What if Joseph Smith and/or Brigham Young were alive today?

apexviper13

How do you think they'd feel about the members of the church? I know there's quite a bit that break the Word of Wisdom, Law of Chastity, etc. People in my ward break both of those religious laws of ours and still members and partake of the sacrament while it used to be if you did those things you were excommunicated. To be honest, if most people are like how they are in the ward I go to I think Joseph and Brigham would be disappointed. Again, how do you think they'd feel about the members as a whole?

I think they would both realize and know that members are not perfect. I think they would know that members are doing they best they can. I also think they would be sooo impressed and so proud of the effort to have the gospel spread to all parts of the world. Probably more than astounded at the number of temples on the earth today. I think they would be more thrilled and pleased than they would be disappointed.

I think they would both realize and know that members are not perfect. I think they would know that members are doing they best they can. I also think they would be sooo impressed and so proud of the effort to have the gospel spread to all parts of the world. Probably more than astounded at the number of temples on the earth today. I think they would be more thrilled and pleased than they would be disappointed.

Don't get me wrong, the church as a whole is great. It was established by Jesus Christ so it has to be. :D I just wonder how he'd feel about those that don't follow the gospel yet are members.

Don't get me wrong, the church as a whole is great. It was established by Jesus Christ so it has to be. :D I just wonder how he'd feel about those that don't follow the gospel yet are members.

Probably the same he did about those of his own time.

I am fairly certain JS and BY would feel much better today than they did when they were alive. I think it was a much bigger disappointment for Joseph to see Oliver Cowdery fall away from the church than he would at any of the non-gospel-following members of the church you have mentioned combined.

At the heart of Joseph's life as the prophet of the church is the mistakes he made that even caused him to be rebuked by Jesus Christ. He knows for a fact how difficult it is to remain in the strait and narrow path. Who else can have a better understanding of what each of the members of the church who are struggling to follow the gospel is going through than somebody who has seen God the Father and God the Son and still commits grievous errors in judgement - one of which caused us to lose the first book in the Book of Mormon?

So yes, I agree with Pam. He would be very pleased to see the church today.

I think they'd both be ecstatic at how phenomenally successful the Church is, with no end to its growth in sight.

Elphaba

ETA: Sorry, I just re-read your post and see you were talking about individual members, not the Church as a whole.

I think they would be amazed at how easy the members have it today. I don't mean that as a put-down to current members, but very few experience any actual persecution, which was definitely not the case in their day.

Elphaba

Edited by Elphaba

How do you think they'd feel about the members of the church? I know there's quite a bit that break the Word of Wisdom, Law of Chastity, etc. People in my ward break both of those religious laws of ours and still members and partake of the sacrament while it used to be if you did those things you were excommunicated. To be honest, if most people are like how they are in the ward I go to I think Joseph and Brigham would be disappointed. Again, how do you think they'd feel about the members as a whole?

As they did in their days; Joseph taught them correct principles and let them govern themselves.

I think they'd both be ecstatic at how phenomenally successful the Church is, with no end to its growth in sight.

Elphaba

ETA: Sorry, I just re-read your post and see you were talking about individual members, not the Church as a whole.

I think they would be amazed at how easy the members have it today. I don't mean that as a put-down to current members, but very few experience any actual persecution, which was definitely not the case in their day.

Elphaba

Yet it's individual members that make up the Church as a whole. The two pretty much go together.

no idea. I don't see them as behaving any different than they did in life.

I would bet they both saw the "movie" and have an idea of what today looks like, just as Moroni, Nephi, Mormon, Moses, Abraham, Etc all do. What may be a surprise to them is the acceleration of events that the world is going through and the amount of information that can be transmitted and shared in such a very, very short period of time.

I think they would both understand the amount of opposition to the church would be almost equal to it's strength, but I would hope they are be pleased with the strength and direction of the Church as a whole.

So yes, I agree with Pam. He would be very pleased to see the church today.

Because all is well in Zion, eh? ;-)

I think Joseph gives us a hint of what he might think in TotPJS pg. 393-4. There he speaks of a dream where he returned to a farm that was his inheritance, which had become run-down in his absence. Some very disagreeable people came and claimed it was theirs, which led to violence. I think there's some very interesting symbology there worth pondering.

Edited by gruden