Earthquake in Japan

Saldrin

This IS an LDS forum. Now to go say "I"m praying for the LDS missionaries" on the Salt Lake Tribune or New York Times websites would be stupid and out of place. I see nothing wrong with mentioning it on a forum where there is an understanding and mutual concern for missionaries. It doesn't rule out the fact that we are praying for all of Japan. It's lke talking about family members among family.

Why would that be out of place on the Salt Lake Tribune website when many of their readers are LDS?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was the same on the Ksl website when they allowed comments. And that is owned by Bonneville which is owned by the Church. No matter what, you are going to get anti LDS comments but still doesn't make it out of place.

It was the same on the Ksl website when they allowed comments. And that is owned by Bonneville which is owned by the Church. No matter what, you are going to get anti LDS comments but still doesn't make it out of place.

I guess not but you just have to expect to take more flak for being narrow minded or inappropriate or inhumane over there.

Yes, but I'm not taking it personally. I'm more concerned about perpetuating the notion (albeit false) that the church that I belong to is only self serving. Some antis will take whatever you say, run with it and blow it way out of proportion...then it gets out into the general media and then...another misperception is born. Sigh!

And I really don't like it when people say, "God protected His people" when talking about missionaries being in a zone conference 35 miles inland...

Because, it makes it sound like all the others who died are not God's people.

There, I said it too.

And I really don't like it when people say, "God protected His people" when talking about missionaries being in a zone conference 35 miles inland...

There, I said it too.

I don't know if you're referring to my post or not, but I didn't say that "God protected His people," nor did I insinuate it. I simply shared a hopeful story.

There, I said it too.

This is my thought on that. God did protect HIS people and he also chose to take some of HIS people. Everyone in the world is one of "HIS people". I've said this before. The ones that died may have been the lucky ones in many scenarios. The ones that must continue living in such dire circumstances have a very very difficult journey. I think the missionaries who were spared realize this when they say that all they want to do is get back to the Sendai mission and help those folks.

I don't know if you're referring to my post or not, but I didn't say that "God protected His people," nor did I insinuate it. I simply shared a hopeful story.

Oh no, Wing, I wasn't referring to any particular post. Just pulled some phrases here and there.

But, what triggered the thought was this:

Hearing some of the stories of the survivors is heartwrenching. But the missionaries were all accounted for, and so far all of the members have been except for two branches and a ward in the Sendai area. Reading of Bishops and RS Presidents going out and trying to find their flock speaks of the power of those offices. The Lord is overseeing and protecting His people.

I know that's not what sixpacktr meant. It's just that it is easy to get on that one-sided viewpoint that comes out insensitive to other folks. I heard it a lot in my ward during testimony meetings after 9/11. About how "God heard so and so's prayer because he was traveling at that time... or how God blessed so and so because he was home sick"... I have family that was on ground zero when it happened - none of them perished - but if one of them did, that testimony would have hurt me bad.

P.S.

On another forum I frequent, the earthquake thread was going along the lines of... "Japan has become more unChristian, therefore they got punished". Really sad that somebody would think that, let alone a slew of forum members...

P.S.

On another forum I frequent, the earthquake thread was going along the lines of... "Japan has become more unChristian, therefore they got punished". Really sad that somebody would think that, let alone a slew of forum members...

Psalms 145:20 The Lord preserveth all them that love him: but all the wicked will he destroy.

Makes you wonder.

P.S.

It is sad that people think they understand what the Lord had in mind when something happens, and that because this and this happened, then this was the reason why.

That being said, I believe the Lord will use this for the benefit of his children in Japan. That the people of Japan are a proud people is not up for discussion. I spent many years living with them, and they are a proud people. But also a very kind people that are a blast to be around. I miss living among them and working with them. But I remember the earthquake in Kobe 15 years or so ago, when it leveled that town. They had built what they felt was an 'earthquake proof' town, and then it was destroyed. I don't believe they were purposely vaunting their own ingenuity, but it seems every time man thinks he has solved the problem (the unsinkable Titanic, the city of Ammonihah, etc) he gets slapped upside the head just to humble him.

I still worry about them, but know that they will get thru this just fine. The Lord has a work for them, and in the end, this will be the lemonade needed for their salvation.

Psalms 145:20 The Lord preserveth all them that love him: but all the wicked will he destroy.

Makes you wonder.

Isn't that saying exactly what you were criticizing forum members of saying though?

And this scripture doesn't mean that those who are faithful will be preserved through all calamities and the wicked destroyed.

If you took this scripture at face value it would seem as if those in Japan didn't love God and so were destroyed.

Meaning?

Well, obviously if you die in a natural disaster (can we count disease too?) it means you don't love God. You can have even more fun if you count war.

Actually, try not to be too overly harsh. Finding a way in which the victim of a tragedy somehow earned or deserved it is a very common coping mechanism, it kinda reduces the tragedy level. If it was a judgement passed by God on unloving people (I'm not saying it was) it removes the sting of randomness or senselessness. You see a similar process with rape victims for example, it's a tragedy that you find a lot of people making comments about how she shouldn't have been alone, or lead him on, or worn that dress, or she should have screamed louder*.

* Now sometimes some degree of blame placing can be argued to be legitimate, like say a drunken juggling accident involving flaming chainsaws, but we're still using a similar process to make us feel better about the death and/or suffering involved.

Edited by Dravin

not every natural disaster is God punishing the wicked.....it's part of the world we live in. I think it's desperate arrogance to look down on others just because their nation was hit with a naturally occring event.

Furthermore, I don't care even if it's true. My duty as a child of God is to reach out in love and a genuine desire to help others recover from such horrible events, whether God smote them or not. When I feel the spirit restraining my desire to help others, then I'll back off.

Oh, and it's never done that to me yet, so think whatever you want. I'm going to do what I can to help my brothers and sisters in Japan. The rest is between them and God.

Makes you wonder.

FATHER sends rain upon the just and the unjust (Matthew 5:45). More food for thought.

I wonder... When the United States starts getting hit with great natural disasters more frequently and brings the country to its knees, will we see it as an oppurtunity to grow ZION?

My heart goes out to those who lost loved ones in the earthquake and tsunami but I worry for the world concerning the nuclear reactors incident. I don't believe the media and Japan are being honest about how bad the situation is. I mean with the spent fuel rods being stored on one of the reactor building and them possibly leaking plutonium which is the most dangerous substance known to man, amongst other things. We must pray long and hard over this situation.