switching wards?

Guest saintish

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the simplest, though not easiest, method is to move. Assuming that isn't an option I think it requires Stake Presidency approval.

It actually requires a recommendation from the stake president and bishop to the First Presidency to approve. At least technically speaking. I don't know how often that actually gets done in practice.

The first question that will come up, however, is why do you want to switch wards?

With other Christian denominations, someone could chose a different church within the denomination instead of their neighborhood church if they want to, and they don't need anybody's permission to do so. People also get to chose the time they go, as all service times are posted outside the church.

Guest saintish

the reason i want to be in a different ward is because of the situation i wrote about in this post http://www.lds.net/forums/advice-board/36857-aftermath-confession.html me and my wife would be in the same ward as the offending high counselor and we would prefer not to be. I meet with the stake president who seems to be unsympathetic to the situation, but he did say he would consider it.

With other Christian denominations, someone could chose a different church within the denomination instead of their neighborhood church if they want to, and they don't need anybody's permission to do so. People also get to chose the time they go, as all service times are posted outside the church.

In the LDS Church, we go the ward that we belong in because church goes beyond sacrament meeting.

We have Home Teaching, Visiting Teaching, Emergency Preparedness, Seminary, Activity Days, Scouts, Youth Programs, Firesides, etc. etc. etc.... all with their organizational structure following the ward/stake family.

This organization is needed in the adminstration of Priesthood authority so that the bishop of a ward only has the keys for that specific ward - he does not hold authority over members belonging in another ward. A Stake President only has keys for his specific stake membership. He does not hold keys for members outside his Stake... goes all the way up to area 70's, general authorities, up to the prophet himself.

So that, the Prophets and the 12 Apostles can give public instruction to the entire Church while the Bishop can only give public instruction to his ward.

There are a couple of things here that I think you should be aware of....you have learned a lot

When it comes time for your to be that High Councilor, you will not do what he did, you will know what confidentiality is. This has made you stronger, in knowledge, in experience, in compassion for others that might experience this kind of situation

Also, the adversary wants you to hate. He wants you to keep on hating...he wants you to stop attending...he does not want you to go to the temple and be sealed. The problem in the church is not the poeple, it is the influence that the adversary has over them, the divisions are his fault. Don't let him win.

It is hard to attend a ward where such animosity resides. Attend anyway. I know how it feels, so does the Savior. He was betrayed, too. He went anyway. Some of the very people He saved threw things at him and spat on him, stripped him naked and whipped him, paraded him through town, and hung him on a cross. He did it anyway.

What better way to be like the Savior than to forgive. Don't let anything, ANYTHING stand in between you and that temple. Don't let him or them or anyone get in the way of you and your wife being sealed in the temple. Do not let doubt, fear, pain or despair stop you.

Whenever those angry thoughts come into your head, you tell them, "I don't have time for this, I'm going to the temple." Don't depend on the care and concern from others to get you there, you hold to the iron rod. You pray on your knees, be the husband that your wife needs, be the priesthood holder that gives her a reason to believe again.

Let her look to you and say, "I know the priesthood is true, because this man lives it." No you didn't get to baptize her, or perform her confirmation, but you can go do baptisms in the temple with her. You can confirm her family members who are on the other side of the veil. You can be there with her when she gets her P. B. You can go with her to the House of the Lord and get endowments with her, and be sealed to her. You can go there with her time and again to do work for her family, baptizing each of the sisters with her standing as proxy, and standing as proxy for her male family members who have passed on. She will walk down into that water and stand next to you, look up at you and know that you are helping her to take her family with her to the Celestial kingdom. Think of her all dressed in white as you look into her face while the temple sealer is performing the sealing ordinance for you, and later for those in her family that have died. Just think about the wonderful future you two have together, maybe raising a missionary, maybe going on a mission together in your retirement.

Don't let this moment ruin it all. You have wonderful experiences ahead of you! I am excited for you! You don't have time for this...you're going to the temple!

No, see your Stake President.

As I stated earlier, and just double checked, and found that "Membership records are to be kept in the ward where the member lives. Exceptions, which should be few, require the consent of the bishops and stake president(s) involved and the approval of the Office of the First Presidency. To request an exception, the stake president(s) sends a letter to the Office of the First Presidency for approval."

As I stated earlier, and just double checked, and found that "Membership records are to be kept in the ward where the member lives. Exceptions, which should be few, require the consent of the bishops and stake president(s) involved and the approval of the Office of the First Presidency. To request an exception, the stake president(s) sends a letter to the Office of the First Presidency for approval."

I would think this would be formality, a rubber stamp. If the SP signs off, it is a done deal, IMO.

I would think this would be formality, a rubber stamp. If the SP signs off, it is a done deal, IMO.

Whether or not that's true, your statement that First Presidency approval is not required is still false. I'm open to saying that policy and practice my not be concordant, but let's at least be accurate when describing the policy.

Whether or not that's true, your statement that First Presidency approval is not required is still false. I'm open to saying that policy and practice my not be concordant, but let's at least be accurate when describing the policy.

I stated "see your Stake President", nothing more. The "no" was for begin there, as the 1st Presidency has asked that all things go through local leaders. Sorry for misunderstanding.

I agree what he did was wrong, but why let one person ruin the whole ward for you? If you go to a different ward in the stake, you will probably still have to deal with him coming to speak at that ward once in a while. Stop trying to force an apology out of him and just let him squirm by being in your presence. Maybe he will eventually realize that he really did cross a line there. There are even worse things that ward members do to each other. Look at it as an opportunity to learn forgiveness. Yes, we are even expected to forgive even when the person doesn't apologize.

I agree what he did was wrong, but why let one person ruin the whole ward for you? If you go to a different ward in the stake, you will probably still have to deal with him coming to speak at that ward once in a while. Stop trying to force an apology out of him and just let him squirm by being in your presence. Maybe he will eventually realize that he really did cross a line there. There are even worse things that ward members do to each other. Look at it as an opportunity to learn forgiveness. Yes, we are even expected to forgive even when the person doesn't apologize.

Good point, though difficult at times. But good words.

Guest saintish

I tend to agree but my wife feels very uncomfortable in his presence more so than he would and she has a bit of a temper. I would love to go to my assigned ward but im positive its better for everyone involved that we don't. whats worse is that we are on the other side of the road from the other wards boundary.

I tend to agree but my wife feels very uncomfortable in his presence more so than he would and she has a bit of a temper. I would love to go to my assigned ward but im positive its better for everyone involved that we don't. whats worse is that we are on the other side of the road from the other wards boundary.

I know one family in our ward who lives on the "other side of the road" from the boundary. They attended our ward for about 3 years before they found an apartment on "this side of the road". Their son is in our ward too, that's why they opted to go there.

So yeah, talk to your Stake President. That's probably something that can be done without a problem.

Has your wife written a letter to anyone about this? I might write one directly to him and let him know I have lost trust in priesthood leaders due to his actions rather than writing the Stake Pres. as if I'm trying to get him in trouble. I bet he feels like an idiot, but is having issues with pride and that's why he hasn't apologized. I've dealt with people like that too.

A lady in my ward was basically stalking me (she has issues). My counselor said maybe I should move, but others urged me not to let her chase me away. I decided I'm not going to avoid any place she goes. If it's something I normally wouldn't want to go to, then I don't go. If her being there is the only reason I don't want to go, then I make myself go. When I wouldn't return her calls, she went the vindictive route and tried to make trouble with an emotionally fragile woman in our ward, but thankfully she saw right through it. She was just trying to get at me in any way she could. She tried gifts, offers to pay my husband for work, a free couch, flowers on my doorstep at midnight, etc., but I just continued to ignore her. After calling me every 2 minutes one night, I couldn't take another voicemail from her, so I turned on my fax machine. That made her furious and that's when she called the lady.

It was uncomfortable for a long time, but it's gotten better as I try to focus on the non-crazy people in my ward and many of them feel my pain because she is so difficult, demanding, needy, and has no regard for anyone's personal boundaries.

Ok, so the Church is not true because one guy was a jerk?

Did your wife have a testimony of the Gospel or of the High Councilor?

I'm sorry, but there are going to be people in every situation (Church, job, school, neighborhood, etc.) that are jerks that do something wrong.

Why would you let them control your attitude and possibly even your exaltation?

Was he wrong? yes.

So what would Christ tell you to do?

Edited by mnn727

Guest saintish

Has your wife written a letter to anyone about this? I might write one directly to him and let him know I have lost trust in priesthood leaders due to his actions rather than writing the Stake Pres.

She has not, the email i wrote (posted on the other thread) I forwarded to the high counselor. My wife has had several email communication with the High counselor and every time he refuses to admit any wrong doing or any form of apology. I cant say that what my wife said was particularly nice but she does have a very short temper.

Ok, so the Church is not true because one guy was a jerk?

Did your wife have a testimony of the Gospel or of the High Councilor?

I'm sorry, but there are going to be people in every situation (Church, job, school neighborhood, etc.) that are jerks and do something wrong. Why do you let them control your attitude and possibly even your exaltation?

I never said that I dont believe the church is true but why would anyone want to be apart of an organization where someone in power treats you in such a way?

My wife a a very recent convert, I know she believes in the church and before this whole mess happened she had a very high opinion of this man. however, she has issues with trust (like a lot of us do) and this incident and how the stake presidency has handled it has caused her to lose that trust. I think we all know that trust, once lost, is very hard to regain.