How Can Someone Who Lives In Insane Luxury...

Lindy

How Can Someone Who Lives in Insane Luxury Be a Star in Today's World?

Ben Stein wrote an article about how he felt about what a hero is to him.... and Yes, I had it checked out for authenticity :)

Here is the full article he wrote for the column....

http://www.eonline.com/Gossip/Morton/Archi...003/031220.html

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What excellent points he makes! I get so fed up whenever I hear all the hub-bub about 'stars', like what Angelina and Brad's baby looks like, etc. Who cares?

As far as soldiers being heroes, I totally agree. When my son talks about superheroes like the Hulk, Spiderman, and the like, I am quick to remind him that those are fun but they are fictional. I tell him that the real heroes are soldiers, police, firemen, teachers, etc.

What excellent points he makes! I get so fed up whenever I hear all the hub-bub about 'stars', like what Angelina and Brad's baby looks like, etc. Who cares?

I do! I bought the Peoples magazine. She's an adorable baby and most are - I was curious. I haven't read the article above but I would say Ms. Jolie is a true philanthropist. It is possible that people's obsessions with other people can produce good things.

M.

I get more then out of joint when it comes to Hollywood gossip and “Oh aren’t they wonderful” !

It is none of our business as to who is with whom and who’s baby.

Like Ben Stern, I could care less.

I try to remember the unsung hero’s and I have always taken steps to show my children as they grow up who the real hero’s are in life.

We attended Remberence Day every year (November 11) even though it meant dressing them up in heavy snowsuits and standing in the bitter cold.

As the years passed my children witnessed their mother and new step-father place a wreaths in their grandfathers name at the war memorial each year after that.

That day each year gave my children the opportunity to met veterans and ask questions.

Ill never forget taking them to watch their father march in the Freedom of the City parade to commemorate the gift of freedom of that city by the veterans of the wars fought.

My youngest two nine and seven met an old very active veteran with a chest full of medals that day. They asked him what each one was for and his answers were humble.

I remember most was his eyes and how you could see how his hart felt when remembering his lost friends. My children asked him how old his was when he joined the service, he lied about his age and joined at 15. They looked up at me and said “Grandpa lied too didn’t he mom”. He then asked them about their grandfather, when they said he died during Vietnam. This soldier gave each one of my children a hug that their grandfather would have given them and then he hugged me for the longest time.

Each of my adult children has observed Remberence Day since their youth. This family tradition has now been passed on to my nine-year-old grandson.

In addition, when they were young an amazing man Rick Hansen known more by his Man In Motion World Tour Rick Hansen achieved what was thought was an impossible goal. From his wheelchair he wheeled around the world it took him two years +, taking Rick and his team over rugged mountain ranges, through scorching deserts, freezing snow, torrential rains and powerful headwinds.

In August 1986, Rick and his team arrived in Cape Spear, Newfoundland, and began their journey home to Vancouver. Thousands came out in support Rick’s dream and donated millions of dollars to the Man In Motion Legacy Fund for spinal cord injury. I took my children to the big stadium in Edmonton to welcome Rick Hansen to Edmonton. After a presentation of what the man in motion tour was doing we could see him on the big screen as he arrived coming down the street in his wheelchair as the music rose this amazing young man entered the stadium to the roar of the thousands of people there. One of my children said he felt so proud to be Canadian.

It is all the unsung hero’s who work day in and day out to serve others that are the real hero’s.

BTW I have family who works in Hollywood, NBC studio as a producer. From my experience of what it takes to live the Hollywood life, I rather not.

Working six days a week to work 10-hour days. They spend a good part of their income to make income. It all boils down to regular people doing a different job.

I once during a visit to the commissary at NBC studio I ended up playing hockey with one of the stars over a cherry tomato at the salad bar both of us were trying to get on our plate. Some women walked up to him and did the whole fan routine. (I have watched you for years….) after she walked away, I smiled and said, “You do have an interesting job” he said, “It pays the bills”. It does just that.

When it comes to Hollywood stars my only feeling is that they should set better examples for the money they are paid. They own us that much.

Yeah but so is my co-worker, and countless other people in my life... they don't get the publicity though. Angelina is no better than anyone in my circle of friends. She gives more money because she has more to give.

That's true, but because she is in the public eye she has the ability to bring attention to the places that really need this humanitarian service - with great power comes great responsibility! :)

M.

Guest Monica

Barf for Brangelina. They are not heroes at all. A bisexual home wrecker who broke a marriage and then had an illigitamate child. Now isnt that special! Some people think brangelina is sooooo good, because of the charity work and trips and adoption of orphans. Its just a smoke screen.

Another one is Paris Hilton. I wont stay at the Hilton anymore. She has dragged her family name in the mud and brought dishonor to it.

Brittany Spears is another mess. Getting married for a few days then divorcing, because it seemed like the fun thing to do at the time. She later married another man who already had a child with another woman. Like wise she ended up in the same predicament as the woman she stole him from.

The bottom line is that these "stars" are stars of the world. They are well recieved by the world because they are of the world. All they do is teach others how to disobey the commandments of God. These just give bad examples for our youth and make it seem like sinning is OK. Its bad enough that they are sinning, but worse when others celebrate their sin and condone it.

Rom 1:29 Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers 30 Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, 31 Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful: 32 Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.

What really irks me is how much time is wasted on these wicked ones when the real news can be reported.

Jhn 15:19 If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you.

What really irks me is how much time is wasted on these wicked ones when the real news can be reported.

Monica, did it irk you that you spent so much time posting about those wicked ones? He who is without sin...I'm sure you know the rest. :P

M.

Guest Monica

quote]

Monica, did it irk you that you spent so much time posting about those wicked ones? He who is without sin...I'm sure you know the rest. :P

M.

I am so glad the "he who is without sin" issue/excuse for condoning bad behavior, has come up. Its a verse that is often misquoted by many.

Lets look at the passage in context.

Jhn 8:2 And early in the morning he came again into the temple, and all the people came unto him; and he sat down, and taught them. 3 And the scribes and Pharisees brought unto him a woman taken in adultery; and when they had set her in the midst, 4 They say unto him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act. 5 Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou? 6 This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with [his] finger wrote on the ground, [as though he heard them not]. 7 So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her. 8 And again he stooped down, and wrote on the ground. 9 And they which heard [it], being convicted by [their own] conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, [even] unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst. 10 When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee? 11 She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.

If we read carefully we see that the reason why the woman is brought before Jesus is not for justice, but as a trick question to trap Jesus with. The key is to look and see if, what they said about the law of moses is true.

This is what the law of moses says:

Deu 22:22 If a man be found lying with a woman married to an husband, then they shall both of them die, [both] the man that lay with the woman, and the woman: so shalt thou put away evil from Israel.

This is what Jesus wrote the first time.

Now we see that only one was brought.

Jesus writes again.

Deu 4:2 Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish [ought] from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you.

They had lied when they said the law of moses commanded she be stoned because the man wasn't brought as well. That is why the older ones left first. The elders knew what the law of moses said better than anyone else.

Their lie as well was a sin.

Finally, Jesus can't condemn or stone her technically by the letter of the law, since, He neither saw the act, nor had the man there. However, Jesus knows she has sinned and tells her to "go, and sin no more. "

B)

^Okay then Monica, will Matthew 7:1-3 do instead:

"Do not judge so that you will not be judged. For by the standard you judge you will be judged, and the measure you use will be the measure you receive. Why do you see the speck in your brother's eye, but fail to see the beam of wood in your own?..."

How can you possibly judge people you don't even know. Sure it's great to tease and make fun of them but to say that their evil when you don't even know them is not really fair. Are you sure that their sin is greater than your own?

M.

Guest Monica

^Okay then Monica, will Matthew 7:1-3 do instead:

"Do not judge so that you will not be judged. For by the standard you judge you will be judged, and the measure you use will be the measure you receive. Why do you see the speck in your brother's eye, but fail to see the beam of wood in your own?..."

How can you possibly judge people you don't even know. Sure it's great to tease and make fun of them but to say that their evil when you don't even know them is not really fair. Are you sure that their sin is greater than your own?

M.

Ok lets look at this verse as well.

The word judge in matt 7:1-3 is krino {kree'-no} from the Greek and it means to make a rash judgement.

In the case of brangelina I discerned that this isnt a good thing to celebrate.

Discern comes from the greek diakrisis {dee-ak'-ree-sis} which means to distinguish.

So many confuse the two, because they dont know what the scriptures say about good and evil.

1Cr 6:2 Do ye not know that the saints shall judge the world? and if the world shall be judged by you, are ye unworthy to judge the smallest matters? 3 Know ye not that we shall judge angels? how much more things that pertain to this life?

Now these stars mentioned DO NOT in anyway edify people in the ways of God.

Hbr 13:4 Marriage [is] honourable in all, and the bed undefiled: but whoremongers and adulterers God will judge.

Instead of oohing and ahhing and celebrating these sins, we need to speak out against them so that those who are not familiar with the ways of God, will not be lead stray. There is such moral decay in our society these days and these "star examples" makes it seem like sin is normal, ok, and permissable.

Christ Himself was able to discern that the woman in john 8 had sinned, that is why He said. "go and sin no more," as opposed to "have a nice day and see ya!"

Barf for Brangelina. They are not heroes at all. A bisexual home wrecker who broke a marriage and then had an illigitamate child. Now isnt that special! Some people think brangelina is sooooo good, because of the charity work and trips and adoption of orphans. Its just a smoke screen.

Rather than seeing an unrepentent sinner, maybe we should see a soul trying to find purpose. The Apostle Paul's address concerning the "altar to the Unknown God" comes to mind. Jesus tended to condemn self-righteous religious hypocrites/leaders, and show incredible mercy to secular sinners (or those sincerely caught up in false religion). I don't see Angelina pretending to be a spiritual leader, so maybe a little charity and sweetness, rather than fire brimstone???

Another one is Paris Hilton. I wont stay at the Hilton anymore. She has dragged her family name in the mud and brought dishonor to it.

I don't usually check the religious practices of business owners prior to patronage, unless I get a reference in church. :dontknow:

Brittany Spears is another mess. Getting married for a few days then divorcing, because it seemed like the fun thing to do at the time. She later married another man who already had a child with another woman. Like wise she ended up in the same predicament as the woman she stole him from.

She used to claim Kaballah, but now says her child is her religion. So, once again, no pretense, no hypocrisy. Patience and gospel example is what Christians owe her.

The bottom line is that these "stars" are stars of the world. They are well recieved by the world because they are of the world. All they do is teach others how to disobey the commandments of God. These just give bad examples for our youth and make it seem like sinning is OK. Its bad enough that they are sinning, but worse when others celebrate their sin and condone it.

Such stars don't need our condemnation, but our love and gospel example. They are "of the world." So, ours is to show them a better way. :idea:

So, read and watch more substantial news sources.

Ok.... now I have to add my two cents...

I agree that the hype on the celebrities is wrong.... they are people who try to have a normal life here and there and can't. But, I don't think it is healthy to condone the behavior of these people who think they can do what ever they want becasue of their status.

Such stars don't need our condemnation, but our love and gospel example. They are "of the world." So, ours is to show them a better way.

But PC... ours is not to show support for what they do that we view as wrong. Monica is right (IMHO) to say that they are making it seem that sinning is OK... and I think that the media and society glorifies their lives and their sins by capitalizing on it. That is why so many tabloids sell. It IS sad that our youth have these type of people to look up too, but then we have to take the the time to explain to our children why they are not they type of example we want them looking up to.. Hard when some kids don't see beyond the pomp and circumstance.....

It is our individual right to show support for them or not. I choose not. There are some movies I won't see because I'm not impressed with the lifestyle of the star, same as I wouldn't spend the money to support a story line I don't like, or a type of movie I don't like.

M~ I understand that you are seeing the good in whats her name.... that's commendable of you.... I hope you don't take offense that I don't like the hoopla surrounding some of the "stars" I think that everyone has their own ideas of what is right and what is not. To each his own view.

Rather than seeing an unrepentent sinner, maybe we should see a soul trying to find purpose. The Apostle Paul's address concerning the "altar to the Unknown God" comes to mind. Jesus tended to condemn self-righteous religious hypocrites/leaders, and show incredible mercy to secular sinners (or those sincerely caught up in false religion). I don't see Angelina pretending to be a spiritual leader, so maybe a little charity and sweetness, rather than fire brimstone???

Why should we follow the unrepentant behavior of someone period?

Brittany Spears is another mess

Yes, I will agree... sometimes things happen when one falls for the "bad boys" believing that things can work out. I'm not a big BS fan..... but I understand her wanting to find love and some happiness in this world... She deserves happiness like everyone else. Sad that she can't try to find it without being front page news.

But Lindy - Why assume that because, let's say a couple (2 actors) have a had a baby out of wedlock, that that means that couple is wicked? Why even care that that is their choice to not marry but have a family. How does their marital/family status effect you and your choices. Why not just be a little in-different to the things you don't agree with and maybe interested in the things you do agree with. Mankind is not all good or all bad, we are complex beings, there is a lot of grey area into being human.

And when it comes to being an example, isn't that what parents (whether legally married or not) are for? If I have admiration for a particular well-known person it's usually because of what they've done that I can relate to. Take for example Ms. Jolie - when she first adopted her 2nd child, pictures had been taken of the baby and she didn't look like the happiest baby at the time - due to health problems. Fast forward to 6 months later and that baby is the happiest and cutiest you could ever hope to see, which tells me that Ms. Jolie was doing a great job being a loving parent. I admire good parenting skills, I can relate to good parenting skills, so therefore I admire Ms. Jolie for being an excellent parent, IMO.

M.

I think the matter being confused here is stars verses heroes. You read books like The Greatest Generation and Wisdom of Our Fathers and you have real life tales of heroes. Stars are celebrities who are in the public eye for entertaining on stage or screen or through song or being able to hit a ball or being a jerk on a reality show.

These celebrities fascinate us and we are enthralled because, like good cows, we believe the grass is greener on the other side. Nothing wrong with that as long as it does not become idolatry.

Are celebrities and wealthy people able to do good? Yep! Are the unsaved and unrepentant able to do good works? Yep! Are Christians able to be selfish, judgemental, and do nothing for the greater good? Yep!

Angelina Jolie is the best thing to happen to UNICEF since Audrey Hepburn and to criticize her good deeds by casting the stone of out of wedlock motherhood and a sinful life is myopic.

President Jimmy Carter was the most ineffective President in my lifetime, but his work in Habitat for Humanity is amazing. Bill Gates has reprehensible business practices, but no one can deny the effectiveness and genuine nature of the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.

We should applaud that which does good for the world and love those who do not do as well as they could morally.

Guest Monica

This is for all who seem to want to sweep the immorality under the rug and act as if its no big deal. The word of God is clear about immorality being a horrible thing and teaching others to do the same is not a good thing.

Ponder these scriptures and ask yourselves if these "celebraties" really do shine like the stars before God.

Isa 5:20 Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!

Exd 20:14 Thou shalt not commit adultery.

Mat 19:9 And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except [it be] for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.

Gal 5:19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are [these]; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, 20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, 21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told [you] in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

Deu 23:2 A ###### shall not enter into the congregation of the LORD; even to his tenth generation shall he not enter into the congregation of the LORD.

Nothing like the word of God to put things in perspective. These people arent of God and dont deserve any esteem for flaunting their sin before man and God.

Jos 24:15 And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that [were] on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.

Not sweeping anything under the rug. I really guess that Jesus guy should have spent more time judging the hookers and lepers as opposed to loving them and wasting all that good recrimination on the religious elitist who used the law to slam the masses he reached out to on the Sabbath.

This is for all who seem to want to sweep the immorality under the rug and act as if its no big deal. The word of God is clear about immorality being a horrible thing and teaching others to do the same is not a good thing.

Monica, not one person has stated that. But what you have and are doing is judging the actors and the people of this forum. The message I am receiving from all the other posters is that they hate the sin, but love the sinner. When you blatantly and openly show love and goodwill towards those who have sinned, you are not Condoning their actions, you are giving to them the love that Christ has given to you.

IMO Monica you are a stuffed/ self-rightous shirt and I am ever so thankful not to belong to your Ward, (there is serious doubt that you are even LDS anyway) Who knows you could be the pinched nosed ol bat in my Ward!

<div align="center"><span style="color:#3366FF"># John 8: 7

7 So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.</div>

Guest Monica

Not sweeping anything under the rug. I really guess that Jesus guy should have spent more time judging the hookers and lepers as opposed to loving them and wasting all that good recrimination on the religious elitist who used the law to slam the masses he reached out to on the Sabbath.

The sinners who hung out with Jesus REPENTED and TURNED AWAY from the sins. They didnt flaunt their sins either. Do not confuse the issue of why celebraties are larger than life when they live Godlessly. The name and story of Jesus is not something new to those mentioned in this thread.

Monica, not one person has stated that. But what you have and are doing is judging the actors and the people of this forum. The message I am receiving from all the other posters is that they hate the sin, but love the sinner. When you blatantly and openly show love and goodwill towards those who have sinned, you are not Condoning their actions, you are giving to them the love that Christ has given to you.

<div align="center"># John 8: 7

7 So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.

Reread the thread. Some here were elated over the birth of brangelina's illigitamate child which she obtained when angelina stole jennifer's husband.

As for john 8 that was already discussed in the thread with the documentation from the law of moses in detail. Its a good read.

Do we know everyone he hung with and healed repented? I've never read that part. I never knew that His love had condition.

The birth of any child is a beautiful affair. God has taken the time to count and know every hair on that child. I suppose the alternative to having it would be acceptable? No. It wouldn't.

Do we have to go through the list of great men and women of God who were born illegitimate?

I have a cousin who had a child out of wedlock when she was seventeen. Her parents kicked her out and she lived with me and my grandparents. Yeah, my little Beckie fornicated. She also gave birth to the third most beautiful baby in the world. Her name is Sam. Sam is 13 now and is in ballet. She has green eyes and loves the White Sox. She can smoke most boys her age at fantasy football.

Angelina's baby is quite lovely. While you throw stones, are you praying for them to raise their child right, or have you already decided it is hopeless for them? Is it hopeless for Sam...considering the circumstances of her birth. Let me know so I can tell her mom. I would also like to call Angelina's agent. They have a right to know their b***** and all they do is worthless.

The good news is a message of love and compassion and second chances that we do not deserve. Me, you, angelina, brad, sam. None of us deserve it, but it is right there in front of us. Not a bad deal.

Guest Monica

Do we know everyone he hung with and healed repented? I've never read that part. I never knew that His love had condition.

Jhn 5:14 Afterward Jesus findeth him in the temple, and said unto him, Behold, thou art made whole: sin no more, lest a worse thing come unto thee.

Jesus told people to repent and still tells people to repent. Jesus is not, was not, and will never be a doormat or an excuse for sin.

We also know that Jesus healed. Yet, there was a beggar outside the temple gates for John to meet after Jesus ascended. The beggar was a cripple, it was likely his spot for years. Jesus likely walked by him many a time.

To say everyone Jesus met repented or was healed is as much speculation as it is that they were not all healed or repented. We never get to hear if the woman at the well lived happily ever after. We do know King David took another man's wife, killed the guy in a preggy cover up, paid the price for his sin and was still blessed by God. We know of Jesus praying alone in the garden despite wishes for companionship, we know Jesus was denied three times by one who claimed to love Jesus and yet lied as Jesus suffered. We know the Bible is full of imperfect people who sinned even after knowing the truth and were still blessed.

If you wanna play the Bible memory verse game, I could do it, but I find it to be cheap. But, like the famous verse in proverbs

A bribe is as a precious stone in the eyes of him that hath it; Whithersoever it turneth, it prospereth.

, few verses are clear without the complete context, cultural climate at the moment of the writing, who was writing, who was written to, why was written, etc.

Jesus tells us to repent. He tells us to sin no more. I have yet to go an entire day without sinning. How about you? Where does that leave us if you answer honestly?

I will do a little self examination based on the ten commandments. They sey if you have killed on man in cold blood, you are a murderer. I will stick with that logic. I have told lies, so I am a liar. I stole some stuff in my life, so I am a thief. I have envied other people their nice cars or nice laptop so I covet. I may even be an idolater on that score. The Bible does tell me if I so much as look at a woman with lust, I may as well have committed the deed, so (speaking of Angelina) I am an adulterer. I have used the Lord's name in vain, so I am a blasphemer. The book of James tells me that when I gossip about someone I have murdered them, so I am also a murderer.

Yet, I still consider myself to be a great a dad, humble before God, and my wife tells me that I am a great husband. I have done some good things for other people and received recognition for such. I may not be famous, but I am a reprobate who has done some good stuff and no one has negated the good I have done or removed the credit or said the good I have done should not be recognized. Anything good that comes from me is due to the grace bestowed on me. The love without end.