The priesthood-annointings.

lizzy16

So, today in Young Womens we talked about the priesthood and anointing.

Correct me if I'm wrong...

elders and up (Melchizedek) do annointings and seal the annointings.

The anointing happens with the oil. Then a blessing to seal the annointing.

The 1st counselor was there and said usually they only did these type of blessings if someone was ill. Usually. What are the unusually circumstances?

So, today in Young Womens we talked about the priesthood and anointing.

Correct me if I'm wrong...

elders and up (Melchizedek) do annointings and seal the annointings.

The anointing happens with the oil. Then a blessing to seal the annointing.

That's right.

The 1st counselor was there and said usually they only did these type of blessings if someone was ill. Usually. What are the unusually circumstances?

Anointings are good for any affliction, be it physical, spiritual, emotional or psychological. Evil spirits, too.

Basically if you ask for a blessing with oil, you should not be refused unless it's for some non-medically necessary weight loss or something equally frivolous.

HiJolly

Fathers often give their children blessings when they're about to start a new school year. I've had them when I was having a hard time in my marriage. Cool thing about then, I had two blessings, by different people. Both blessings had large parts that were the same exact words and wording. Talk about inspired.

Fathers often give their children blessings when they're about to start a new school year. I've had them when I was having a hard time in my marriage. Cool thing about then, I had two blessings, by different people. Both blessings had large parts that were the same exact words and wording. Talk about inspired.

Father's blessings do not usually involve the use of consecrated oil.

Additionally, anointing with consecrated oil does not need to be re-performed if done for the same affliction. One anointing is generally sufficient for that specific malady or episode, even if days or weeks have passed between blessings.

I had my brother and brother in law give me a blessing when I was getting ready to interview for a really big job over a year ago. Those kinds of blessings don't require annointing with oil.

I had my brother and brother in law give me a blessing when I was getting ready to interview for a really big job over a year ago. Those kinds of blessings don't require annointing with oil.

You are probably aware of this, but the following comment is for the peanut gallery: One can give someone a blessing for illness without anointing them. Also, while preferably done with one Elder anointing and one Elder sealing the anointing (with other elder(s) laying hands on as well) both can be performed by the same Elder if necessary.

Edited by Dravin

Additionally, anointing with consecrated oil does not need to be re-performed if done for the same affliction. One anointing is generally sufficient for that specific malady or episode, even if days or weeks have passed between blessings.

I'm a slow learner:P Technically though, one blessing was for me dealing with me, and one for me dealing with my husband, if that makes sense. Yes though, exact words do kind of say 'hello, we've already done this', I needed the reminder though.

I'm a slow learner:P Technically though, one blessing was for me dealing with me, and one for me dealing with my husband, if that makes sense. Yes though, exact words do kind of say 'hello, we've already done this', I needed the reminder though.

Well, additional blessings may occur as needed or wanted, but an anointing is only needed once for that incident.