Luke: Christ At The Mount Of Olives

Snow

Luke 22:39-46 is set in the context of Jesus’s prayer on the Mount of Olives just before he is betrayed and arrested. It is one of the hot debated passages by scholars. Part of the dispute involves verses 43 and 44. “And to strengthen him an angel from heaven appeared to him. He was in such agony and he prayed so fervently that his sweat became like drops of blood falling on the ground.”

Did the author of Luke write them or were they inserted by a scribe at a latter date. While they were probably not part of the original text, the matter is not completely certain.

What are the issues:

External:

The oldest and generally conceded to be the best manuscripts (Alexandrian texts) typically do not have the verses in them, so perhaps they were a scribal addition to the original but on the other hand, the verses are found is several other early witnesses and on the whole, have a broad distribution across the manuscript tradition.

Internal:

1, Luke does mention angels in other parts of his gospel, but this is the only place were the angel(s) do not speak.

2. There is a high concentration of words in the 2 verses that are found no where else in Luke.

The larger set of verses 40-46 follow a chiastic pattern - the first line corresponds to the last and the 2nd corresponds to the 2nd to last, etc:

A)Tells his diciples to pray lest they fall into temptation

b)He leaves the disciples

C) He kneels in prayer

D) The Center: He Prays "Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done." The prayer itself is bracketed by two requests that God’s will be done.

c) He rises from prayer

B ) He returns to the disciples.

A) Find the disciples asleep, He exhort them again to pray with the same words lest they fall into temptation.

If you add in the 2 disputed verses, the whole chiastic structure is destroyed.

3. Luke Passion is a story of the martyrdom, sets an example to the faithful to remain calm in the face of death and demonstrates that with prayer one can prepare to die. Add in the disputed verses and the focus of the Passion shifts Christ’s imperturbability to an agony so horrible that supernatural intervention is required to handle it.

4. The whole book of Luke show a Christ who is calm and in control, even calm enough to have an intelligent conversation with a thief while both were on the cross. Only the disputed verse portray something different.

5. Other reasons exist for scholars to question the verses...

...but those are some of the main ones. I couldn’t say what account is most accurate, the early best manuscripts, or the now better known account of the angelic intervention but he questions are interesting because other passages in the bible and other questions/doubted passages and words speak to Christ being without divine succor or support.

Did the author of Luke write them or were they inserted by a scribe at a latter date. While they were probably not part of the original text, the matter is not completely certain.

Snow presents a rather interesting example of one of those not-so-common disputed passages. Just a couple of quick thoughts on this general phenomenon:

1. The example I'm more familiar with is Mark 16 (the longer ending). In that case, the NIV, and some other modern translations, sets it off, and clearly notes that the longer reading is not found in the earlier more reliable texts. I haven't checked the Luke passage. Lesser controversies sometimes warrant footnotes.

2. This is one of the reasons I favor modern translations over the KJV. Those who favor the literalism of the KJV can find it in the NASB. However, the later translations all have the advantage of many more manuscripts that date much earlier than what was available to the KJV translation team.

3. If I wish to teach a lesson on a topic that a disputed passage relates to, I generally try to find other biblical passage that address the issue. If there are none, I'll not likely emphasize the matter (which is why I don't handle snakes or drink poison as part of my sacramental observance).

• 2 weeks later...

When you read the Bible Dictionary it mentions that Luke offers his readers a more polished account of the ministry of Jesus. He dwells extensively on Jesus teachings and his doings. Another interesting fact about Luke....he gives more stories involving women than do the other records....also his main purpose was to emphasize the Divine nature of Jesus as the only Begotten Son of God in the flesh.