Trying

dopeflutterby

I have moved away from the Mormon loving Utah. I am finding it hard to do well in another state. To me it seems as though it is more difficult to feel like you belong. The wards seem unwelcoming, or maybe it is just me. Although I have now been in my 3rd ward, from moving, and am finally staying. I am hoping that it will get better and I will let myself feel more welcome. It also seems difficult to choose the right more. With family now around me, many who aren't LDS, Sundays are "get together" days. Am I choosing the right? Not all the time. I wish I was back were it was easier.

Just sayin' to myself...

I have moved away from the Mormon loving Utah. I am finding it hard to do well in another state. To me it seems as though it is more difficult to feel like you belong. The wards seem unwelcoming, or maybe it is just me. Although I have now been in my 3rd ward, from moving, and am finally staying. I am hoping that it will get better and I will let myself feel more welcome. It also seems difficult to choose the right more. With family now around me, many who aren't LDS, Sundays are "get together" days. Am I choosing the right? Not all the time. I wish I was back were it was easier.

Just sayin' to myself...

There's a plus side you might find over time. The Seattle-Tacoma area is 63% "religion unclaimed," meaning that, for most of the public, ALL CHURCHES are cults. :sparklygrin: I'm being somewhat facetious, but a person of rigorous religious practice is an oddity in the Pacific Northwest. The upside? Church is for believers, not hypocrites looking for social connections, or AMWAY folk looking for prospects. There is little obvious social advantage to joining any church, so the ones who do, generally are genuine in their faith journey. Furthermore, spiritual brokeness is less shocking out here in the hinterlands. WHAT? Saints that aren't perfect? Ya sure, ya betcha! One church here even has a wonderful slogan: NO PERFECT CHRISTIANS ALLOWED!!!

Another plus is that once you fit in, you'll find your small community might bond even tighter, for lack of casual contact with the faithful outside.

I spent a season of four years in the Bible belt. Yes, it was a faith-affirming environment--one rich with worship and growth opportunities. However, the presumption of being in the majority dulled one's need to seek God, if you weren't careful. Also, 'winning the lost' became more of an abstract concept.

So, look up, and get busy--somebody probably prayed that the Lord would send laborers for the harvest, and He sent you! B)

The average person only knows 15 non-family people beyond a casual level. Most places in the United States have wards or branches of more than 15. Just get involved with people.

Also, there's nothing wrong with family get-togethers on Sundays as long as you attend church and also keep your standards.

• 1 month later...

I was in the opposite situation. I lived in a very anti-mormon area and found it very easy to choose the right because our ward was so close, being that we HAD to stick together to stay strong. When I went out to BYU I thought it would be an oasis from sin. I found myself feeling less welcomed and I felt like just a number since there are so many LDS people. I also found myself more tempted than ever before. It is always hard to be in a new environment. Get to know people and have fun and try to get to know your new ward. Try to embrase the differences and not think about how much you wish you were in Utah. I hope that helps it is what helped me learn to love living out west. Good luck!

• 5 weeks later...

Just sayin' to myself...

Hi....I know how you feel, we moved from southern California to Northern Oregon about 9 years ago, we knew no one...no family lived anywhere close......The first time we went to church on Sunday I thought we were not going to even be welcomed into the ward.....nobody introduced themselves to us...not a soul. My wife and I talked about it the following week and we agreed that instead of making a judgement of the people in the ward we were going to introduce ourselves to as many people as we could the next Sunday. It was actually funny, we arrived to church 30 minutes early and the whole family stood in the foyer near the chapel doors and we introduced ourselves to everyone who passed through the doors that morning....at the beginning of the Sacrament meeting the Bishop was doing the ward business and said,"...and I'm sure most of you have met the Dorsey's...but if you haven't please be sure to introduce yourself to them." It brought some chuckles but it was the perfect icebreaker. We went on to make sure we introduced ourselves to everyone....my wife in RS and me in Preisthood.....we now have many many dear friendships in the ward that will last forever. My point is most people have a tendency to avoid introducing themselves...and if you do it yourself you will break that barrier and will make more friends than you can imagine! Good luck!

• 3 months later...

<div class='quotemain'>

Just sayin' to myself...

Hi....I know how you feel, we moved from southern California to Northern Oregon about 9 years ago, we knew no one...no family lived anywhere close......The first time we went to church on Sunday I thought we were not going to even be welcomed into the ward.....nobody introduced themselves to us...not a soul. My wife and I talked about it the following week and we agreed that instead of making a judgement of the people in the ward we were going to introduce ourselves to as many people as we could the next Sunday. It was actually funny, we arrived to church 30 minutes early and the whole family stood in the foyer near the chapel doors and we introduced ourselves to everyone who passed through the doors that morning....at the beginning of the Sacrament meeting the Bishop was doing the ward business and said,"...and I'm sure most of you have met the Dorsey's...but if you haven't please be sure to introduce yourself to them." It brought some chuckles but it was the perfect icebreaker. We went on to make sure we introduced ourselves to everyone....my wife in RS and me in Preisthood.....we now have many many dear friendships in the ward that will last forever. My point is most people have a tendency to avoid introducing themselves...and if you do it yourself you will break that barrier and will make more friends than you can imagine! Good luck!

I'm not sure you're still reading these messages but if so.. well, here's my imput. I have lived in a variety of states, stakes, wards and situations through my life. Just remember, it's grand and it's needed to make friends and feel a part of the family of the ward you're in. You're just as much responsible for making that happen as others in that ward should be to help it happen. But why are you in the church to begin with? The people? If you lay your testimony at the feet of others, it will get trodden on. My mother once showed up at my ward as I was leaving the Stake President to prepare for a mission (she had not been active in many years) to talk with the Bishop regarding excommunication. When I asked her why, she said the "people this" and the "people" that... I reminded her that the foundation of the true gospel is not based on the people, they are, after all, fallable. It is based on the truthfullness of the Doctrine, of the Prophet and Apostles. The foundation is Christ our Savior and not John, Jacob, or Mytle down the street. Look to the doctrines to find your place no matter where you are. It never changes, but you are guarenteed that the people can. I suggest watching John Bytheway's "The Best 3 Hours of the Week". It's great! Good luck and God bless. (By the way, my mother never did get ex-communicated because she had a daughter who spoke out. She is very active, temple worthy, and has been cealed in the temple to my father.)