Coke

sbales

Ok so we all know the word of wisdom. We know what we can't do and what we are suggested to eat, etc.

Here is my question. Why did the attitude about caffeinated drinks change? Everytime I pose this question to people, the first response is always, "no it didn't". Let me stop you there if that is your initial reaction.

Yes it did.

When I was growing up, it was wrong (wrong I tell you!) to drink a Coke. I am not sure if it would keep you from being temple worthy, because I wasn't old enough for that yet. But, the attitude was that you need to stay away from these types of sodas. As a child in primary, I remember being taught in church that we shouldn't drink drinks like coke or pepsi. I even remember a family home evening lesson we had on the word of wisdom. My mother and father both talked about coke, pepsi, etc. and how we should not drink them. Now, one of my father's favorite drinks is Big Red, which tastes exactly like the gum, and yes has caffeine.

When I was attending Ricks college, in any soda vending machine on campus, there were no caffeinated drinks to be found. Even Barq's Root Beer which normally has caffeine had a decaffeinated version of it's drink for Ricks (and I'm sure for BYU as well). I don't know if it is like that now, it has been 11 years since I have been up there.

The fact is, things have changed. No, there wasn't any official announcement made that said it was ok. We didn't hear anything from the pulpit. It just seemed that the attitude did change. The big problem here is that people outside the church still think that this is still one of those things that we don't do. I have been asked on many occasions, "I thought you people weren't allowed to drink Coke. Why do I see mormons drinking coke now?" This has sparked some silly stories like the church bought stock in Coke or Pepsi so now it is ok for as to drink it.

So, what do you think? Why have things changed regarding this matter.

You're right, the attitude does seem to have changed, though there is still a goodly number of holdouts who maintain Coke is against the Word of Wisdom. I can't speak for other people, but my attitude started changing during my mission (!), when my companion told me they would not withhold a temple recommend for drinking Coke. After my mission, I did a little research trying to find an official statement by the Church, but couldn't find any. A family member told me it was in one of the Church magazines (I forget if it was the Ensign or the New Era), even giving me the exact month and year of the magazine. She said she read an article in that issue that said Coke was against the Word of Wisdom, so I went to the Institute library to look it up. Well, I combed the magazine from cover to cover, and couldn't find a thing about Coke. When I thought about it some more, I couldn't remember ever having heard it said over the pulpit, either at General Conference, or in local meetings. So, the only logical conclusion I can come to is that Coke is not actually against the Word of Wisdom.

My parents told me not to drink Coke, etc. (except my mom would drink Pepsi when she had migraines), and it's quite possible they said something in Primary, Sunday School, or Aaronic Priesthood quorum meetings, but never over the pulpit as an official pronouncement.

I used to have a bishop who would bring Dr. Pepper to ward potlucks. Don't know if he was trying to shock people, or what! :D Now, several years later, he's a bishop again.

I do drink Coke from time to time :ahhh: , but don't drink much of any kind of pop. For one thing, it's a rip off. For another, it's unhealthy and doesn't satisfy. Fruit juice and milk are my favorite drinks, along with water (of course).

When I attended the LDS church in the UK from '78-'82 I never drank Coke or any other soft drinks/hot drinks that contained caffeine. My LDS friends didn't either. I did get a little obsessional tho, and wondered about hot chocolate and Lucozade and other drinks..(I'm not even sure if hot chocolate has caffeine in it but for some reason this was amongst the things that I thought were frowned upon).

Ok,

creating this post made me want to look to see if I could find anything. This is what I found from Elder Featherstone back in a Conference Preisthood session in 1975:

I was over in England a while back and a bishop asked me, “What is the Church’s stand on cola drinks?” I said, “Well, I can’t remember the exact wording of the bulletin, but I remember seeing the bulletin when I was a stake president. The Church, of course, advises against them.”

He said, “Well, I have read the Priesthood Bulletin, but that isn’t what it says to me.”

And I said, “Would you get your Priesthood Bulletin? Let’s read it together.” And so we found under the heading “Cola Drinks”: “… the leaders of the Church have advised, and we do now specifically advise, against use of any drink containing harmful habit-forming drugs. …” (The Priesthood Bulletin, Feb. 1972, p. 4.)

So, it seems to me that even though there may have never been an official announcment from the pulpit, there was a time when the church taught us not to drink cola drinks.

When I met my LDS friend in 1976, cola drinks were definitely not consumed by her and it was that way as I understand per "orders from headquarters (SLC)". The typical dating mantra was: "Lips that touch Coke will never touch mine!" When my SIL attended BYU during the late '80's many on campus did drink cola drinks. And now even though my friend still does not drink them her children do. So the attitude has changed these past 3 decades.

M.

My father-in-law was Stake President at the time an official letter recieved from the first presidency stated to not withhold members from obtaining a temple reccomend for drinking coke and/or decaf coffee.

If you want to get technical chocolate has caffiene in it too and I definately dont see any members refusing that!!!! I think its a personal issue. If you think soda is unhealthy and you shouldnt drink it, dont. If it doesnt bother you do. Thats my take. My in-laws think Im going to hell anyway for my diet dr pepper!

I remember that caffeine drinks were 'frowned upon' at the church functions. One year, I remember girls camp and the new de-caffe versions had just come out (yuck) and they were there along with the other soda's. Sometime 'off in the distance' you would see a leader with what we nick-named the 'fully leaded' version vs the 'unleaded' kind. Then over time, people just didn't question it anymore. Now like Steven's father, I like to have a diet energy drink to kick start my day. I know it isn't the best thing for me, but to go without leaves me feeling very groggy and irritable. I used to be addicted to diet coke and would get headaches if I didn't have it on a regular basis. I did break that habit and now only usually drink it on occasion. As far as the coffee and tea questions I have asked why they are mentioned and have been told that it is a lot of the acid that is in them that make them so bad for you. :dontknow:

President Spencer W. Kimball taught:

Generally when we speak of the Word of Wisdom, we are talking about tea, coffee, tobacco, and liquor, and all of the fringe things even though they might be detrimental are not included in the technical interpretation of the Word of Wisdom. I never drink any of the cola drinks and my personal hope would be that no one would. However, they are not included in the Word of Wisdom in its technical application. I quote from a letter from the secretary to the First Presidency, "But the spirit of the Word of Wisdom would be violated by the drinking or eating of anything that contained a habit-forming drug." With reference to the cola drinks, the Church has never officially taken any attitude on this at but I personally do not put them in the class as with the tea and coffee because the Lord specifically mentioned them [the hot drinks]…. I might say also that strychnine and sleeping pills and opium and heroin are not mentioned in the Word of Wisdom and yet I would discourage them with all my power. (The Teachings of Spencer W. Kimball, p.202)

President Heber J. Grant taught:

I am not going to give any command, but I will ask it as a personal, individual favor to me, to let coca-cola alone. There are plenty of other things you can get at the soda fountains without drinking that which is injurious. The Lord does not want you to use any drug that creates an appetite for itself. (Conference Report, April 1922, p.165)

http://www.lightplanet.com/mormons/daily/health/cola.htm

President Spencer W. Kimball taught:

Generally when we speak of the Word of Wisdom, we are talking about tea, coffee, tobacco, and liquor, and all of the fringe things even though they might be detrimental are not included in the technical interpretation of the Word of Wisdom. I never drink any of the cola drinks and my personal hope would be that no one would. However, they are not included in the Word of Wisdom in its technical application. I quote from a letter from the secretary to the First Presidency, "But the spirit of the Word of Wisdom would be violated by the drinking or eating of anything that contained a habit-forming drug." With reference to the cola drinks, the Church has never officially taken any attitude on this at but I personally do not put them in the class as with the tea and coffee because the Lord specifically mentioned them [the hot drinks]…. I might say also that strychnine and sleeping pills and opium and heroin are not mentioned in the Word of Wisdom and yet I would discourage them with all my power. (The Teachings of Spencer W. Kimball, p.202)

President Heber J. Grant taught:

I am not going to give any command, but I will ask it as a personal, individual favor to me, to let coca-cola alone. There are plenty of other things you can get at the soda fountains without drinking that which is injurious. The Lord does not want you to use any drug that creates an appetite for itself. (Conference Report, April 1922, p.165)

http://www.lightplanet.com/mormons/daily/health/cola.htm

I think that link sums it up...we have always been strongly encouraged to not drink colas, but it has never been officially part of the word of wisdom. Thanks for this link

CALLER: I was wondering about some of the guidelines in dietary restrictions Mormons live by, and how strictly members follow it. Because I was reading, once, the word of wisdom. My impression was that its major point was that one should respect all life, including animals and, as such, only consume them when absolutely necessary to sustain life, and to then eat them sparingly. But I've noticed that Mormon -- this is rarely followed by Mormons, and I'm wondering if this has anything to do with, as reported by "TIME" magazine.

Larry King: OK, president?

Gordon B. Hinckley: Oh, I don't know. You've read a part of the word of wisdom. The word of wisdom covers many things. It covers the excessive use of meat, as I see it. It covers, in a very particular way, the use of tobacco and alcohol.

Larry King: By saying no?

Gordon B. Hinckley: By saying, by proscribing those things.

Larry King: No to caffeine?

Gordon B. Hinckley: No to caffeine, coffee and tea.

http://lds-mormon.com/lkl_00.shtml

Mike Wallace [voiceover; footage of Gordon B. Hinckley interview]: Example. Mormons adhere to a very strict health code.

[Gordon B. Hinckley interview]

Mike Wallace: No alcohol, no tobacco, no coffee, no tea, not even caffeinated soft drinks...

Gordon B. Hinckley: Right.

http://www.lds-mormon.com/60min.shtml

I was in the Temple in LA a few years back and caffeine free diet Pepsi was on tap in the cafeteria.

Since then I drink it with no guilt!

When visiting Nauvoo in the summer you ask for a diet coke and caffeine free diet Pepsi is placed in front of you.

A friend who daughter served a hygiene mission in Guam said they had no trouble teaching the word of wisdom. The idea of drinking hot drinks is the norm for them.

Their taught that drinking anything hot damages the trout. So it’s no big deal to them.

When you think about it makes sense.

All things bad for the body should be taught if they could just make up what is right or wrong. Science can’t make up their minds, wine good, wine bad, coffee good, coffee bad on and on.

I think that sugar filled peach juice served at every activity should be put on the bad list once and for all!

Any body with me?!

If you want to get technical chocolate has caffiene in it too and I definately dont see any members refusing that!!!!

Phew! So there was logic behind my believing it was wrong to drink hot chocolate all those years ago!!

I'm interested to know what members think about the de-alcoholised wines that are available? I seem to recall that I was told, when I was attending, that anything that was 'de..' something or other, was still not suitable for consumption because it was believed it wasn't possible to take away all of the substance, caffeine or alcohol...

A friend who daughter served a hygiene mission in Guam said they had no trouble teaching the word of wisdom. The idea of drinking hot drinks is the norm for them.

Their taught that drinking anything hot damages the trout. So it’s no big deal to them.

When you think about it makes sense.

Well that's just silly. There aren't any trout in Guam. And extremely hot temperatures would kill any trout species whether in a river or lake.

Someones pulled the wool over your eyes Winnie. ;)

I'm interested to know what members think about the de-alcoholised wines that are available? I seem to recall that I was told, when I was attending, that anything that was 'de..' something or other, was still not suitable for consumption because it was believed it wasn't possible to take away all of the substance, caffeine or alcohol...

Isn't that just grape juice?

Tastes like it. ;)

I'm not referring to the soft drinks such as Schloer or grape juice that is sold as such in cartons, but the drinks that are referred to specifically as 'de-alcoholised' Wine...I may be thinking of 1 in particular called Eisberg, but will have to check that one out...also, what about Shandy which contains less than 0.05% beer/alcohol? is that not permitted either?

'FAME AT LAST!... A range of fine quality dealcoholised wines is being launched by Dublin Merchants House of Fame Limited…Dealcoholised wines, says company director Bob Dillon, are becoming a second sale for some people and a primary sale for others who don’t drink alcohol. December 1991'

http://www.checkout.ie/DrinksNews.asp?ID=34

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/04/...l?from=storyrhs

http://www.lono.co.uk/pagedisplay.asp?pageid=174

(links to articles referring to 'de-alcoholised' or 'non alcoholic' Wines.

Thanks Jason, that's interesting. Perhaps the LDS who I associated with in the 70's were a little stricter about what they consumed. It would be interesting to see whether or not they still do not drink 'de-caff/de-alcoholised' drinks or have moved with the times ala Coke!

I was never taught that cola drinks were wrong. My dad drank Pepsi. My mom drank Coke. My paternal grandparents drank Tab. I drink Diet Dr. Pepper.

OTH one of my best friends growing up wasn't aloud to drink any of those.

When I went to girls camp I always took Dr. Pepper with me. The relief society president came up once and brought a cooler of Diet Coke.

I think it is simply something that individuals need to decide for themselves.

<div class='quotemain'>

Tastes like it. ;)

having been a retail manager for over 15 years...odouls and other non-alcoholic beer and wines are still beer and wines...must be 21 to drink them...will gut a ticket if pulled over with an open container...can only buy during alcohol restricted hours/days

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

Tastes like it. ;)

having been a retail manager for over 15 years...odouls and other non-alcoholic beer and wines are still beer and wines...must be 21 to drink them...will gut a ticket if pulled over with an open container...can only buy during alcohol restricted hours/days

:hmmm: I am thinking of something totally different I think. The stuff I am thinking about is given my LDS neighbors at Christmas Time. It usually has some kind of foil over the lid. Spmetimes the foil has Santa printed on it.

Just a thought here.....but the Coca-Cola company started up in the mid to late 1880's and it was reported to have trace elements of cocaine in the syrup. Wouldn't that be considered as detrimental to the body as nicotine? That might have been a deciding factor when the prophets included "Coke" as a drink to stay away from.... The manufactures did away with that "secret ingredient" a long time ago.... maybe that's why it's not as high profile as it used to be.

I don't understand why there is so much emphasis on caffeine in drinks.... and nothing said about the level of sugars that parents are giving their children that promotes tooth decay, obesity and diabetes as they get older. Why not have Kool-Aid banned from the list too? Look at what a pure sugar drink is doing to our nations youth.

Just as a side note have you heard that Coke can eat through a Nail or it is used to clean the freeway? :o

LOL I don't' know about Coke....but I had a mechanics wife show me what Pepsi does to a rusty nail..... cleans it REALLY GOOD... right down to itty bitty. Maybe it's not the caffeine...maybe it's the acid they want us to abstain from. ;)