Studying Abroad

sweetoctober

I have the opportunity to study abroad on a scholarship for two to four years. The program itself recommends that you study in places that you wouldn't automatically pick, like Indonesia, or Russia. I would have a much better chance choosing a country like that instead of picking France, Italy, or a place like that. I was just wondering if anyone has studied abroad. I know that a lot of you have gone on missions, but I think that is a bit different than actually studying abroad; awesome, but different. Can you attend and actual school, or is more or less a study the culture type of thing? I am not sure I would want to go if that is what it entails, because I want to be smart about what I can eventually major in, and not back myself up into a corner like my french teacher confessed to doing. So in short, Study Abroad, good or bad, and personal experiences would be so appreciated =]

It's a scholarship through my particular school, and grant. I am starting out at a two year college before I decide which university I would like to attend. I've got a lot to sort out, you know? Anyway, this scholarship has very specific guidelines... for instance you must be receiving a particular grant (not a loan) and you have to be an undergraduate of so long. Your best bet is to research Study Abroad scholarships for your grant, loan, or whatever it is you have. They are all different. But if you are paying out of pocket than it is a different story entirely! What school are you going to?

I studied at the University of London. I think you need to think more about your program - you can't just go off and 'study' and not be connected with a program or arrange for getting credits. What do you want to do while you are overseas? I was quite the Anglophile. I studied Early English lit and wanted to read Beowulf in the original (I know, dork city), so I took Old English (which is actually more like German or the Nordic languages) and literature. I knew what I was doing and my university in the States approved my program.

If you want to study a particular political system, history, language, art, or whatever, you need to plan that out and make sure what you do will be covered by your home school. You don't want to spend 2 years overseas (that's a little long; most programs are 1 semester or 1 year) and not get credit for it when you return. Don't confuse getting it paid for (the scholarship), with getting credit and satisfying your home school's administrative requirements for study abroad. Why don't you contact the Study Abroad Office at your school and talk to someone there. They will be more help than we will be because they'll know the requirements you'll need to meet to get credit.

I have the opportunity to study abroad on a scholarship for two to four years. The program itself recommends that you study in places that you wouldn't automatically pick, like Indonesia, or Russia. I would have a much better chance choosing a country like that instead of picking France, Italy, or a place like that. I was just wondering if anyone has studied abroad. I know that a lot of you have gone on missions, but I think that is a bit different than actually studying abroad; awesome, but different. Can you attend and actual school, or is more or less a study the culture type of thing? I am not sure I would want to go if that is what it entails, because I want to be smart about what I can eventually major in, and not back myself up into a corner like my french teacher confessed to doing. So in short, Study Abroad, good or bad, and personal experiences would be so appreciated =]

Before life intervened with other plans I was planning on studying in Russia or Ukraine. The thing is, what are you studying that would relate to, say, Russia. If you have studied nothing about Russia, not the culture, not the history, not the language, then it will be an overwhelming case of culture shock and probably not extremely useful for you.

I travel a great deal in my work. I find Asia by far the most interesting. If I had your opportunity - I would pick Japan, China or Korea.

The Traveler

I studied for a semester each in Hong Kong, S. Korea, and the Philippines. In each I learned much about the country, culture, and about how I study and learn. Interestingly, my coursework was almost the same as I would have had in my U.S. school. In fact, I took one U.S. History course in Hong Kong, and another in Korea. The Korea exchange was so wonderful, I ended up returning after graduation for a stint that ended up lasting six years. So, my personal advice is to find out the best program, and just go--wherever it is.