When Did You Do Your Gender Determination?

Bini

My OB does gender determination around 20 weeks of pregnancy for better accuracy but I am told that you can find out sooner at around 16 weeks. Has anyone done a GD earlier than what is recommended and was it accurate?

20 weeks is standard. Anything before then is a hit or miss... We found out I was having a boy earlier than that but the OB put a caveat that it's not for sure even if the jewels were pretty obvious I thought.

I don't know how old I was when I realized I am a boy, but I think I was pretty young.

I almost posted a reply shortly after Bini first posted. Then I deleted it because I decided I wasn't taking it seriously and she wanted a serious answer. :)

I just can't be serious anymore ....

We did gender determination at birth. There minimal chance of a mistake.... although mistakes have been know to happen at that point.

Thanks guys.. For nothin'! JK :D

Yeh I understand that gender determination heavily relies on the skill of the tech/doctor and the angle of the baby. Even waiting until recommended week, there's a possibility of not being able to determine what gender the baby is right away but chances are better than having it done earlier on.

I am reading up on 3D ultrasounds. Is anyone familiar with these? It says that people typically do these elective ultrasounds around 25 weeks of pregnancy for clear images of what the baby will look like before it's born. It's more of a keepsake thing.. It did not mention that they use these for gender determinations. But now I'm wondering.. Maybe a 3D ultrasound will provide a better look at baby's parts than a 2D one? I'm in my 14th week now, so I can talk with my OB about this and call the 3D ultrasound company to see what they say, but I'm super interested if there's a slight chance that gender can be determined in a couple weeks from now.

On our last set of twins, we went to the OB to find out the babies genders. He ultra-sounded one then he looked at me, and will all seriousness in the world, he says "What's wrong with you, it's another girl!" I wanted to crawl away. But then the other one was a boy so he wasn't so mad at me.

His bedside manner has a lot to be desired, but he is the absolute, #1 best OB for high-risk pregnancies. Matter of fact, all he deals with is extremely high-risk pregnancies. Other OB's sent their patients to him if there are overwhelming difficulties. So he's allowed.

I had to go in for some spotting at the end of 19 weeks, so I technically found out then. However, the ultrasound tech. double checked (though she said she had only been wrong 3 times in the 5 years she'd been doing her job) 4 days later at my official 20 week appointment... baby's gender hadn't changed, we still wound up with a girl. :)

I'm just getting anxious to know! And then yesterday, I had a moment where I was questioning if I really wanted to know or not. I'm in my 15th week of pregnancy now and I'm so very tempted to get an elective ultrasound (3D) for a gender determination. It's not too costly from what I'm understanding. Without the full keepsake package, you can do one ultrasound for about $50-$100. I'll keep you guys posted if I decide to do this in the next week or so :]

At birth I will find out. Maybe a month away for me. I don't do scans so I am very happy to wait.

It's a personal decision. I know that some women are concerned about getting them done. I've had this very discussion with my OB and she has said that an ultrasound will not hurt the baby. So I'm not against the routine ultrasounds that are done during gestation. But less than a month away for you? Wow, how exciting!

Update

Hubby and I did an elective ultrasound last night and despite my strong "motherly intuition" that convinced me it was definitely hands-down-a-boy, we learned at 17 weeks that we're actually having a girl :] Yay!!!

Congrats, Bini! While I'm sure a boy would have been great (in fact, we're hoping for one next), little girls are such a blast! ...Especially if you like dressing them up in pink. I do. My poor husband, lol. He's outnumbered at the moment and our house is full of girly stuff now.

^

To be honest, not only was my hunch it was going to be a boy, I was really leaning towards wanting a boy over a girl. Haha. But now that the situation has changed, I'm stoked about being on team Pink! And yes, my husband will be outnumbered as well. I'd love to have one of each though, so my next pregnancy, fingers crossed that we swing Blue! ;)

Guest mormonmusic

It was only last year that I figured out I was a boy. It had been bothering me for several decades. I recommend doing it sooner. 16 weeks sounds like a good number. I waited too long.

I don't know how old I was when I realized I am a boy, but I think I was pretty young.

It was only last year that I figured out I was a boy. It had been bothering me for several decades. I recommend doing it sooner. 16 weeks sounds like a good number. I waited too long.

As soon as I looked down, I knew I was a boy. Kinda obvious.

You all think you're sooooo funny.

NOT TEAM PINK!!!!!!!!!!! NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!!

I mean, c'mon... look at all the princess dresses! They're not all pink...

I like the wisteria lavender, canary blue, and canary yellow better than pink!

Girls are cool! They like shopping! :D

NOT TEAM PINK!!!!!!!!!!! NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!!

I mean, c'mon... look at all the princess dresses! They're not all pink...

I like the wisteria lavender, canary blue, and canary yellow better than pink!

Girls are cool! They like shopping! :D

I love canary yellow!!!

Baby girl, let's see, what to expect...

Posted Image

Ah yes, constant conflict with mama with all the love going to daddy thus getting mama all mad at daddy for not sharing when it's not daddy's fault. Yup, I remember those days quite well ^_^^_^

Well, I kind of, sort of, knew deep down that this baby was gonna be a girl.. It'll be payback for the heck I unleashed upon my parents as a little girl. In fact, it's a big family joke now because everyone can't wait until my baby girl gets a bit older and the "sass" comes out. I guess it's true, what goes around, eventually comes around!