This may be too light for this section but...

Sick husbands.

What is the best way to handle them?

My husband has apparently been sick since yesterday (due to school schedules, distance, gas money, and whatnot he spends a couple of nights a week away from me, and last night was one of those).

I hate to stereotype, but I am sort of expecting the big sick baby thing I often here of.

Advice?

Yes. Please treat us like sick babies who need hugs from their mommies. We tend to be very appreciative. Just make sure that we understand that only men get the benefits of being married. That way we will pull ourselves out of it when we feel better.

That's what I thought!

Even women appreciate some special attention when feeling sick. I'm generally a healthy person, so when I get sick, I hate it!! I hate being all stuffy, unable to breath, and achy!! When my husband is truly sick (not allergies), he does tend to be a bit of a baby. I don't mind doing the nurturing "thing" for him. But there is a limit. But, my husband also nurtures me when I'm sick. I'd probably feel a little resentful if it was all one-sided.

Guest mormonmusic

The solution here is simple:

Cater to his every whim.

It's the only way to keep the marriage stable.

Backroads -- You asked for advice before marriage, well, I DIDN'T TELL YOU EVERYTHING. MOOAH-HA-HA-HA-AH!!!! (makes evil laugh).

Hah!

When my husband gets sick, the entire household become nurse maids! It is absolutely terrible. He can't handle sick very well. Good thing he rarely gets sick!

When I get sick, my husband asks me - "Do you need to go the hospital?", I say... "No..." and he says... "okay, just stay home while the kids and I go to the beach..." :(

Treat every cold as if it were terminal and you will be fine.

When my husband caught the cold that had me feeling miserable for a week, he actually said these words, “You must not have been as sick as I am. If you felt as horrible as I do, you would have complained.”

Edited by seeking_peace
grammer

The solution here is simple:

Cater to his every whim.

It's the only way to keep the marriage stable.

Backroads -- You asked for advice before marriage, well, I DIDN'T TELL YOU EVERYTHING. MOOAH-HA-HA-HA-AH!!!! (makes evil laugh).

NOOOO!!!! you betrayed me!!!

So I went to my cooking class last night after work, during which my phone died (I have to charge my phone every single day). I get home and find him huddle on the bed under a blanket looking miserable and rambling about how I didn't call him and how he thought I was dead and how I ignored him and how sick he felt and how he felt dizzy and how he had only eaten a Jamba Juice (yes, I brought him back soup)., etc, etc.

So I went to my cooking class last night after work, during which my phone died (I have to charge my phone every single day). I get home and find him huddle on the bed under a blanket looking miserable and rambling about how I didn't call him and how he thought I was dead and how I ignored him and how sick he felt and how he felt dizzy and how he had only eaten a Jamba Juice (yes, I brought him back soup)., etc, etc.

That's IT? You got off EASY!

:)

Guest mormonmusic
Hidden

Please tell your husband that he is a a beacon of strength and grace to other men. I wish we were all as strong as he! Each man should try to learn from his example.

Yay Mr. Backroads for being such a trooper!!

• 2 weeks later...

Realize that he may seem like a baby because you don't feel what he does.

Realize that when you are sick or emotional or upset, he may have to be a lot more tolerant than you have noticed, because at that moment he doesn't feel what you do.

Pretty much universal truth is that one of the worst things for a marriage is when either spouse stops being on the other spouse's team... so remember that if he is sick you (as a couple) are sick.

This could sound preachier than I intended it, which was just to be in the abstract.

Be strong, patient, and tolerant, and you may find that he is all the more so next time you need it.

RW