Question about the Modern Prophets

Hey Everyone,

I swear I am not a troll trying to stir stuff up.

I'm just wondering if anyone could explain to me how prophets are chosen in the church currently. In the Bible God directly singles some one out and speaks to them with whatever message he wants to convey. As far as I know (I'm an investigator and not a member) even Joseph Smith was contacted by someone on God's behalf. From what I understand the makeup of the church leaders is set in a hierarchy with the prophet being the leader. So who picks the prophet?

I know this is probably going to require a long drawn out answer so links would be very much appreciated if it's easier for anyone answering.

Thanks a million!

Perhaps you missed the part Of Joseph Smith's first vision where God Himself appeared to him, accompanied by Jesus Christ. He commanded Joseph to listen to Jesus. Yes, various angels and messengers were also sent to restore certain keys and give instruction, but Jesus was heavily involved in those events. The book of scripture Doctrine and Covenants contains many of the revelations given to Joseph through and from Jesus and the Father.

As to the chain of authority, We have a Quorum of 12 Apostles, who are all called as prophets. Separate from that group is the First Presidency, consisting of the Church's leader, the Prophet, and 2 counselors. We believe that the Prophet, the First Presidency, and the 12 Apostles all receive revelation directly from Jesus Christ on how to conduct the affairs of our church. When a Prophet dies, the First Presidency is dissolved, and the members of the Presidency, if they were previously Apostles, will revert to their old positions in the Quorum of the 12. They will then convene and choose, through revelation, the next Prophet of the church. Generally, the pattern has been that the senior Apostle is the next Prophet, but that I don't believe that is set in stone.

Additionally, we believe that all church leaders, and this goes on down to each individual member, is authorized to receive revelation or inspiration from God and Jesus pertaining to their own calling or lot in life.

In addition to the revelation given to the chosen (by God) Prophet, revelation is given to the Apostles confirming the call, and each member of the church is given the gift of the Holy Ghost when they are baptized and confirmed. When sustaining our church leaders, we can pray about whether the Lord has chosen that Prophet, and we expect and answer. When I first began investigating the church I loved the apostles, but wasn't feeling very certain about the whole prophet thing. I prayed about it and read in the N.T. about how to tell a true prophet from a false one...first of all it occured to me that we were told how to tell because there would be both true and false ones...second it said to judge them by their fruits. I decided to check out the things that he had taught, then I prayed about it, really wanting to know the answer, and I got one.

The true prophet works tirelessly, travels just like in the scriptures, and guides us to be better, organizing us so that we can help each other, he does not live in a palace, or wear fancy jewelry, and he has a wife and kids, just like Moses, Abraham, and Peter.

It is true, the first communication to Joseph Smith was by God himself, not a messenger. It was when he was 14 years old. He went out into the woods near his home, seaking some quiet, he had a small home and a big family, so he decided to pray in the quiet of the woods. Here is a link to a record of the first vision of Joseph Smith Joseph Smith—History 1Â*

Not sure how I made my link look so weird, but it works, so oh well.

If you would like to get to know about the current Prophet, you can go on Lds.org and look up talks he has given by typing in his name Thomas S. Monson.

Also coming up the first weekend of April we have general conference. It is televised on the BYU channel, and on the internet. It is both Sat. and Sun. You can watch them speak live, several general authorities of the church as well as the prophet, and have a look for yourself the kind of things they say.

I wish you well on your journey.

Just to add to what JD mentioned. If the pattern continued that the senior Apostle would be the next Prophet after President Monson, that person would be Boyd K. Packer.

Hey Everyone,

I swear I am not a troll trying to stir stuff up.

I'm just wondering if anyone could explain to me how prophets are chosen in the church currently. In the Bible God directly singles some one out and speaks to them with whatever message he wants to convey. As far as I know (I'm an investigator and not a member) even Joseph Smith was contacted by someone on God's behalf. From what I understand the makeup of the church leaders is set in a hierarchy with the prophet being the leader. So who picks the prophet?

I know this is probably going to require a long drawn out answer so links would be very much appreciated if it's easier for anyone answering.

Thanks a million!

They are called as apostles by those that have the authority (currently the apostles), and generally its the eldest apostle that becomes the head apostle or prophet. FOr Joseph smith he had to be called and set an prophet by Peter James and John (who came to him). The apostles were given the authority to set apart one to be the prophet, and they do as they are inspired to as directed by revelation.

Thank you for the replies everyone! I knew it would be a better idea asking on here. Whenever I found something online about it, it was either a bunch of anti-stuff or it was legit but it was worded so confusing I couldn't really understand. Thanks for everything!

Just to add to what JD mentioned. If the pattern continued that the senior Apostle would be the next Prophet after President Monson, that person would be Boyd K. Packer.

You are correct, but looking at the two men I think President (of the Church) Monson will outlive President (of the Quorum of the Twelve) Packer.