They've gone crazy in my RS

dahlia

I've been asked to give the lesson this Sunday. Surely these women must be mainlining coffee if they think this was a smart move. :D

That'll learn me not to give a testimony on Fast Sunday.

Ohhhh! You're going to do great! And what a blessing this is gonna be!

So, this Sunday is from the manual right? Shouldn't be too bad. ;)

Dahlia, I would love to be there in RS and hear your lesson! Whenever I read any of your posts, I think of you as a wonderful, colorful character, and I think you'd bring pizzazz to any lesson! Plus, I think you have great insight and will be able to bring the Spirit into the lesson.

Whenever I've taught in RS, I always learned so much more than what I actually shared with the class. Back-in-the-day, we didn't have LDS.org, and I'd go through Ensign after Ensign, all of my church books, and scriptures, trying to find anything that would contribute to the lesson. LDS.org makes it so much easier to search a topic. You'll do great!

I've been asked to give the lesson this Sunday. Surely these women must be mainlining coffee if they think this was a smart move. :D

That'll learn me not to give a testimony on Fast Sunday.

If you think THAT'S bad, wait til they ask you to speak in Sacrament meeting.

I spoke, and 2 weeks later I was called to be the Assistant Webelos leader in the cub scouts!

(It's kinda like paying your car registration. They figure that you're responsible enough, so they use that database to call you to jury duty too.) :D

So, it went OK. I found it hard to plan out the time like I would for a class because I've been in very active lessons and in lessons where getting a response was like pulling teeth. The lesson was on honesty, from the manual. I never teach to the text (if you didn't read it, that's your issue, not mine. I'm there to provide info that's not in the text/manual.), so I had some intro and then divided the room in two (we have a lot of ladies with babies in those baby pod carrier things. I knew they couldn't move around too much) and passed out different questions for each half of the room. I left them to discuss in a group and then we heard the responses and discussed as a whole.

I added another issue about teens and online gossip, especially in light of the suicides of young people over this terrible behavior, so all in all, it was a good lesson, I think. I got compliments, so either they were being very nice or I actually did OK.

The freakish thing for me was the bishop saying he knew the spirit would be with me for my first lesson - the LDS must have a grapevine like nothing else I've experienced. How would he know? How would most of the ward know I don't eat meat? It's bizarre. I mean really - y'all wouldn't be gossiping, would you? : )

Guest mormonmusic

Yes, I remember an LDS author who pokes fun at our culture. He had a cartoon of a Bishop speaking over the pulpit at the end of sacrament meeting saying "As we move to Sunday School, please be reverent as you are gossipping in the hall".

This reminds me of my best friend back in college. She confessed to us that while she had a testimony of the church and the gospel and all that, she did not have one of Relief Society. We advised her to pray about it and ask for opportunities to be involved in Relief Society and thus gain a testimony of it.

I regret to say that two weeks later she was called as RS president of our student ward.

Poor, poor girl. At least she now has a testimony of it.