Cremation Or Burial?

It would think that most have an opinion on this.

Just recently I was talking to one of this sisters in my ward and she told me that she would choose to be cremated for 800.00 as opposed to 13,000.00 for a nice funeral. She followed it with saying that the church has not said that it was wrong to be cremated so she would rather has that money go to her remaining family than to a mortuary.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, some time ago it stopped making sense to me to preserve dead bodies. I'd rather be put in the ground in a natural state or cremated. Preserving a corpse just makes no sense to me any more.

By the way; I keep seeing quotes from Church leaders saying cremation is "not encouraged," but it is not forbidden. So your friend is right about that.

http://www.lightplanet.com/mormons/daily/h...emation_EOM.htm

As Van Hale said,

We reaffirm the perspective that the body is good and, as a creation of God, is to be respected. But as the Church has moved into nations other than the United States, there has been recognition that cultural practices differ. Generally, Latter-day Saints in the Western world have felt that nothing should be done which is destructive to the body. That should be left to nature. Church leaders have counseled that only in unusual circumstances or where required by law should cremation take place.

Ultimately, after consultation with the Lord and with priesthood leaders, the family must decide what to do. If the person has been endowed, some special instructions are available for the family from local priesthood leaders. Even if a body is cremated, a funeral service may be held if the ashes are buried or deposited in a mausoleum.

Where there is no overriding reason to cremate, burial is still the preferred method of handling our dead. In the end, however, we should remember that the resurrection will take place by the power of God, who created the heavens and the earth. Ultimately, whether a person’s body was buried at sea, destroyed in combat or an accident, intentionally cremated, or buried in a grave, the person will be resurrected.

No clearer picture of God’s restorative powers can be found than Ezekiel’s vision of the valley of dry bones (see Ezek. 37), in which he sees the bones gathered together and clothed with sinews and flesh by the power of God. Nothing that is done to the body will in the end prevent the purpose of our Lord from being fulfilled. Our bodies and our spirits will finally be reunited in the resurrection of the dead. (Ensign, Aug 1991)

On a different note: At one time, when we lived in Nashville, I wanted to be fed to the white tigers at the zoo when I died. Wouldn't that be cool? Picture a cub scout troop touring the zoo; they get to the tiger exhibit and two keepers hurl my corpse into the cage, the tigers pounce... :lol:

On a different note: At one time, when we lived in Nashville, I wanted to be fed to the white tigers at the zoo when I died. Wouldn't that be cool? Picture a cub scout troop touring the zoo; they get to the tiger exhibit and two keepers hurl my corpse into the cage, the tigers pounce... :lol:

OK Outshined, THAT is quite morbid... ICK!

Check out this article about green funerals, costing around $2300. I read about this concept a while back and thought it was really interesting. They don't preserve the bodies, but allow the body and the casket to biodegrade. I can see doing something like this. http://www.beliefnet.com/story/156/story_15622_2.html

You know, some time ago it stopped making sense to me to preserve dead bodies. I'd rather be put in the ground in a natural state or cremated. Preserving a corpse just makes no sense to me any more.

By the way; I keep seeing quotes from Church leaders saying cremation is "not encouraged," but it is not forbidden. So your friend is right about that.

http://www.lightplanet.com/mormons/daily/h...emation_EOM.htm

As Van Hale said,

We reaffirm the perspective that the body is good and, as a creation of God, is to be respected. But as the Church has moved into nations other than the United States, there has been recognition that cultural practices differ. Generally, Latter-day Saints in the Western world have felt that nothing should be done which is destructive to the body. That should be left to nature. Church leaders have counseled that only in unusual circumstances or where required by law should cremation take place.

Ultimately, after consultation with the Lord and with priesthood leaders, the family must decide what to do. If the person has been endowed, some special instructions are available for the family from local priesthood leaders. Even if a body is cremated, a funeral service may be held if the ashes are buried or deposited in a mausoleum.

Where there is no overriding reason to cremate, burial is still the preferred method of handling our dead. In the end, however, we should remember that the resurrection will take place by the power of God, who created the heavens and the earth. Ultimately, whether a person’s body was buried at sea, destroyed in combat or an accident, intentionally cremated, or buried in a grave, the person will be resurrected.

No clearer picture of God’s restorative powers can be found than Ezekiel’s vision of the valley of dry bones (see Ezek. 37), in which he sees the bones gathered together and clothed with sinews and flesh by the power of God. Nothing that is done to the body will in the end prevent the purpose of our Lord from being fulfilled. Our bodies and our spirits will finally be reunited in the resurrection of the dead. (Ensign, Aug 1991)

Oh no! Outshined,

Do you want those kids to go screaming out of the zoo like that. :D:P

Shanstress,

Interesting article about green burials. Thank you for sharing! :)

Guest Monica

Rev 20:13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.

Ecc 12:6 Or ever the silver cord be loosed, or the golden bowl be broken, or the pitcher be broken at the fountain, or the wheel broken at the cistern. 7 Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.

It doesnt matter how one disposes of a corpse be it by cremation or funeral. For our organic flesh bodies will return to nature.

As for the green funerals that is a wonderful idea. I propose that bodies be burried and a fruit tree be planted at the site, which will be fertilized by the organic components of the body. This brings life where death was and the fruit feeds others be it people or animals.

Just recently I was talking to one of this sisters in my ward and she told me that she would choose to be cremated for 800.00 as opposed to 13,000.00 for a nice funeral. She followed it with saying that the church has not said that it was wrong to be cremated so she would rather has that money go to her remaining family than to a mortuary.

I do not know how important money is when one dies but here is a thought. As a final act of love, service and sacrifice one could donate their body to a medical university. There is not cost and the medical schools have a great need ever since a federal law was passed that the homeless could not be disposed of in that manner.

The Traveler

In some places cremation is required by law (like where they have a high water table). Right now, I'd be inclined to go with cremation--why spend all that money on a burial? Also, if burning/cremation is good enough for the US flag, it's good enough for me! :P But it's not a big issue for me.

Guest Monica

I do not know how important money is when one dies but here is a thought. As a final act of love, service and sacrifice one could donate their body to a medical university. There is not cost and the medical schools have a great need ever since a federal law was passed that the homeless could not be disposed of in that manner.

The Traveler

That is another excellent idea. I know of many medical students that were so impressed by being able to study a cadaver and held esteem for the person who donated the body. Its a first hand approach to be able to see not only the mechanics of the human body, but to also see what disease looks like in the body and recognize symptoms. A great teaching tool.

<div class='quotemain'>

The Traveler

That is another excellent idea. I know of many medical students that were so impressed by being able to study a cadaver and held esteem for the person who donated the body. Its a first hand approach to be able to see not only the mechanics of the human body, but to also see what disease looks like in the body and recognize symptoms. A great teaching tool.

I'm glad some feel comfortable doing that, because it doesn't seem like something I'd be interested in.

OK

I worked for a funeral home years ago, I was the one that picked you up and took you to the home. It paid well since it was on the Yukon and one accident on a hunting trip out of town and my rent was paid.

I was paid by the mileage and pick-up. We were the only morgue facility in the territory.

You ask any person in the business and they will tell you that cremation is just as costly as any Plane Jaen funeral. (No trimmings)

The one thing that is not really talked about it the lack of respect for the body that cremation brings. For this reason, it is not encouraged by the church.

You tell me if you think it is respectful or not.

Cremation burns away all the flesh and organs to gas, smaller bone’s be come ash like.

Larger bones such as your leg bones or pelvis are sent through a crusher. Those bones that are to large are discarded (in the trash).

You do not receive your whole love one back in that tinny urn.

That’s the fact, you think about that and you might change your mind.

I will be buried thank you.

OK

I worked for a funeral home years ago, I was the one that picked you up and took you to the home. It paid well since it was on the Yukon and one accident on a hunting trip out of town and my rent was paid.

I was paid by the mileage and pick-up. We were the only morgue facility in the territory.

You ask any person in the business and they will tell you that cremation is just as costly as any Plane Jaen funeral. (No trimmings)

The one thing that is not really talked about it the lack of respect for the body that cremation brings. For this reason, it is not encouraged by the church.

You tell me if you think it is respectful or not.

Cremation burns away all the flesh and organs to gas, smaller bone’s be come ash like.

Larger bones such as your leg bones or pelvis are sent through a crusher. Those bones that are to large are discarded (in the trash).

You do not receive your whole love one back in that tinny urn.

That’s the fact, you think about that and you might change your mind.

I will be buried thank you.

I don't think it is disrespectful to be cremated. I see the body as a shell, that means absolutely nothing when your soul has gone on to bigger and better things. It's just something to be disposed of.

If it is just disposable then why dress the dead if they are endowed members?

It is not just a fad. We are all called forth on that grate day.

The body is more then just a shell it is a gift from heavenly father.

We come here for many purposes one is to receive that body live through life’s experiences and prepare to return to his presence.

Sending grandma through a oven a grander and what does not fit just toss it in the dumpster out back, is that part of his plane ???????

My stepfather was cremated after my mother allowed our family to have a regular funeral.

(rented casket) this gave my children closer. Not grandpa in a small box that was later buried back in Michigan. My stepfather was a church member, inactive.

Our bishop asked us how long before his interment. The thought being that the spirit will not rest until it is returned to the earth. It was a little more to it then that but that jest of it.

I went to visit my mother in her bedroom before she left to drive to Michigan.

They moved in with us when Bert became ill.

I found sitting on her dresser his urn. First, I asked her why she did not respect my request of leaving his remains at the FH until her trip? This again was for my children. She gave me some load of BS that the FH called. Yad yad yad……….

Like I did not make all the arrangements, Duh mom.

She had been telling us all this time that her cats (3) had been acting wearied since Bert’s death. It was at that moment I realized why. My mother’s large cat Pushkin who loved to sleep on Bert’s head when he napped was now sitting on top of the pretty hand caved urn his ashes were in.

By the way, my mother has had all her cat cremated since then and has asked me to place them in to her urn when she dies. I have agreed but told her I was going to put Pushkin’s ashes in Bert’s grave since she loved to be with him. She agreed.

I know we are told to fallow the prophet and I try very hard to. But my question is why do we insists on choosing worldly ideas when it has already been spelled out for us.

The statement "not encouraged," but it is not forbidden” is because we are a worldwide church and some places in the world there is no other choice.

Just as the standards of youth ,dating, have to fallow those traditions in other lands.

I feel blessed in knowing my family (children) will fallow my wishes when I am gone.

By the Way if you want it your way, pre-pay funeral plans are the way to go. None wants to spend money to change your plan and FH are held to that contract.

If it is just disposable then why dress the dead if they are endowed members?

It is not just a fad. We are all called forth on that grate day.

The body is more then just a shell it is a gift from heavenly father.

We come here for many purposes one is to receive that body live through life’s experiences and prepare to return to his presence.

Sending grandma through a oven a grander and what does not fit just toss it in the dumpster out back, is that part of his plane ???????

I'm not sure what 'dressing the dead' is (if it involves more than just not leaving a dead body naked), as I didn't experience a loss while I was LDS. I think we go through these rituals more for the living than the dead. But I don't expect anyone to agree with me on this... these are my beliefs.

And I do believe that our body was a gift, as was our very life... but once you're dead, I don't think it is of value anymore.

Other than being gross and disrespectful... not to mention illegal, I don't see that tossing the body in a dumpster would really make a difference in the big picture. What about Lori Hacking? If she wasn't found in the landfill, and in fact remained there, would her salvation have been affected? I certainly don't believe it would have.

Funny we're talking about this, as my grandmother passed away on Sat. and she is being cremated possibly as we speak. That's what she wanted, and I don't disagree with it for a second. Her ashes will be buried with my grandfather's ashes, in the National Cemetery in Quantico - he was a retired Marine and fought in WW2.

Again my eyes have been opened.

I didn't know that there was a cremation cemetary. The only time I have seen someone who has been turned into ashes was on a movie. I have seen them placed in a ern or scattered somewhere special to that person. Sorry about the loss of your grandma Shanstress. One thing that I thought about is going to visit the grave if someone I loved dies. My mom died about three years ago and years before she died she told me that I had better visit her grave site. I do this for her because I don't believe that her grave site is where she is. My mom has been with me since she passed away.

Sorry about the loss of your grandma Shanstress. One thing that I thought about is going to visit the grave if someone I loved dies.

Thanks SF. It wasn't unexpected, but still very sad.

My ex-boyfriend's father died when my ex was quite young. His ashes were scattered in a beautiful lake that has a walking trail around it. We used to go every weekend that we could and take a walk around the lake. It always brought him much peace and he felt as though he was close to his dad.

Just a for instance...what if someone dies and there is no body.

Those people who died in 911 many of them didn't have bodies to bury. I think that our Heavenly Father will take care of the body reuniting with our spirit kind of thing. :dontknow:

Those people who died in 911 many of them didn't have bodies to bury. I think that our Heavenly Father will take care of the body reuniting with our spirit kind of thing. :dontknow:

That's what I was asking about with the Lori Hacking incident. They found her body in the landfill, but they just as easily could have not. Surely she would not pass GO. As I said before, I think all we do with ceremonies, etc. for the dead is for us (the living) more than for them. They will be treated the same, regardless.

<div class='quotemain'>

That's what I was asking about with the Lori Hacking incident. They found her body in the landfill, but they just as easily could have not. Surely she would not pass GO. As I said before, I think all we do with ceremonies, etc. for the dead is for us (the living) more than for them. They will be treated the same, regardless.

I know about the Lori Hacking incident. It happened in July-August 2004, I just didn't know if Winnie knew about it. :) The reason I know when it happened is because it happened here, in Utah, the same time Nick was in the hospital. I clearly remember going to Crown Burger one day for lunch and seeing the flyer saying that she had been jogging in that area. :huh: I also agree that the ceremonies are for the living and a last gift of respect and devotion to our loved one. If someone chooses to have another form other than a burial I now think that it is their choice.

A few months ago we thought that we were going to lose our 17 year old dog. This dog has been around as long as some of my children. We were devastated, as we took him to the vet as a family. The vet told us that he had a bacteria and that an antibiotic would clear up his problem. We had already made the decision that if he was going to need to be put to sleep that we would want to have his ashes and have them buried someday with my husband. Might sound a bit extreme for some but it is a comforting thought to know that when the time comes for my husband to go (many many MANY years from now) he will be buried with the dog who was so very dedicated to him his whole life. Just another choice we have made in advance. :) The dog did rebound and continues to give us joy as he prancers around like he did when he was seven. :D

When it comes to no body I think we need to remember that Heavenly father knows were that person is even if it is lost at sea or in the wilderness or 911.

My stepfather and mother were and will be cremated that is their wish.

They will also be buried miles away from their life’s ends.

Even though it is not my faith, it was theirs. My stepfathers wish was to be buried in Michigan and that would have been months in happening if my mother had not drove him there her self.

Since I seem to be the one in my family that is trusted to handle all the death and dieing part of life, they come to me. That calls for an understanding that their wishes must be carried out even if it is not my cup of tea.

I think it is important to know what their wishes are, talk to them. Most people that are ill or reach that jumping off stage of their lives are very open to the subject.

My brother will not talk about our mothers wishes and yet I can tell my mother I will find a model U-Hale truck to bury her in and she loves the idea. This shocks my aunt who can’t find the smile in all of it. But yet on that day her friends and family will remember her with a giggle and a smile because of it.

Respect must be kept in mind in all things when dealing with the death of a loved one.

Never go to a FH with out someone who is there to help you carry out the wishes of the one who has past. Don’t let your grief guide you. Start with the basics and if needs be you can call the FH back and change your mind. Take time never rush, if family is flying in you have time. Make your wishes known before your family has to deal with it.

My husband and children know does yours?

I LOVE the U-haul truck idea!!!

I agree final wishes are very important. My mother had always told us that she wanted to have her wedding rings on her finger when she was buried. When she died the thought never crossed my mind to question that. I took her ring and had it cleaned. I took several pictures of it as well. On the day of her funeral I gave it to my dad and he placed it on her ring finger, left hand. A year ago I was talking to my dad about my mom and how important it was for her to be buried with her wedding rings on. He asked me if I knew why. I said no and he proceeded to tell me that she wanted it because that is what her own mother did and she didn't want her two daughters to fight over it. My one and only sibling told me that HE wouldn't have minded the ring going to me. :dontknow:

This kind of reminds me of the story of the woman who always cut her pot roast in half before cooking it. She past this down to her daughter. When the grand daughter came along she asked her mom why she did this and she said because her mother had always done so. The grand daughter went to her grandmother and asked her why she had done this and she told her she had always done this because her pot wasn't big enough for the whole thing. :lol:

Am I sorry now that I won't have my mother's wedding ring? No, I am happy that I honored her wish. :)