Funeral Potatoes and Wikipedia?

slamjet

I detest most funeral potatoes I've tried. It's just a giant scoop of bland richness. Maybe if one toned down the richness (I've seen recipe that call for cheddar*, cream of X soup, and sour cream) and upped the flavor it could be made palatable though.

* Never anything stronger than medium cheddar.

I read it and count myself lucky to have not had the pleasure of trying them. SoCal's must have an aversion for the stuff.

Well California has happy cows and if they ever found out what their products were contributing too they'd quickly become unhappy cows.

I mean, I'm still trying to picture it: Someone passes on, you have the services, lot's of family and friends from all over are hungry, Relief Society makes them all lunch to support them in their time of loss, and out comes this:

Posted Image

complete with corn flakes. I dunno, it seems... wait for it... CHEEZY to me!

But who am I to say.

Yea, but do you stuff it full of sour cream, cheese and frozen veggies where the potatoes become the afterthought? At least that's what it looks like to me.

I think the only veggies I've seen in funeral potatoes were when the cook accidentally grabbed cream of celery instead of cream of mushroom.

I do believe I vurped a little.

Though it's not like throwing in a 16oz bag of frozen veggies is really going to help the standard construction. Personally I'd like to see a lot less 'cream' and some sharper cheese* (and flavors such as maybe diced jalepenos or some such). It's meant as a side dish (an obvious starch) so the lack of veggies doesn't faze me any more so than mashed potatoes or potatoes au gratin without veggies. Unless one puts ham in it, then it tends to be treated like a main dish.

*This gives the benefit of cheese flavor without so much richness.

Ok, the only way I know how to make any kind of cheesy potatoes is this:

Mix all together:

- Frozen cube-type hash browns to taste

- 16 oz tub of sour cream

- 1 can cream of mushroom

- 1 can cream of chicken

- Sharp cheddar cheese to taste

- Optional: 1 - 3 green onions chopped

Mix it all together, put in baking dish, cover with cheese, cook on 350 deg covered for minimum 45 min. depending on dish type and amount of glop. Cook uncovered for another 10 - 15 min to brown top.

At least that's how I cook it every Thanksgiving.

Ok, the only way I know how to make any kind of cheesy potatoes is this:

Mix all together:

- Frozen cube-type hash browns to taste

- 16 oz tub of sour cream

- 1 can cream of mushroom

- 1 can cream of chicken

- Sharp cheddar cheese to taste

- Optional: 1 - 3 green onions chopped

Mix it all together, put in baking dish, cover with cheese, cook on 350 deg covered for minimum 45 min. depending on dish type and amount of glop. Cook uncovered for another 10 - 15 min to brown top.

At least that's how I cook it every Thanksgiving.

rofl!!!:wow::roflmbo:

you did it without peeling a single potato!!! Isn't that cheating?

It sounds really yummy though

Are you kidding me? Who peels potatoes? Two bags of hash browns. Done.

I'm with you there on peeling potatoes - cube hashbrown aka Southern Style is what I use when I make potato salad. Boil the potatoes until just hot through, add hard cooked chopped eggs, chopped onions, chopped celery, chopped dill pickles. Sauce= Miracle whip, season salt, yellow mustard, Mrs. Dash. Lots and lots of sauce.

I love Funeral potatoes too- like them with cubed ham, sour cream and cream of mushroom soup. Lots and lots of onions, celery, season salt and Mrs. Dash. I don't like crunchy anything on top.