Would someone do me a favor?

Guest tbaird22

Guest tbaird22

I would appreciate it if someone could make me a list of dated church books and their replacements :) for example I loved jesus the christ but am now hearing its dated :( thank you!

Jesus the Christ is dated in a couple areas, but the overwhelming majority of it is just as accurate and valid today as it has ever been. One area that came up recently is the understanding of the exact date of Jesus' birth. While it may be an inaccuracy, it hardly renders the entire book as 'dated'. Nor is the actual date of Jesus' birth very significant in light of everything else about him that is discussed in the book. I'm reading through it again for the umpteenth time, and I can't think of any other areas that are dated that I have come across so far.

Considering the amount of time and effort that was devoted to putting it together (much of the work was done in the SLC temple because that was the only place Talmage could be truly isolated from distractions), I really don't see anyone working up a replacement any time soon.

Having said that, and with the understanding that it is by far my favorite non-scriptural book, I could see someone trying to make a similar work that is more approachable to the reader. A few people tell me it's too dry and clinical for their taste.

As far as other books, the rest of the 'missionary library' comes to mind. I understand that changes have been made to it since the late '90's, but I don't have any details.

Edited by RipplecutBuddha

Guest tbaird22

I am with you Still Small Voice. as for how it is dated, ive merely heard that its inaccurate now but apparently thats only on the birth and if thats all then im still happy with it.

I feel like I'm having a 'convert moment.' Ok, I've been a member since I was 9, but I've never even heard of this. It's like when I found out Stake and General Conference have Saturday sessions, I had no idea!

So, where do I purchase this book?

How is it dated if the Church still publishes it?

More than that, unless it changed in the last few years it is still part of the missionary library.

I am with you Still Small Voice. as for how it is dated, ive merely heard that its inaccurate now but apparently thats only on the birth and if thats all then im still happy with it.

By and large he doesn't go into history, but he does during the apostasy chapter, so there may be a some outdated info contained in that chapter as well. The core of the book though is doctrine (or exposition on such), not history, and so resists becoming outdated.

Jesus The Christ is one of the best books ever written. I has given me knowledge of the Savior I never would have had had I not read it.

My bishop recommended it and I am reading it, little by little, now. Yes, there are some things that I find dated - certainly the language is a little dated and could be considered racist or anti-Semitic in places (that could just be my sensitivities showing), but it is certainly worth reading. I find it useful to read the notes and the actual the scripture references as I'm not very familiar with the Bible.

I feel like I'm having a 'convert moment.' Ok, I've been a member since I was 9, but I've never even heard of this. It's like when I found out Stake and General Conference have Saturday sessions, I had no idea!

So, where do I purchase this book?

If you have an iPad or Kindle, you can get it from Amazon for .99 cents.

None of Talmage's works use the Joseph Smith Translation, which can greatly change the context or meaning of a verse. Recognizing the great foundation Elder Talmage laid, Elder McConkie tossed his own hat in the ring with A New Witness for the Articles of Faith (compared with Talmage's The Articles of Faith) and the Messiah series (compared with Jesus the Christ). These books were written about 50 years after Talmage's. The Messiah series is 5 books that are faith-based (like Talmage's - that is, not primarily intended as a scholarly work, but rather as one that provides primarily a doctrinal context and secondarily a historic context for the Gospels) using some of the same source material as Talmage while also using some more recent sources.

For historical context, the manner of crucifixion is different in the two works. For doctrinal(?) difference, I've mentioned the use of the JST leading to some different explanations. And then there's some general differences just because who's writing it. Talmage states that the imprisoned Baptist sent messengers to Jesus to shore up his faith. McConkie says the purpose was for the messengers to move from the water Baptist to the fire Baptist. Neither offers strong support for his stance.

Beyond these two, I can't think of any more recent Apostles (or even Seventy) who have attempted to paint the Savior's life as a landscape - even though we have even more documents today and digs fleshing out more details of the "times of Jesus the Messiah".