Scholars chase Bible's changes

Connie

A worthy and worthwhile effort. Glad someone's attempting to do this. But the reported fascination of some Evangelicals over this reminds me of Nibley's observation that it's ironic to see religious archaeologists searching in the dust of death and decay to find out about eternal life. Those who reject continuing revelation must of necessity try to find the purest fountain of revealed truth on which to base their lives; but of course, the very nature of the teachings of the gospel prevent it from being transmitted primarily by ink on paper. It is a dynamic process of teaching from heaven, the text serving as nothing more than an aid.

Such efforts as these are interesting and even useful. But from the perspective of one who follows revealed truth as given through living prophets, they seem woefully inadequate to give any real, important insights into life-changing truths of eternal import.

When's the last time we had revelation in the form of scripture?

Depends entirely on your definition of scripture. Three obvious answers might be:

• Last General Conference
  • The 1995 Proclamation on the Family
  • The 1978 Priesthood revelation

When is the last time a prophet said thus saith the lord.

This morning, perhaps?

This was interesting. Any thoughts?

A few different thoughts:

1) While Christians often criticize LDS for the 8th article of faith ("...as far as it is translated correctly."), it seems that, at least at some level, Christians also believe in "as far as it is translated correctly." I find it admirable that they will put forward their best scholarship to try to come up with the best translation they can.

2) The bit about the story of the adulterous woman that is now in John's gospel, but doesn't appear to have been something John put in was interesting. The conclude that it is an actual event that early copyists tried to shoehorn somewhere in the Bible so the story wouldn't get lost. It is just an interesting part of how the Bible seems to have come together over the centuries.

I'm more interested in what the results of this study do in the way of the age-old argument regarding the number of changes to the Book of Mormon since its first publishing. My guess is not much for the more vitirolic group. However among the more level-headed I feel it will be quite an educational project.

I look forward to seeing what comes of it, just as I am regarding Royal Skousen and his similar efforts with the Book of Mormon.

Netgood, why must a prophet start off with "thus saith the Lord"? Did Jesus say, "thus saith me" everytime he wanted to say something official?

We have teachings of prophets and apostles, some of which become core doctrine, some becoming inspired policy, etc. And some gives spiritual guidance. In 1998, Pres Hinckley spoke in Priesthood session of General Conference, warning us of an upcoming economic crisis. He quoted from the story of Joseph and Pharaoh. He said he wasn't predicting a Depression, but did speak about the Great Depression and how it affected people. He then told us to get out of debt, buy a modest home and pay it off.

Ten years later, the economy tanked. Sounds like his prophecy and warning, even without "thus saith the Lord" was one that people should have listened to.

To Vort's list, I would add this one. I'd also add the revelation for smaller temples (which helps us accomplish Brigham Young's vision of having hundreds of temples in the Millennium), Pres Benson's warning to read the Book of Mormon or have a curse fall on us, and Family Home Evening.