Salt Lake City in the winter?

dahlia

I have a 1 semester sabbatical next term and am contemplating visiting SLC. Would I be foolish to visit in the winter? Would it be better to wait until March or April? I don't mind a little cold or snow and would like to take advantage of any seasonal discounts in airfare and hotel by traveling in the winter, if it makes sense.

Are there any reputable tours for SLC and is there anything outside of town that I should see? I'd probably be by myself and think that 3 days would be enough. Long enough? Too short? I'm pretty sure I won't be able to go in the Temple, so I don't need to plan extra time for that.

Also, my father was an orphan. I have a few of his military records and know when and where he died. My parents were divorced and my mother remarried when I was young, so other than a few visits over the years, I never had the chance to learn much of his background from him.

Do you think the genealogists there could help me find any background on him? As I understand it, his upbringing was rather informal - kind of 'here, you take him' as opposed to being raised in an orphanage. I'm sure there are many people who want to use the resources there - do I need to plan this way in advance?

Thanks, Dahlia

Do you have some specific things you want to see? The family history library is amazing. That's for sure a must see especially if you want a little assistance with your own family records.

There are tours of Temple Square all year round. They are very uplifting. If you're coming during the holidays, the lights on Temple Square are wonderful to see.

There are concerts at the Conference Center and at the Tabernacle. This are free but reqire a ticket. You can get more information at: Temple Square Events

This is the Place Park is fun to visit: This is the Place Heritage Park | Salt Lake City, Utah

There are other places worth visiting if you have time. I believe Kennecott Copper mine still does tours. They are the world's largest open pit mining operation and its pretty amazing.

I agree with Pam. A trip to the Family History Library is really cool. Bring as much information as you can about your family....grandparents or great grand paretns dates of birth/death, etc. They will help you find information. I take a camera with me and take digital pictures of the things I find in the resource books. Its easier than copying the pages and costs less.

Thanksgiving Point is fun both winter or summer. It is south of Salt Lake.

Daughters of the Utah Pioneers have an amazing museum. The Clark Planetarium is worth seeing also. Both are close to downtown.

There are many cool things in the Salt Lake Valley and in downtown Salt Lake or close to it. If you venture out of the valley, there is more to see. I hope you have a great time in SLC.

They don't mind you taking photos with a digital camera? I just never thought of that. That's a great idea.

No they don't mind taking pictures in the reserach areas. I learned this trick from a distant cousin I connected with while researching my Dad's line. The new.familysearch.org site has great resources and makes it easy to connect with other people who might be working on the same line you are.

I did learn to pay more attentioin to lighting when taking picture. I have some I need to redo because the overhead florescent lighting caused a glare.

One really great benefit of the camera is that you don't have to scan and convert copies to digital format to email and share with other family members who are working on the same iinformation.

I have a 1 semester sabbatical next term and am contemplating visiting SLC. Would I be foolish to visit in the winter? Would it be better to wait until March or April? I don't mind a little cold or snow and would like to take advantage of any seasonal discounts in airfare and hotel by traveling in the winter, if it makes sense.

It makes sense. Something to keep in mind is that Southwest stops in SLC. Don't know exactly where you are flying from but I'm a believer of Southwest due to the not charging extra for bags policy.

Are there any reputable tours for SLC and is there anything outside of town that I should see? I'd probably be by myself and think that 3 days would be enough. Long enough? Too short? I'm pretty sure I won't be able to go in the Temple, so I don't need to plan extra time for that.

As mentioned Temple Square can be toured and is right next to the Family History Center and the Church History Museum (if you are interested in such things). If you go before Christmas Temple Square is all dress up with lights and the like. Later in the year (such as April) they'll have the flowers planted.

Actually if you are interested in attending Conference you might want to go the end of march and carry your trip over conference weekend. You can try to get standby but as an investigator if you went to the Bishop of the ward who's boundaries you are in and explained you wanted to go chances are he can chase down a ticket for you. Not sure if that is something you'd want to do, but it is something to consider.

Do you think the genealogists there could help me find any background on him? As I understand it, his upbringing was rather informal - kind of 'here, you take him' as opposed to being raised in an orphanage. I'm sure there are many people who want to use the resources there - do I need to plan this way in advance?

Thanks, Dahlia

They might but it wouldn't be the personal kind of stories that would probably be the most interesting. What they might be able to find for you would be stuff more along the likes of death and birth records. One thing though is if you can locate ancestors you can sometimes later discover (not in the Family History Center but on the internet for family reunions and the like) relatives who have things like old journals of Great-Great-Great-Grandfather's. My Mom has done that.

Would I be foolish to visit in the winter? Would it be better to wait until March or April? I don't mind a little cold or snow

Depends on how much cold or snow you don't mind. The problem with Utah is winter is the ski season so I don't know if there are really doing that many discounts at this time.

Honestly if you wanted to come April Conference time is a good time to come. There is a lot more Tourist around.

As much as I like the lights on Temple Square. I think Spring would be a lot more enjoyable.

dahlia, if you are really thinking of attending conference, then I suggest you get on "the list" for a conference ticket with your local ward or stake (just let the guy who lives near you know and he'll get the info on who to contact/how to get a ticket for your area). Depending on where you live, it is hard sometimes to get tickets and so I begin requesting them about 3 months in advance. If you change your mind and decide not to attend, it's alot easier to give up a ticket than try to find one at the last minute.