The Da Vinci Code

Winnie G

<div class='quotemain'>

I believe that it is fear which leads to Bashing.

If other faiths are so afraid of missionaries stealing their members, they better learn to keep them happy. Bashing to make people fear and hate is not the Lords way. :hmmm:

This is a difficult topic, because I'm not the one being taught about. On the other hand, to call all such efforts hate-mongering, bashing, etc. just seems to me to be ignoring all nuance. Also, even within the general Christian family, it is considered poor form to go about "sheep stealing." :P

Oh my Dear PC,

The Shepherd has said to us "If You Love Me, Feed My Sheep". We don't steal sheep, we feed them because they have been left hungry.

<div class='quotemain'>

Lets look at where all these different "churches" agree.......They ALL want there 10% off the top :hmmm: !!! I give my 10% and feel good about it....I don't aways give it to the a "Church" but I always give it to something that will benefit my brothers and sisters in Christ. The main reason ALL churches HATE to lose members is because it is lost $$$ :o .

I live for Christ not for Church :idea: !!

Easy to rebut: As a rule, denominational organizations do not raise up or sponsor "cult ministries." These are usually independent or non-denominational organizations. They tend to be rather small. On occasion a church may host a meeting, but's for most who do, it's a once in a decade or less event.

BTW, exactly who is this mystery element called "the church," that wants this money? Is it the members? The leadership? The national leadership? Yes, most churches want to grow, to succeed, to be fruitful in the work of the gospel. But, if measuring is done, it's usually a measure of membership, not weekly donation receipts.

It is simple and I really thought that you were smarter than this....Membership=Money....... Membership=weekly donation receipts.

Easy to rebut: As a rule, denominational organizations do not raise up or sponsor "cult ministries." These are usually independent or non-denominational organizations. They tend to be rather small. On occasion a church may host a meeting, but's for most who do, it's a once in a decade or less event.

BTW, exactly who is this mystery element called "the church," that wants this money? Is it the members? The leadership? The national leadership? Yes, most churches want to grow, to succeed, to be fruitful in the work of the gospel. But, if measuring is done, it's usually a measure of membership, not weekly donation receipts.

I agree; members who don't tithe are not excommunicated or otherwise cast out. Likewise, no church I have ever been a member of made monetary offering a condition of membership. ;)

Oh my Dear PC,

The Shepherd has said to us "If You Love Me, Feed My Sheep". We don't steal sheep, we feed them because they have been left hungry.

ROFLM (anchor) O! :lol:

Seriously, SF, you promise to serve up some of that famous green jello caserol (the kind with carrots in it???), and I'll bring our church bus full of investigators over to your ward. Within 15 minutes all my people, plus half of yours will be on the bus. Why? I'll be handing out free TUMS with the Sunday School lessons :excl::idea:

It is simple and I really thought that you were smarter than this....Membership=Money....... Membership=weekly donation receipts.

I understood what you were intimating...just find it silly. As a rule, pastors make less money that school teachers. Local church leaders (deacons, elders, shepherds, teachers, etc.) are generally volunteers. The churches (outside the LDS) with the largest giving percentages are primarily congregational in nature (money does not go to a district or national headquarters). Despite the old canard that church is a business, it's not. It's not about the money--it's about souls: reaching souls, teaching disciples, releasing spiritual harvesters.

Usually the church people who complain the most about money are the ones who give the least, imho.

I understood what you were intimating...just find it silly. As a rule, pastors make less money that school teachers. Local church leaders (deacons, elders, shepherds, teachers, etc.) are generally volunteers. The churches (outside the LDS) with the largest giving percentages are primarily congregational in nature (money does not go to a district or national headquarters). Despite the old canard that church is a business, it's not. It's not about the money--it's about souls: reaching souls, teaching disciples, releasing spiritual harvesters.

PC~ I quit a church in Portland BECAUSE of the money hungry, (must have) more money issue. I belonged to a church that gave a free Easter program every year to share the message of the death and ressurection of Christ with as many as could come to see it. We reached a lot of people who brought their families to see this program...it was a wonderus thing. We as a congragation had donations, bake sales, car washes, etc to raise money to cover the expense of the program... it was something we as a group looked forward to every year. THEN we get a new pastor who didn't think it was fair that the church gave something without receiving something in return (monetary wise). I assume that plenty of church board memebers disagreed with him on that (and let him know) because when he decided to charge each person to see the program, church members started leaving the congregation. I think 14 families, of long standing membership, took a stand and left; I don't know how many individuals walked out, I was one of them.

It was wrong to demand money from anyone who wanted to come to a service about Easter even if it was in the form of a program. That really soured my look on how much "service to others" meant to the clergy. Of course I was just a teenager, but that really made me take a look at how important it was to share the message of Christ with others.....free of charge.