).

hmmm. Didn't Brigham Young "change" (can't think of a better word right now) the WoW to a commandment as opposed to just "good counsel"

The Word of Wisdom wasn`t commandment until shortly after the establishment of the 1st High Council in Feb. 1834. At one of the first meetings, they debated "Whether disobedience to the word of wisdom was a transgression sufficient to deprive an official member from holding an office in the church." After a long debate Joseph Smith gave the following counsel which unanimously accepted it, judging "No official member in this Church is worthy to hold an office after having the word of wisdom properly taught him; and he, the official member, neglecting to comply with and obey it."

As for when it was added to the temple recommend interview, I can't say for certain.